IGNORED

Reasons To Be Cheerful

bcfc01

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Strangely we still struggle to breakdown sides that come to defend. You would think with the added pace of our players and the guile of Scott in particular, that we would have the tools to do that.

I think it shows that we need a Semenyo type to change things up, or maybe we have just missed a fully fit Conway.

We are missing Naismith and Conway. Two big players for us.

Naismith playing as a deep lying playmaker was beginning to excite me. He has the ability to unlock a defence with one pass/cross. 

You'd think Conway would have got at least 5 goals had he not of got injured so that's been a big loss for us.

On 12/03/2023 at 08:54, Lanterne Rouge said:

Totally agree but a lot of credit needs to go to Andi and Nahki too for their influence on the young ones.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that both Conway and Bell have done so well this season when partnered with Wells.

As others have already commented, it seems that for once we have a group of senior pros who, rather than seeing Bristol City as a cushy place in which to wind their careers down on a decent wage, are prepared to work hard, fight for places on merit and by their example are helping the club to develop as exciting a bunch of young players as we've had in years.

In the past we've had a few coaches appointed where it felt too much like "jobs for the boys" and for all the wrong reasons. Already you can easily see King making that change and it being exactly the right thing for him and us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I'm sure it's no coincidence that both Conway and Bell have done so well this season when partnered with Wells.

Sam Bell and Tommy Conway have scored 13 goals between them this season - only one of them came when Nahki Wells wasn't on the pitch.

Bearing in mind Wells has only started 26 out of a possible 43 matches across all competitions, that's not insignificant...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Almost every single game this season we should have had a penalty. 

We rarely get wrong decisions go in our favour either. 

So if things were just a little bit normal with decisions then we would be in and around the play offs, despite having a depleted squad.

The first sentence is hyperbole.

Second is just wrong - just one example is that Huddersfield could have easily had a penalty.

You're 3rd is narrow by only considering us, and also assumes that any extra penalties or decisions in our favour would have, collectively, gained us extra points sufficient to take us up to or near 6th. I've not checked, but I doubt every non-awarded penalty would have converted a loss to a draw or a draw to a win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course. But not every team went 400 odd days without getting a penalty. Even tho we've had two recently we are still down on the average. 

Almost every single game this season we should have had a penalty. 

We rarely get wrong decisions go in our favour either. 

So if things were just a little bit normal with decisions then we would be in and around the play offs, despite having a depleted squad.

To some extent but alao have been games where we have got more than we deserved. Games where we got less too but some of these more than merited away from home.

Balance of play etc, Middlesbrough dominated us at their place, we conceded a lot of shots and ball v Norwich at home- could easily have been a draw, Preston away we had to absorb 2nd half, likewise at Wigan- then again at Wigan Bennett was wrongly reprieved when a goal up and playing well. Rotherham away could argue 3-1 flattered us- we're a typical developing midtable side albeit yes penalties and decisions may have given us more forward momentum, a deeper squad would also help but finances etc.

I think looking at the pens we’ve not been given, red card not given, balanced up with any that might’ve been given against us, I reckon we could easily be 4-5 points better off.  Wigan (a), 1-0 up after 6 minutes, Bennett kicks out at Williams after 18 minutes was almost definitely a 2 point swing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think looking at the pens we’ve not been given, red card not given, balanced up with any that might’ve been given against us, I reckon we could easily be 4-5 points better off.  Wigan (a), 1-0 up after 6 minutes, Bennett kicks out at Williams after 18 minutes was almost definitely a 2 point swing.

Sheffield United for me was a real stinker. Absolutely battered them. Norwood should have saw red for a horror tackle on Williams, they then score a clearly offside goal and then Tanner sees red (deservedly) 

These things normally balance out but I really don't think they have for us this season. How many times have we scored goals that should have been offside? Or made fouls that should have been penalties? Or players not get sent off? I can think of very few occasions.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Sam Bell and Tommy Conway have scored 13 goals between them this season - only one of them came when Nahki Wells wasn't on the pitch.

Bearing in mind Wells has only started 26 out of a possible 43 matches across all competitions, that's not insignificant...

It’s all about partnerships.

For the last few years, this Club only looked at players as individuals. Primarily just to sell on at a profit. It’s been a painful watch and came to the logical end of having a totally dysfunctional outfit with crap/old/disruptive players that we couldn’t sell as nobody wanted them. 

Accidentally or by design, we are now looking at the dynamics of players as teams and partnerships. Glory be and not before time. 

• Like 1