IGNORED

Tracking down ex player (my Dad)

Edd

Hello, it's a long shot but can anyone help? I'm trying to find out more about my father Bernard Smith who was a professional footballer for Bristol City. It's unclear whether he played for the first time or the reserves only but he was at the club around the late 50s early 60s and was a winger. He was born in Bristol in 1937. We've got a few press cuttings but not very much information at all and he passed away in 2021. If anyone knows anything about him it would mean a huge amount to me. He also had spells at Crewe and went on to play football for the RAF around the world during National Service. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 10:41, Edd said:

Hello, it's a long shot but can anyone help? I'm trying to find out more about my father Bernard Smith who was a professional footballer for Bristol City. It's unclear whether he played for the first time or the reserves only but he was at the club around the late 50s early 60s and was a winger. He was born in Bristol in 1937. We've got a few press cuttings but not very much information at all and he passed away in 2021. If anyone knows anything about him it would mean a huge amount to me. He also had spells at Crewe and went on to play football for the RAF around the world during National Service. Thank you.

If youre local try the central library... 

Hello Edd, there was a winger B.Smith who played for City Reserves in London Combination for 4 seasons 1956/57 - 59/60 and also appeared in Western League 1960/61.  Source: club records.

Newspaper archives of the old football titles might have some match details.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Hi, I knew your Dad for a brief spell as we served at RAF Valley together and playing for the Station team. As I remember he had ginger hair and was a slim chap . He once gave me a lift in his car from Bristol Back to Valley. I remember a good friend of his was Terry Emery who also played for City before joining the Bristol Police but I’m afraid I don’t know his present situation or whereabouts, if he is still with us, and I hope he is I’m sure he could help you with more info about your Dad. Just a little snippet but I hope helps.

Great insight this. Amazing how this site can help people at times.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Hi, The only Smith listed as making First Team appearances in the late 50's /early 60's is a D. R. Smith and an H. A. Smith - one appearance in 61/62 season

The DR Smith was David Smith a left winger and Gloucestershire County Cricket fast bowler.

I started watching City in 1950 but do not recall any Bernard Smith I the first team squad. In those days City had a first team in Division Two, a Reserve team in the Football Combination and a team in the Western League. I think the latter was for young players who were possibly not professional

Hope you find something about your Father.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RedinSpain said:

I can help a bit. The reserves game he played in was from the Bristol Evening Post 23 April 1957 - see attached.

Another from the BEP 13.8.60 as well.

There are some further mentions in the press which you might not have? DM me and I will be happy to dig them out for you :)

bristol evening post 23.4.57.jpg

bernard smith BEP 13.8.60.jpg

Very good attendance for reserves football, back then. There’s a local team who, these days don’t get that many more for their home league games. 

25 minutes ago, RedinSpain said:

I can help a bit. The reserves game he played in was from the Bristol Evening Post 23 April 1957 - see attached.

Another from the BEP 13.8.60 as well.

There are some further mentions in the press which you might not have? DM me and I will be happy to dig them out for you :)

bristol evening post 23.4.57.jpg

bernard smith BEP 13.8.60.jpg

Out of interest, how have you sourced these clippings?

Do you have access to the british newspaper archive website or similar?

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

2 hours ago, RedinSpain said:

As I downloaded the page re Edd's dad here it is (on google drive as a pdf)

Amazing coverage

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15xRDc9nVvsyvyS8uRBgCg5j8SIWXuclw/view?usp=sharing

What is even more amazing is that I was at the West Ham v City game on Easter Monday.

Dad and I were at the home game on Good Friday v.West Ham. A 1-1 draw.

On the next day, Dad and Mum plus my younger sister and I went by train to Leicester where my father's deceased first wife originated from. He still kept in touch with her brother and family. They were honorary uncle and aunt and were two lovely people.

At the match all three males went to the top tier of the double decker behind the goal. Another draw and again Dermot Curtis scored our goal. He got 8 in the last six games of that season. Leicester City were promoted.

On the Easter Monday two days later, I squeezed the train fare to Paddington from Dad and went to Upton Park by train and tube. A miserable crowd of 9,000 and we lost 1-3

That season ended two games later after a Curtis hat trick sent Swansea TOWN home empty handed. The last match was at Anfield, yes Liverpool in Second division, with a massive crowd of 15,108 and a 1-2 defeat.

What an Easter weekend!

Plus I had coaching from Josser Watling of Rovers and Alec Eisentrager who are also featured on this page.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 13
  • Robin 2