IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nixon says our asking price is £20m, mentions Crystal Palace and West Ham but thinks they don't see him as worth that.

Been told West Ham see themselves as out of the race, with bigger clubs sniffing around. Whether that ends up being the case remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1

From what I am led to believe by someone who works in the game, Scott is being actively shopped around by us to about 4 PL clubs. He will 100% be sold this summer and our recruitment plans are being based on this exact scenario.

Rightfully, we want to secure those deals (and have been told that 2 are pretty much done - one being Jack Currie at Wimbledon) before Scott's departure is confirmed - to prevent purchase inflation being applied, simply due to the fact that we get a big amount for Alex.

The job between now and then is get the most we can, but at least 2 of those 4 clubs will already do a deal around the £20m mark, with additions like England Caps etc. Rightfully, this will be done and our new players in, very early in the window (unlike the one just gone) so Nige and the team have the longest time possible to get the club prepped for the 23-24 season. 

Full credit to Alex, he deserves the opportunity, testament to the club that we are nurturing and developing talent, and despite his loss - this is another window where Pearson can use his nous to make us into an overall stronger unit.

Next year, could just be the long awaited year that we have been awaiting for - I'm genuinely excited to renew next year, and see how we can kick on and maintain/develop the style/system/attitude that Pearson has long mentioned are critical elements for a successful squad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Rightfully, this will be done and our new players in, very early in the window (unlike the one just gone) so Nige and the team have the longest time possible to get the club prepped for the 23-24 season.

…but very much like last summer where we did:

• Sykes - 16th May
  • Naismith - 27th May
  • Wilson - 10th June

…in the winter window we had to wait for Semenyo to go and the certainty of his money coming in before we could move for Mehmeti and Cornick.

That Semenyo money is the catalyst for early summer recruitment, rather than Scott, imho.  That’s not saying Scott won’t leave, just that we can get ahead of the game recruitment wise because we have created budget by selling 1) Semenyo, 2) renegotiated better for us (cheaper) contracts for any players we keep and 3) let OOC players go.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…but very much like last summer where we did:

• Sykes - 16th May
  • Naismith - 27th May
  • Wilson - 10th June

…in the winter window we had to wait for Semenyo to go and the certainty of his money coming in before we could move for Mehmeti and Cornick.

That Semenyo money is the catalyst for early summer recruitment, rather than Scott, imho.  That’s not saying Scott won’t leave, just that we can get ahead of the game recruitment wise because we have created budget by selling 1) Semenyo, 2) renegotiated better for us (cheaper) contracts for any players we keep and 3) let OOC players go.

Good points Dave and agree with what you say. The Semenyo deal was the cork in the bottle, which allowed the pre-discussed business to be concluded.

You are right - this summer, some of the Semenyo money will allow initial trading, but our summer recruitment will also be built on an FFP model where we know the minimum amount that we will get for Scott, to allow for additional investment. I don't think we will spend massive amounts, but can see 4/5 new players in easily - of which at least 3 will be with a fee attached. 

By getting a deal done soon, it allows us to plan well ahead. I can foresee that when we are definitely safe, and not in contention for play-offs (I don't feel we are, but mathematically remain so at present) - Scott will be rested significantly to avoid any injury ahead of a transfer and to give us time to learn how not to play without him there. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Good points Dave and agree with what you say. The Semenyo deal was the cork in the bottle, which allowed the pre-discussed business to be concluded.

You are right - this summer, some of the Semenyo money will allow initial trading, but our summer recruitment will also be built on an FFP model where we know the minimum amount that we will get for Scott, to allow for additional investment. I don't think we will spend massive amounts, but can see 4/5 new players in easily - of which at least 3 will be with a fee attached. 

By getting a deal done soon, it allows us to plan well ahead. I can foresee that when we are definitely safe, and not in contention for play-offs (I don't feel we are, but mathematically remain so at present) - Scott will be rested significantly to avoid any injury ahead of a transfer and to give us time to learn how not to play without him there. 

We are gonna need 4 or 5 at least with the OOC players leaving.

Currie will be an interesting one.  Does the summer give us different opportunities as the contract fate of other players is known?  Do Wimbledon try to play silly buggers (their prerogative)?  I’m in no way ITK but the stories of them wanting £1.2m were not true according to what I heard.  £600k is still a lot for a Lg2 player, but the loan-back was the killer.  We wanted to do it now, even at a fee slightly higher figure of £600k than we wanted to go, because we could’ve then moved Dasilva on and that would balance the finances.

Re Fees, think we are still in the relatively small fee range, ala Mehmeti.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Currie will be an interesting one.  Does the summer give us different opportunities as the contract fate of other players is known?  Do Wimbledon try to play silly buggers (their prerogative)?  I’m in no way ITK but the stories of them wanting £1.2m were not true according to what I heard.  £600k is still a lot for a Lg2 player, but the loan-back was the killer.  We wanted to do it now, even at a fee slightly higher figure of £600k than we wanted to go, because we could’ve then moved Dasilva on and that would balance the finances.

