IGNORED

Could We Realistically Have Come Out Any Better?

Silvio Dante

Bar winning I think scoring would have been nice and deserved, from a personal point of view I bet on Man City to win with a minus 2 goal start which I was happy to lose by the way so as far as Im concerned we only lost 1-0.

Edited by weepywall
  • Like 1

Literally just finished watching the whole programme back after attending last night.

Agree with everything you say and think we looked better on the TV (sit in SS) as sometimes looks worse defensively at the Atyeo end due to distance and eyesight..

We have definitely enhanced ourselves more than I thought - full stadium looked great with all that red and white as well

Commentators said it was rocking

As someone who for reasons that are far too boring to go into ended up watching it on TV last night, the only thing that could have gone better for me was if Marriner had been a bit less one eyes & awarded the penalty for the clear push on Sykes.

Even if we’d scored it then it would only have been 1-1 at the time, but it would have been a lift psychologically both for the players & the crowd.

As for Scott, if anyone was harbouring any delusion that he’d be here next season, this game ended that.

Planning how to replace him is the next step & Tinnion’s comment about needed 4 players if one is sold suggests we already know this.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 9

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Other than winning, obviously.

Having been at the game last night and now rewatched the ITV coverage, it strikes me that we’ve come out of that fixture massively enhanced on several fronts.

- From a media perspective, people like Roy Keane don’t pay lip service. If he was impressed, it was because he was impressed. In the written media, Henry Winter continued his love in with us, and although Ben Fisher is a touch biased towards us, he also did a great piece. The universal media perspective wasn’t that we were plucky underdogs - it was that we gave them a game and could have got more with a bit more luck

- I don’t want to be the guy who says “isn’t it great that Man City think we’re great”. But what has massively come through from the Man City team is the amount of respect - in 2018, KDB was quite dismissive. Not now. Pep is waxing lyrical about us, Foden immediately said it wasn’t a fair result and if you see the Grealish/Mahrez etc photos in the tunnel area (and Grealishs tweet re Scott) it’s us being shown massive respect by the premier league champions. Imagine as a young player the confidence that gives you - this wasn’t a reserve side, this was a team that can take most of the prem apart, and we went with them. Game respect game, as they say (And I would imagine Pep may have us on his loan list based on how we play)

- Scott. Scott, Scott bloody Scott. We were already probably resigned to likely losing him, but losing him to a top six side (as will happen) for a £30m + fee (as will happen) softens the blow. He could have been marked out and had questions asked. Instead, he bettered Man City’s midfield for large periods.

- The atmosphere. That will have hooked in several part timers/never attendees. City need to capitalise. Get tickets out for Blackpool at reduced rates. Pack the ground. 

A reasonably likely scenario last night, considering the opposition, was a pasting, not laying a glove on them, a relatively despondent crowd and our best players losing confidence. We got the opposite. This forum is buoyant. The atmosphere is buoyant.

Barring the miracle, could it actually have gone any better?

I loves this club mind?

• Robin 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As someone who for reasons that are far too boring to go into ended up watching it on TV last night, the only thing that could have gone better for me was if Marriner had been a bit less one eyes & awarded the penalty for the clear push on Sykes.

Even if we’d scored it then it would only have been 1-1 at the time, but it would have been a lift psychologically both for the players & the crowd.

As for Scott, if anyone was harbouring any delusion that he’d be here next season, this game ended that.

Planning how to replace him is the next step & Tinnion’s comment about needed 4 players if one is sold suggests we already know this.

Hope all ok mate, shit one to have to miss whatever the circumstances.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Other than winning, obviously.

Having been at the game last night and now rewatched the ITV coverage, it strikes me that we’ve come out of that fixture massively enhanced on several fronts.

