IGNORED

What's better? An extra day of recovery or a shorter journey?

LondonBristolian

Sunderland play away at QPR tonight whereas we host Wigan tomorrow.

That gives Sunderland an extra day of recovery BUT they will have had to travel to London and back whereas we'll only have had the trip up to Sunderland.

Which of these gives the biggest edge? Or does it not really matter in the grand scheme of things? 

As we play a day later then have to travel to Sunderland I’d suggest the advantage is their’s.

However we have seen plenty of times in the past teams brush this sort of thing off.

Will be tough on Saturday, a point to (hopefully) keep our unbeaten run going would be a good return.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As we play a day later then have to travel to Sunderland I’d suggest the advantage is their’s.

However we have seen plenty of times in the past teams brush this sort of thing off.

Will be tough on Saturday, a point to (hopefully) keep our unbeaten run going would be a good return.

Careful, we haven't played Wigan yet!

• Like 3

Injuries aside, if a football player can't recover from a game within 48 hours he ain't much of an athlete. A modern game may last nearer to 100 minutes than 90 but it rarely requires a player to make intense effort over that time. They train ofcourse but no more intently than participants in other sports who must look at footballers and what they earn with dismay. 

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Injuries aside, if a football player can't recover from a game within 48 hours he ain't much of an athlete. A modern game may last nearer to 100 minutes than 90 but it rarely requires a player to make intense effort over that time. They train ofcourse but no more intently than participants in other sports who must look at footballers and what they earn with dismay. 

I suspect some in here with a much better appreciation of Sports Science than me will give you chapter and verse on this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How do you know that (the 48-hour assertion)?  

20 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

How do you know that (the 48-hour assertion)?  

I don't pretend that it's scientific but as an example a tennis professional plays every other day in most tournaments and his time on court can be significantly longer than a football match. Yes he gets small breaks between games but the play is frequently more intense and explosive than that required by a footballer.