IGNORED

Ban overhead kicks.

42nite

As someone who’s been kicked in the head in a game and lucky to still be here, I don’t think it’s necessary to ban overhead kicks. There’s always a risk in sport - it seems there’s even a risk in heading the ball - overhead kicks are very rare, we don’t try and stop tackling every time someone breaks a leg.

• Like 8

Just seen the incident on MOTD. Genuine attempt to go for the ball and just unfortunate. Legislating to ban overhead kicks is both unworkable and unnecessary - how do you class it, is it based on the player fully having his back to the ball? Because that wasn’t the case here and then you’re banning side on efforts. Booking was made for high boot which was the right decision in this case, nothing else needed.

Any reckless overhead kick already counts as dangerous play and a ref can issue a yellow or red card if they feel a need to. I don’t think an outright ban is helpful or needed - I think it is a case of refs using their judgement.

I also think it is impossible to take the risk of serious injury out of football. The worst injury I ever saw in a football ground was when I was with a friend who had a spare Chelsea season ticket that day and saw Ryan Mason get the head injury that ended his career. It was utterly horrible but nobody was to blame and there was no law that could realistically have been introduced to prevent it. 

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Ban heading , tackling and any form of physical contact. Psychotherapists should be in the dug out to help the players cope.

Life is a risk. I am a bit sick of the ‘ cotton wool’ brigade. 
I wish the player a swift recovery. 

Hear hear Major.

Ban football it's just too dangerous 

3 hours ago, 42nite said:

They're dangerous.  

Best wishes to Cesar Azpilicueta.  In hospital now as a result of bravely trying to defend against one.

Yep.......and tackling, heading and goalies coming up for corners........and while we are at, why not just ban corners altogether, as players are in danger of banging & clashing their heads? ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Ban heading , tackling and any form of physical contact. Psychotherapists should be in the dug out to help the players cope.

Life is a risk. I am a bit sick of the ‘ cotton wool’ brigade. 
I wish the player a swift recovery. 

Aw bless, being a member of the cotton wool brigade it was not my intention to make you feel a bit sick Major.  I hope you feel better soon.

Best put me on ignore, I dislike this feeling of guilt, and would hate to cause you further discomfort.

Take care.

Edited by 42nite

18 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Aw bless, being a member of the cotton wool brigade it was not my intention to make you feel a bit sick Major.  I hope you feel better soon.

Best put me on ignore, I dislike this feeling of guilt, and would hate to cause you further discomfort.

Take care.

It wasn’t a personal attack 42, just a general reaction to those who want to take out all the risks in life and suffocate growth with their over reactions. 
I worry for the kids of today who aren’t allowed out alone, ferried from pillar to post and spend their time cocooned in front of video games with Mummy and Daddy in the next room. Real life involves facing danger and overcoming it, not everybody is going to be friendly and helpful or indeed violent and psychopathic. Our society has become too soft. 
More specifically, sport , there are measured risks . Take them all out and what are you left with ? 
Just my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1