IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

When you look at the list of players  we have sold over the past say 4 years or so they would have made quite a formidable team, it's frustrating being a city fan that's for sure.

It is part of Championship life for non Parachute clubs in fairness, certainly for those who seek to push for promotion (Coventry, Luton, Millwall all overachieve for their budgets). A few clubs could say the same about their sales too of course, but I do agree it's a shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It all depends on the new contract tbh well IMO anyway. If he won't sign at all we will have to reassess this summer and try to get as much as we can for him in summer 2023 or at a push January 2024.

Think if he develops as he should and of course injuries are key and can wreck or badly stall a trajectory then value definitely would grow or be retained if we sell at the right time of course.

Buying from abroad or even PL to PL does seem to be on the rise, worth watching where PL cash goes in the next few windows I believe- blip or trend, time will tell.

So many variables to consider aren't there?  Hopefully we can get a really good deal out of this (and of course, he stays injury free, develops and can have a great career for himself).

For all his faults, Ashton did manage to get some great income from the outgoing star players. Hopefully people behind the scenes can keep that trend going.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pillred said:

if only we could hold on to some of them for long enough to get to the top flight it might be us poaching promising players. I hope I live long enough to see us nick Bournemouth's best player off them god it annoys me that they are in a position to tempt away our best players. 

I thought we did ‘nick Bournemouth’s best player off them’ just a few years ago, but then his form dropped once he had signed a permanent contract (as we were warned), and he left for Cardiff.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

It also says that Semenyo is not signing a new contract. 

After the Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan fiasco you would think out of loyalty to the club that has made you. Extend your contract by 1 year just so the club get more money for you and have a release clause put in.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

After the Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan fiasco you would think out of loyalty to the club that has made you. Extend your contract by 1 year just so the club get more money for you and have a release clause put in.

Maybe, but I don't see why footballer's are treated any differently to any other walk of life. If most of us were offered more money and a golden hello to move to another company, I am pretty sure we would take it. 

From Antoine's point of view, the difference financially could be huge if he receives a signing on fee that's even 10% of the fee we are apparently asking for him. It's also worth pointing out that he hasn't always seen eye to eye with the club, and there is a suggestion that we have stood in his way before. He might have a bit of a grudge in that case.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Do the club pay leaving bonuses to academy kids who they release? 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

If that is the case, if Semenyo is still with us at the start of next season, would we let him rot in the reserves like Massengo?

It's been pointed out elsewhere that Massengo has made 99 league appearances for us. There's a possibility him being frozen out is at least in part due to us needing to pay additional money to his previous club if he makes a 100th. That would not be the case with Semenyo. 

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's been pointed out elsewhere that Massengo has made 99 league appearances for us. There's a possibility him being frozen out is at least in part due to us needing to pay additional money to his previous club if he makes a 100th. That would not be the case with Semenyo. 

I missed that so thanks for the reply. 

4 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

In respect of Bryan and Reid, worth pointing out that without a sale of some kind that season even had we added nobody we would likely have exceeded FFP albeit not by much. Basing my calculations on the losses pre transfer activity and the prior year actual 2 seasons.

Then it would have been a true gamble because we would have needed to go up in 2018-19 to make the gamble worth it or FFP would have been failed and we would have lost Bryan and Reid on a free. Maybe the sale of Flint and Magnússon would have solved the FFP but what happens with room to add? Not much IMO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

No not to my knowledge but in doing the above could prevent the club getting stitched up and a player leaving for nothing just an idea.

Depends what age they leave, and what leaving form they complete, as to whether we get any compo.  I know the question was more about the players contract though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

No not to my knowledge but in doing the above could prevent the club getting stitched up and a player leaving for nothing just an idea.

My point was more if City don't reward players for their loyalty (i.e. thanks for playing in our academy for X years), then why should players sign new contracts to  show loyalty to the club?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

That is great to hear, but I remember hearing similar comments when there was interest in Kodjia just before he was sold.

