IGNORED

Ball Players = Excitement

Port Said Red

It's often been said of City teams in recent times that there has been a lack of excitement in the way the team set up, and the kind of players we have had within that set up. It's been part of the reason that we are better playing on the break away from home and struggle to breakdown sides when we are pushed into a more possession based game. 

The change in the team in the last few months has been subtle, until the arrival of Mehmeti which has made it clear where we are heading.

I don't think I have seen a City side with so much potential flair from so many sources, so many different players that are capable of beating players for pace and skill. 

And yet, they aren't the fabled "luxury" player that could be so frustrating when they fail in their latest attempt to beat a man, no these guys work, they lose a ball, they go and get it back or they get back into position to wait for the next opportunity.

There also seems to be an "anything you can do" aspect of healthy competition between those players too, where a trick from one player will illicit one from another.

I am loving it personally, and hoping that we can see more of it in the coming months.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's often been said of City teams in recent times that there has been a lack of excitement in the way the team set up, and the kind of players we have had within that set up. It's been part of the reason that we are better playing on the break away from home and struggle to breakdown sides when we are pushed into a more possession based game. 

The change in the team in the last few months has been subtle, until the arrival of Mehmeti which has made it clear where we are heading.

I don't think I have seen a City side with so much potential flair from so many sources, so many different players that are capable of beating players for pace and skill. 

And yet, they aren't the fabled "luxury" player that could be so frustrating when they fail in their latest attempt to beat a man, no these guys work, they lose a ball, they go and get it back or they get back into position to wait for the next opportunity.

There also seems to be an "anything you can do" aspect of healthy competition between those players too, where a trick from one player will illicit one from another.

I am loving it personally, and hoping that we can see more of it in the coming months.

I thought this yesterday while watching. Scott, Mehmeti are the two leading the way, but suddenly everyone looks ultra comfortable on the ball going forwards. You can really see what we’re trying to do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

This is where the the Managers ideas of "HIS" team, the scouting department , the stats guys and the ones that do the due diligence all have to work together. 
Eliasson was a fav among some, didn't track back didn't defend. Which means someone has to do his work for him. This is a luxury player. With Mehmeti (and Cornick I think) , they  have spotted a player that fits in with how Nige wants us to play, but has that extra little bit he was searching for. Everything now , when it comes to recruitment, seems joined up and working. Under Ashton/Johnson just got players and played them, there seemed no plan. Looking at the players signed under Nige, the ones for the longer term all fit the profile. You have to be a hard worker and a team player, that he also has an eye for a ball player is a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mehmeti again yesterday left me scratching my head at how he stayed at Wycombe for so long without getting a bigger move! What a player we have there. And we got him cheap....?

He'll need to work on the defensive side of the game a little, but he reminds me of Mark Gavin going forward. Gonna be an "edge of the seat" player for sure.

• Like 1

Really like the look of Mehmeti and we all know how good Scott is. These players are very good for fan excitement and you walk away from the game talking about something they did, a drag back, three oppo players sent for a hot dog, nutmeg, 60 yard run or whatever. In other words they are doing the things all of us ex-aspiring pro footballers couldn't get close to doing.

However the unsung hero for me in terms of going forward, albeit not the maverick type, is Sykes - we are looking a much better side since he's found his feet and we missed him big time the other week when he was rested on the bench.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

This is where the the Managers ideas of "HIS" team, the scouting department , the stats guys and the ones that do the due diligence all have to work together. 
Eliasson was a fav among some, didn't track back didn't defend. Which means someone has to do his work for him. This is a luxury player. With Mehmeti (and Cornick I think) , they  have spotted a player that fits in with how Nige wants us to play, but has that extra little bit he was searching for. Everything now , when it comes to recruitment, seems joined up and working. Under Ashton/Johnson just got players and played them, there seemed no plan. Looking at the players signed under Nige, the ones for the longer term all fit the profile. You have to be a hard worker and a team player, that he also has an eye for a ball player is a bonus.

Spot on.  Eliasson is a good comparison.

I was impressed with Mehmeti’s other stuff, as much as his dribbling yesterday.  Tracking back, shape, physicality.  And he didn’t over-dribble yesterday.  Learning quickly.  Eliasson used to look lost when out of possession.

• Like 1