IGNORED

Basso interview

Mr Popodopolous

It's good to see he is still active in the game in England. I'd forgotten he was at Wednesday, or maybe just didn't know. Understandable why a bit too nuanced a detail for this interview but I'd really be interested in his take in his departure. From the outside, the way he was omitted for his last season felt quite harsh and - nothing against Gerken - cutting our noses off to spite our face. But maybe there was more to it. Great keeper during his time in the team though.  

I feel privileged to have seen a true original like Adriano play for City. An example of his inspirational effect on the team was in the way in which he approached penalties - asking the Holy Spirit which way the ball was going to go and then seeming to fly horizontally metres above the ground across the goalmouth under the Spirit's influence and saving more than a few with this method! (including one from Darius Henderson)

You have to say that Gary J had a gift in taking on special characters like him, realising their vital importance for the ethos of the team

Edited by southvillekiddy

29 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The only keeper I’ve seen where it seemed he had a trampoline as a 6 yard box.

His agility was amazing. 

Absolutely this. I always thought that was his greatest strength.
You hear outfield players being described as having “quick feet”. For me, Basso showed that it’s something that’s just as important to keepers. 

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Basso was a totemic figure in the GJ era. I might be misremembering but it felt like his big fall out with GJ was the start of everything going to pieces.  

I think his penalty save from Henderson was the loudest celebration I've ever heard other than a goal.

You’re right.

He was also the complete opposite of everything that you come to expect as a City fan.

We sign our only Brazilian & then find out he’s a bloody goalkeeper, he was only on the subs bench at Woking at that time & yet he was soon a regular as we won promotion under GJ then got to the playoff final for the Prem.

Won South West sport personality of the year then as well.

Cost us nothing & yet will go down as an inspirational figure & a true City legend.

Not sure that I completely believe his version here of the Arsene Wenger business, mind..

• Like 1