Tho these words could just be playing chess, "pay up or f off" because we really don't want to sell 

I think that may well be the case.

Almost every player is up for sale if the price is right regardless of who they play for.

We, like every other club, will have a value, that if met will allow a transfer to proceed, assuming that the player himself wants to move.

There is little doubt that the player, probably via his agent, will know who is interested in him, possibly before his club even does! And the player will also be aware of what they are prepared to offer him.

Its highly likely that Alex and Antoine will know and will have for some time, where the interest lies, and what is on offer.

All speculation, but if they gave the thumbs up on both the club that was interested and the contract on offer then the potential buying club would approach City. They are not going to do that without having a positive indication from the players agent.

SL can say we don’t want to sell etc, and that is likely to be true but ultimately money talks and he may have little choice but to sell if the bid is acceptable AND the players wants to go.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

My point was more if City don't reward players for their loyalty (i.e. thanks for playing in our academy for X years), then why should players sign new contracts to  show loyalty to the club?

Think there is a view that historically we’ve underpaid our Academy players compared to their “peers”, hence they’ve been keen to exploit the opportunity to look else, e.g. the grass is greener (more £s) on the other side of the fence.

• Like 1

Think Alex has his head screwed on, he knows what he gets from being here rather than (potentially) being on the bench of a PL side. I think with a pay rise to what one of our top earners will be under our new pay structure and a release clause that remains reasonable then I wouldn't be shocked if he signs it. He knows he's got more developing to do as a player and starting 40+ league games is helping with that. You never know, another championship season adding some more goals and assists to his game may persuade one of the big clubs to activate the clause.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Think Alex has his head screwed on, he knows what he gets from being here rather than (potentially) being on the bench of a PL side. I think with a pay rise to what one of our top earners will be under our new pay structure and a release clause that remains reasonable then I wouldn't be shocked if he signs it. He knows he's got more developing to do as a player and starting 40+ league games is helping with that. You never know, another championship season adding some more goals and assists to his game may persuade one of the big clubs to activate the clause.

I suppose the other thing that Alex Scott understands, is what it's like to be released from a club, therefore as he's got it good here at the moment, maybe it's too soon for him to be moving to a big PL side and not get the chance to impose himself.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, beaverface said:

I suppose the other thing that Alex Scott understands, is what it's like to be released from a club, therefore as he's got it good here at the moment, maybe it's too soon for him to be moving to a big PL side and not get the chance to impose himself.

It's probably wishful thinking on our part that he might stay as he believes it would be best for his development. If a prem team has an offer accepted he will be off. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It's probably wishful thinking on our part that he might stay as he believes it would be best for his development. If a prem team has an offer accepted he will be off. 

Can't argue with that either. If City receive a massive offer that's too good to be true, there's always the prospect that we may force his hand to accept.

11 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Can't argue with that either. If City receive a massive offer that's too good to be true, there's always the prospect that we may force his hand to accept.

I think a too good to be true offer would certainly interest the club, any club come to that, but I can’t see us forcing his hand. More likely that he would want to go given the opportunity to play at a higher level and of course the money.

IF, £25m is what we want, as ‘reported’ when Wolves were apparently enquiring that is , in my opinion, an offer that we would be foolish not to accept. 

That being the case it would then be down to the player and his agent.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 09:38, Banjo Red said:

What was the fiasco? We did well to get the money we did for them!

Football and loyalty should never be in the same sentence (except for fans!)

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

What was the fiasco? We did well to get the money we did for them!

Football and loyalty should never be in the same sentence (except for fans!)

Letting players run down their contracts and leaving for peanuts. Yes the money was ok but could have been better if the situation was managed correctly.

8 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Letting players run down their contracts and leaving for peanuts. Yes the money was ok but could have been better if the situation was managed correctly.

My memory must be going if that’s true. I don’t remember us getting less for Reid and Bryan than we could have expected due to their contract length

• Like 2
  • Flames 1