IGNORED

Nick Pope quick reponse

1960maaan

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Who will be in goal for Newcastle as Dubrovnik is cup tied he played in earlier rounds for............. Man utd!

Rather random fact is Dubrovnik will get a cup winners medal...if Man Utd win. Not sure he will want to show it off straight away in the dressing room.

On 18/02/2023 at 22:39, cityexile said:

Rather random fact is Dubrovnik will get a cup winners medal...if Man Utd win. Not sure he will want to show it off straight away in the dressing room.

That is just ridiculous. Also it's about time that rule was lifted, Pope should miss the next PL game not the Cup Final.

• Like 8

As pointed out on the night a Newcastle player (Linton?) was on 9 bookings and if he'd have picked up a card he would have received a 2 match ban for the PL but would have still been eligible for the cup final. It makes no sense. Better by far that suspensions are served in the competition that the cards were given. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

It’s an unfortunate one, a lot of Newcastle fans seem to value the final higher than their top 4 hopes and for Pope to commit that kind of offence when they were already 2-0 down, he’s most likely instinctively done so and will be absolutely kicking himself.

The suspension being served in a different competition is crazy.

Not just for Pope but also in circumstances where a top teams player gets sent off in a league game, it should be served in the league. A suspension served for an early round cup game wouldn’t have the same effect as a suspension for a league game, it almost permits a red card.

Edited by Fammyfan

14 hours ago, Fammyfan said:

It’s an unfortunate one, a lot of Newcastle fans seem to value the final higher than their top 4 hopes and for Pope to commit that kind of offence when they were already 2-0 down, he’s most likely instinctively done so and will be absolutely kicking himself.

Not just for Pope but also in circumstances where a top teams player gets sent off in a league game, it should be served in the league. A suspension served for an early round cup game wouldn’t have the same effect as a suspension for a league game, it almost permits a red card.

Having it in the same competition means some bans will potentially never be served, that could also "permit" a red card. It's swings and roundabouts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Having it in the same competition means some bans will potentially never be served, that could also "permit" a red card. It's swings and roundabouts

I think red cards should be served in-competition too.  I might be wrong, but have a feeling they used to carry over season to season, e.g. if you got a red v Man City, the ban would carry into next season.  That was before the recent changes.  Seem to recall a player signing for a new club had his ban from the previous season carried forward.

I don’t agree with wiping yellows after a certain point either.  Tough shit (no not Bolton’s new stadium) if you miss out on the final because you’ve got a second yellow in the semi.  Play within the laws of the game in the first place.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Ian Leigh. There’s a blast from the past!!!

One appearance for us effectively ended his career!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Leigh

Thirty nine years ago. He'd definitely be in the frame for the worst keeper since 1945. Bournemouth were getting one over us even then!

Brian Mitchell at right back and Bas Savage, the trickiest striker that I've ever seen for City, up front among the rest.

15 hours ago, Fammyfan said:

I think most fans would rather win something than finish 4th.

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Going back to our car journey to the Man City Semi Final. 
I was asked what I'd prefer, Win the League Cup or Promotion. I will always say win the Cup (until we have done it).
Win a Cup and you've always Won a major Tournament , get promoted and its possible within a couple of years you could be in League One with memories and little else to show for it. 

That , I guess,  can change if you have won things previously. Different perspectives then.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thirty nine years ago. He'd definitely be in the frame for the worst keeper since 1945. Bournemouth were getting one over us even then!

Brian Mitchell at right back and Bas Savage, the trickiest striker that I've ever seen for City, up front among the rest.

They were “little Bournemouth” in those days. I’m not sure I want to go down this road of horrors but don’t forget Gus Caesar! Gary Stanley…! Blimey if we think long enough the list is never ending!! 

15 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Understand that point too, it’s a shame they can’t have it so that the primary suspension is the same competition but in the circumstance there’s not a same competition game available, it’s served in another domestic competition/league

14 hours ago, Super said:

Most football fans would rather win a cup and rightly so but Newcastle have the backing to use the platform of a 4th place finish to push to be amongst the best for years to come, Champions League football will help them attract world class players and significantly increase revenue putting them in a much stronger position in terms of FFP.

50 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

Understand that point too, it’s a shame they can’t have it so that the primary suspension is the same competition but in the circumstance there’s not a same competition game available, it’s served in another domestic competition/league

That would work.  If you get knocked out, serve it in the next competitive game(s).

• Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 09:05, Davefevs said:

I think red cards should be served in-competition too.  I might be wrong, but have a feeling they used to carry over season to season, e.g. if you got a red v Man City, the ban would carry into next season.  That was before the recent changes.  Seem to recall a player signing for a new club had his ban from the previous season carried forward.

I don’t agree with wiping yellows after a certain point either.  Tough shit (no not Bolton’s new stadium) if you miss out on the final because you’ve got a second yellow in the semi.  Play within the laws of the game in the first place.

Don't understand your reasoning here Dave. Surely if a player gets a red card against Man City - there wont be a problem because he can serve the suspension in the next round(s) after we beat them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2023 at 09:43, 1960maaan said:

Going back to our car journey to the Man City Semi Final. 
I was asked what I'd prefer, Win the League Cup or Promotion. I will always say win the Cup (until we have done it).
Win a Cup and you've always Won a major Tournament , get promoted and its possible within a couple of years you could be in League One with memories and little else to show for it. 

That , I guess,  can change if you have won things previously. Different perspectives then.

The flip side to this is of course if we were promoted we would be having a 'cup final' every week. All the teams up there are either bigger than us or more experienced, probably both for the majority. 

So a one off game and a trophy or a whole season of firsts?

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

The flip side to this is of course if we were promoted we would be having a 'cup final' every week. All the teams up there are either bigger than us or more experienced, probably both for the majority. 

So a one off game and a trophy or a whole season of firsts?

While you can look at it that way, the following year all you have to show for it ( the majority of the time) is parachute payments.  Yeah conversations about trips for League games are nice, but to look back at a major trophy win would be a different thing all together, and you have always won that trophy. Promotion would be great, but it would be just another League.