IGNORED

Could We Realistically Have Come Out Any Better?

Silvio Dante

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

As someone who for reasons that are far too boring to go into ended up watching it on TV last night, the only thing that could have gone better for me was if Marriner had been a bit less one eyes & awarded the penalty for the clear push on Sykes.

Even if we’d scored it then it would only have been 1-1 at the time, but it would have been a lift psychologically both for the players & the crowd.

As for Scott, if anyone was harbouring any delusion that he’d be here next season, this game ended that.

Planning how to replace him is the next step & Tinnion’s comment about needed 4 players if one is sold suggests we already know this.

I was actually thinking about this after the game without knowing Tinnion had spoken about it.

Two midfielders and two centre-halves? Assuming we’re happy with what we’ve got in goal.

54 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I was actually thinking about this after the game without knowing Tinnion had spoken about it.

Two midfielders and two centre-halves? Assuming we’re happy with what we’ve got in goal.

Think it has to involve a replacement for Jay, Cam Pring has done excellently but we don’t have another LB & there has to be a reason we went for the Wimbledon lad in January.

Should Kalas sign a new contract we wouldn’t need 2 CBs with Naismith, Vyner & him.

9 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Would have been nice to have the scarves.....all three of my seats had them stolen before we arrived. 

Really started my kids night off really well.

That’s annoying, who would do that to their own fans? I must say there didn’t seem to be any problems around where I sit, I guess there’s always a rogue somewhere in a crowd that size.

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

As someone who for reasons that are far too boring to go into ended up watching it on TV last night, the only thing that could have gone better for me was if Marriner had been a bit less one eyes & awarded the penalty for the clear push on Sykes.

Even if we’d scored it then it would only have been 1-1 at the time, but it would have been a lift psychologically both for the players & the crowd.

As for Scott, if anyone was harbouring any delusion that he’d be here next season, this game ended that.

Planning how to replace him is the next step & Tinnion’s comment about needed 4 players if one is sold suggests we already know this.

Agree with all that Graham. Watched in Australia as the sun was rising. Felt a very long way away! Looked and sounded great though. Good enough to book a seat for the remainder of the matches I can get to this season. Promising signs. 

• Robin 2

I think the only way it could have gone better is if we hadn't drawn Man C, and had a more winnable tie. The draw has opened up massively with it nailed on at least one non-Prem team will make the semis at Wembley. 

Even an FA Cup QF would've been amazing and I'm a touch jealous of Grimsby fans this morning. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

They said on ITV that Andi's son had told him to make sure he got Grealish's shirt.

Yeah I saw on Andi’s Instagram a picture of his son with a signed shirt. I hope Alex got one too, or maybe he’ll wait until they’re England teammates 

24 minutes ago, Super said:

I have to admit i can see why that pen wasn't given correct decision for me barely any contact certainly not enough for Sykes to go over.

The defender puts his hand on Sykes shoulder and he fell to the ground. It was never a penalty. I agree with Roy Keane he was looking for a pen instead of trying to get a shot on target and score 

• Flames 1

Unfortunately not. Ironically when we played them in the Cup Semi Final I felt we had more of a chance even over two legs as I believed their weak point was the central defenders. Fast forward 5 years they have continuously recruited and improved with money no object to such an extent that I really can't see a weak point other than the keeper.

Although it's almost a privilege to be playing against such a wonderful team that includes KDB, Foden & Grealish I can't help feeling that they represent all that is wrong with football with £150M + worth of talent sat on the bench. It's Monopoly money to them of course but in these days of recession, fuel bills and job losses elite football seems totally divorced from reality and the real world and with it in a small part my love for the beautiful game.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the only way it could have gone better is if we hadn't drawn Man C,

May not have been the same reaction on here had we then got beat by Burnley or Fleetwood who ran them close with 10 men, Blackburn or Grimsby, whilst I agree we had the least winnable game and would have more fancied our chances against the other prem teams at home, at least we have gone out in style.

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the only way it could have gone better is if we hadn't drawn Man C, and had a more winnable tie. The draw has opened up massively with it nailed on at least one non-Prem team will make the semis at Wembley. 

Even an FA Cup QF would've been amazing and I'm a touch jealous of Grimsby fans this morning. 

Yea I'm a little frustrated seeing the draw. The City game was all well and exciting but much like the Carabao this year it's very open. A nicer draw and who knows... But I'm not moaning, our last 13 games have been excellent so I'm a happy fan right now. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That happens on Foden at the other end and it's likely a pen imo.

It’s one of those for sure, if you get it you admit it’s soft but the defenders been clumsy and given the ref a decision to make, If it goes against you, your probably calling it as a dive 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super said:

I have to admit i can see why that pen wasn't given correct decision for me barely any contact certainly not enough for Sykes to go over.

Don't disagree with you tbh Super but as KitR says, based on how Marriner reffed the rest of the game it would have definitely been a penalty to Man City

Having not given that penalty he was very very quick to give similar fouls to Man City in the middle of park and the threshold for a penalty is no different to a free kick

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don't disagree with you tbh Super but as KitR says, based on how Marriner reffed the rest of the game it would have definitely been a penalty to Man City

Having not given that penalty he was very very quick to give similar fouls to Man City in the middle of park and the threshold for a penalty is no different to a free kick

I do agree with that.

6 hours ago, Swede said:

...... I can't help feeling that they represent all that is wrong with football with £150M + worth of talent sat on the bench. It's Monopoly money to them of course but in these days of recession, fuel bills and job losses elite football seems totally divorced from reality and the real world and with it in a small part my love for the beautiful game.

I see your point, but there are many, many clubs that feel the same level of disparity when they look enviously at our squad and facilities. 

I will take what we have got and be thankful for being born in the right part of Bristol - more so than ever after that performance

Edited by Mad Cyril

Hate to say it, but (at the moment) Grealish is okay for me.

Hopefully, he'll display his good attributes more often.

The club has benefited substantially from the national exposure and all-round positive comments from certain highly-regarded people.

This will certainly help us to secure some good signings in the near future.

Other than the display given by Mr Marriner (predictable but nevertheless disappointing), the evening was  - aside from the result of course - a big win for our beloved City. The players did us and them proud, the game was fluid and mostly good natured, and of course, the national exposure for certain players and the club as a whole is great.

Our players were a credit to themselves  - it really is quite staggering what they were up against in terms of value and talent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

The defender puts his hand on Sykes shoulder and he fell to the ground. It was never a penalty. I agree with Roy Keane he was looking for a pen instead of trying to get a shot on target and score 

I recorded the game and since Tuesday have watched the Sykes potential penalty incident several times. It looked to me that in addition to the defender making contact with his arm, he also slightly clipped Sykes leg causing him stumble.

Very strong claim for a penalty in my view. But we've had plenty of those turned down. 

• Like 1