- From a media perspective, people like Roy Keane don’t pay lip service. If he was impressed, it was because he was impressed. In the written media, Henry Winter continued his love in with us, and although Ben Fisher is a touch biased towards us, he also did a great piece. The universal media perspective wasn’t that we were plucky underdogs - it was that we gave them a game and could have got more with a bit more luck

- I don’t want to be the guy who says “isn’t it great that Man City think we’re great”. But what has massively come through from the Man City team is the amount of respect - in 2018, KDB was quite dismissive. Not now. Pep is waxing lyrical about us, Foden immediately said it wasn’t a fair result and if you see the Grealish/Mahrez etc photos in the tunnel area (and Grealishs tweet re Scott) it’s us being shown massive respect by the premier league champions. Imagine as a young player the confidence that gives you - this wasn’t a reserve side, this was a team that can take most of the prem apart, and we went with them. Game respect game, as they say (And I would imagine Pep may have us on his loan list based on how we play)

- Scott. Scott, Scott bloody Scott. We were already probably resigned to likely losing him, but losing him to a top six side (as will happen) for a £30m + fee (as will happen) softens the blow. He could have been marked out and had questions asked. Instead, he bettered Man City’s midfield for large periods.

- The atmosphere. That will have hooked in several part timers/never attendees. City need to capitalise. Get tickets out for Blackpool at reduced rates. Pack the ground. 

A reasonably likely scenario last night, considering the opposition, was a pasting, not laying a glove on them, a relatively despondent crowd and our best players losing confidence. We got the opposite. This forum is buoyant. The atmosphere is buoyant.

Barring the miracle, could it actually have gone any better?

What news on Ben Acey? 

Probably mentioned elsewhere but also thought the scarves on seat thing was a great touch. It would’ve been great had we had any floating fans in, in terms of free gift to encourage back, but given all the tickets were snapped up by season ticket holders or members it effectively rewarded the core support. Plus it made AG looked really red and impressive.

• Like 3

Watched it earlier, though did fast forward past the goals.

Perfect World maybe we score the Pen, Bell passes the chance he hit into the defender and we go 2-1.

Of course with nearly £400 Bazzillion sat on the bench , they could get into third gear and sneak it anyway.

All I wanted was to put on a good show, we did. The one in a thousand game we win, will have to wait.

• Like 2

If our strike force were not halfed by circumstances (players injured or cup-tied), maybe we could have had more/better chances to score. Apart from this lack of options...I guess the team did a great job and asking for more would have been unfair/unrealistic.

Atmosphere was good too, and reading all the compliments by opponents, pundits/journalists and neutral fans is really nice and the team deserves it.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And Grealish didn't have to do that, so a really nice touch for him to do so.

He gets lots of stick but he’s done a lot behind the scenes. I think his sister has cerebral palsy & there’s a couple of great videos of him helping out fans with disabilities . He did a goal celebration for one of them . He’s a good lad 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He gets lots of stick but he’s done a lot behind the scenes. I think his sister has cerebral palsy & there’s a couple of great videos of him helping out fans with disabilities . He did a goal celebration for one of them . He’s a good lad 

He is now. He`s grown up over the last few years and I like him a lot now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He is now. He`s grown up over the last few years and I like him a lot now.

I still can’t get my head around how such an ex-bellend now has such a nice way about him.

I guess it really is as simple as growing up.  Well done Jack.  I like him too.

• Like 8

I suppose one of your biggest fears as a Man City player is that you spend all night getting kicked, trodden on, hacked etc.

They were better than us, but it was a very honest game. Other than the bit of handbags at the end not a bad foul all night, they played their game, we played ours and they won. Although words are easy when you have won,I think that would help at least give it a semblance of being genuine on their part.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still can’t get my head around how such an ex-bellend now has such a nice way about him.

Imagine being so young, a bit thick, good looking and a health bank account at the age of 17. Most of us would be bell ends. As you say he has grown up into a good bloke.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair play to him, he’s won over a lot of people with what he does behind the scenes

• Like 3

Well came away from the game very happy, not with the result, but with the way we played against one of the best teams (possibly) in the world. They didn’t put out a vastly weakened team, showing us respect, which was added to by the post match comments. Well done BCFC, you did us all proud, and so did the fans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Probably mentioned elsewhere but also thought the scarves on seat thing was a great touch. It would’ve been great had we had any floating fans in, in terms of free gift to encourage back, but given all the tickets were snapped up by season ticket holders or members it effectively rewarded the core support. Plus it made AG looked really red and impressive.

Would have been nice to have the scarves.....all three of my seats had them stolen before we arrived. 

Really started my kids night off really well.

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 1