IGNORED

Good point

Bs4Red

Wigan did a job on us tonight. They were excellent closing City down and they stifled creative play from our midfielders.

They were a little fortunate with the equaliser with some piss poor defending but deserved a point in my view.

Disappointing to drop two point but the unbeaten run now stretched to 10 - on to Sunderland on Saturday.

• Like 9

Sorry but it feels like 2 points dropped given our recent performances. From Pearson changing the front 3 to how we actually played, I feel we underestimated Wigan and got our just desserts for doing so. Points have to be earnt in this division and tonight we didn’t do enough to deserve all 3 points. Frustrating in the circumstances and suggests that we are still not quite as good as some of us might have thought or hoped.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I doubt we underestimated them at all.  They were well organised and caused us lots of probs, they have some decent players.  Their half-time changes were interesting because I expected Keane to play high up top with Fletcher and bombard us with long balls.  But he played a withdrawn role, and that suffocated James and Williams a bit.  Lang is a very tidy player and swapping Nyambe to RB for Darikwa meant they had boundless energy to attack Pring.  Mehmeti didn’t always get his positioning correct when they had the ball.

I thought Tiehi was excellent in CM for them, seemed to be everywhere.  That’s a helluva pick up on loan.

We withstood a lot of excellent set-play delivery, and I’ve not seen any highlights yet so can’t comment on the goal.

I thought we got down the sides well at times, but delivery wasn’t up to scratch.

Cornick I thought had a solid debut.

Mehmeti very bright on the ball.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

After a good win v Norwich, last night would’ve been one of those games we would have lost ! We didn’t though and in fact we looked stronger after their goal rather than wilting. 

I’ll take 4 points from 2 home games. Not perfect but progress. 

That's what we said, if we had taken the expect point from Norwich and beaten Wigan it still would have been 4 points. Wigan deserved a point, the battled hard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Tiehi was excellent in CM for them, seemed to be everywhere.  That’s a helluva pick up on loan.

No.22 was excellent, I agree.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-boss-relaxed-on-christ-tiehi-signing-situation-3979803

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Tiéhi

Interesting career path so far, with stints in France, English non-league and Czech Republic. Seems Toure was the pulling factor with the Wigan move. Above article indicates a £800k permanent deal if Wigan survive the drop, based on what I saw, that looks a good fee to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Claverham_Red said:

No.22 was excellent, I agree.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-boss-relaxed-on-christ-tiehi-signing-situation-3979803

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Tiéhi

Interesting career path so far, with stints in France, English non-league and Czech Republic. Seems Toure was the pulling factor with the Wigan move. Above article indicates a £800k permanent deal if Wigan survive the drop, based on what I saw, that looks a good fee to me.

He's exactly what our midfield needs imo. Whether Taylor-Clarke can do that job as well remains to be seen. 

I thought we were okay. Probably a shade unlucky not to have won. 

Wasn't overly impressed by Cornick, he tried to be too technical at times, rather than do the simple thing. Think Mehmeti got better as the game went on. Think Sam Bell was poor when he came on. 

Would like to see Weimann, Mehmeti and Wells start Saturday. 

Thought Vyner was brilliant at the back, thought Scott and Williams ran their hearts out.

I still feel Max is very vulnerable at set pieces, he doesn't inspire me with confidence with his clearances, especially his punches.

Wigan set up shop very well, but when we scored, we should have really gone for them, and we never, we invited them back into the game and paid for it. It was a fair performance and we got what we deserved.

Just now, robinforlife2 said:

I thought we were okay. Probably a shade unlucky not to have won. 

Wasn't overly impressed by Cornick, he tried to be too technical at times, rather than do the simple thing. Think Mehmeti got better as the game went on. Think Sam Bell was poor when he came on. 

Would like to see Weimann, Mehmeti and Wells start Saturday. 

Thought Vyner was brilliant at the back, thought Scott and Williams ran their hearts out.

I still feel Max is very vulnerable at set pieces, he doesn't inspire me with confidence with his clearances, especially his punches.

Wigan set up shop very well, but when we scored, we should have really gone for them, and we never, we invited them back into the game and paid for it. It was a fair performance and we got what we deserved.

You leave Sykes out for a second game despite his form? 

• Like 1

Just now, Engvall’s Splinter said:

You leave Sykes out for a second game despite his form? 

Yes, as for me Sykes is not a physically strong player, he is very good but he is also easily out muscled and I think he plays better against attacking teams where he will get more freedom and less hassle, I think Mehmeti will be trickier for Sunderland to deal with, whilst they will just go in tough on Sykes. I think he could come on for Andi or Mehmeti with 25 to play, and offer a fresh problem. 

6 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Yes, as for me Sykes is not a physically strong player, he is very good but he is also easily out muscled and I think he plays better against attacking teams where he will get more freedom and less hassle, I think Mehmeti will be trickier for Sunderland to deal with, whilst they will just go in tough on Sykes. I think he could come on for Andi or Mehmeti with 25 to play, and offer a fresh problem. 

I'd prefer Sykes to play after his 5 goals in 6 games that play Weimann with his 5 crosses out of play.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Kept the run going, poor performance but another point on the board. Probably the happier of the 2 sides I would say. 

Cornick is not a No.9 and we missed Wells. 

No pivot in CM or anyone breaking the lines, can only presume Scott was brought off due to bookings. 

If you'd offered me 4 points from Wigan and Norwich but results the other way round I'd have certainly took it

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Wigan did a job on us tonight. They were excellent closing City down and they stifled creative play from our midfielders.

They were a little fortunate with the equaliser with some piss poor defending but deserved a point in my view.

Disappointing to drop two point but the unbeaten run now stretched to 10 - on to Sunderland on Saturday.

I thought we hit far too many long balls. They were not particularly slow at the back and in the second half we just kept giving the ball away by hitting it long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I thought we hit far too many long balls. They were not particularly slow at the back and in the second half we just kept giving the ball away by hitting it long.

Wigan forced us into playing long balls. They cut off many available passes when City were in possession. If they can perform each game as they did last night they’ll be fine. I thought they were pretty good.

6 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

We did hit too many long balls. This was because we were unable to play through them and lost possession in the tackle 70% of the time. Thus we kept playing the ball sideways and backwards for James or Vyner to go long. Credit to Wigan.

However That is why we bought the boy from Wycombe to actually unlock these sorts of teams and to be fair to him he supplied the cross for our goal and if I’m not mistaken hit the post. 

7 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I think you have to reward form. Sykes has been doing well and Weimann struggled last night. For me, Sykes keeps the shirt until he doesn’t do enough to play or Weimann does too much to be on the bench.

To my mind, Wells and Sykes have to start Saturday with the major question being whether Mehmeti did enough to displace Bell.

• Like 1