A friend of mine knows some of the top brass at Wycombe and the fee was around £900,000 with some add ons. They initially wanted more than double that, but wanted to sell to the right club and their own financial situation meant they needed to do something, Ainsworth was very keen to see him go and play for a club that had a proper approach about its ways with a respected manager at the helm. In hindsight, I bet he'd have preferred to not sell, get the QPR job and take him to Loftus in the summer. Mehmeti was held in very high regard by all at the club. We are lucky to have him and will develop into a top player - his last 2 games have shown us that promise already. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree, it seems like Wimbledon wanted to have their cake and eat it in January. Unfortunately for them, we are not Chelsea or Man City and we needed him now. I don't think there was any issues around valuation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Well if we start to see Scott used more sparingly in the run in, we'll know why!

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree, it seems like Wimbledon wanted to have their cake and eat it in January. Unfortunately for them, we are not Chelsea or Man City and we needed him now. I don't think there was any issues around valuation.

If the transfer is just paused til the summer we can live with that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Can you blame them? They would have been left with a few hours to replace him. They have a responsibility to their manager, players and supporters not to leave a hole in their points gathering, just as we do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Can you blame them? They would have been left with a few hours to replace him. They have a responsibility to their manager, players and supporters not to leave a hole in their points gathering, just as we do.

No, absolutely understandable that they should try and get the best deal they can, they were just unlucky that the only club interested (apparently) were unable to do the deal they wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

And of course they also lost Ryley Towler earlier in the window as well,  which must have left them short as the loan was intended for the season .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

A friend of mine knows some of the top brass at Wycombe and the fee was around £900,000 with some add ons. They initially wanted more than double that, but wanted to sell to the right club and their own financial situation meant they needed to do something, Ainsworth was very keen to see him go and play for a club that had a proper approach about its ways with a respected manager at the helm. In hindsight, I bet he'd have preferred to not sell, get the QPR job and take him to Loftus in the summer. Mehmeti was held in very high regard by all at the club. We are lucky to have him and will develop into a top player - his last 2 games have shown us that promise already. 

It was £1m, exactly the clause that was mentioned, no ability to negotiate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mozo said:

Well if we start to see Scott used more sparingly in the run in, we'll know why!

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If we're mid table and the season just running down I'd be more surprised if we did over play him, last thing we'd need would be him getting an injury keeping him out until after the window he's simply too valuable a asset to risk if we don't need to.

57 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If we're mid table and the season just running down I'd be more surprised if we did over play him, last thing we'd need would be him getting an injury keeping him out until after the window he's simply too valuable a asset to risk if we don't need to.

Keep him wrapped up in cotton wool until the Cup Final....................................

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Sun reporting Newcastle interest this morning. 

The level of club interested seems to be increasing. 

I understand Alex is a spurs supporter & would I guess choose them -

Imo,for what it's worth Newcastle would be a better fit,,with excellent support for his progression - Eddie Howe a great coach,great man manager(Cornick may advise) - along with a clear pathway into the first team for young talent.

If he does well for Howe,who will undoubtedly become England manager, this may in the future be a foot in the door re; the England squad.

25 million, 5 million in add ons - not a cent less.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

The Man City game could be a huge opportunity for both Alex and us to demonstrate what he’s all about. 

Of course he’s already scouted and known, but still probably under the radar of the majority of fans in the Premiership (where he will surely end up)

No better shop window for Alex or the club than Tuesday 

Heart in the mouth moment when he got that heavy knock in the first half. 

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Heart in the mouth moment when he got that heavy knock in the first half. 

Agreed

Does anyone know if he’s booked on Tuesday, would he be banned for two games ie do FA Cup bookings count? I know that if he was booked yesterday, he would have been OK for Tuesday and so assume it’s the same, the other way round?

On 23/02/2023 at 18:24, Sandhurst Red said:

Rightfully, we want to secure those deals (and have been told that 2 are pretty much done - one being Jack Currie at Wimbledon) before Scott's departure is confirmed - to prevent purchase inflation being applied, simply due to the fact that we get a big amount for Alex.

Good job you kept it quiet then :thumbsup:

Am I the only one, who doesn't actually think he will be sold in the summer. 

WE freed a lot of wages in January and anyone who stays now who is out of contract in the summer, will do so on much more favourable terms for us. We already know the direction we are looking in for players (League One and Two promising young players or out of contract players in this division) and we received a considerable fee for Semenyo and every chance of an add on, re Webster, Kelly or Brownhill in the summer. 

Alex also strikes me as a player with his head screwed on. Unlike Semenyo where he may not get many chances to play at the highest level, with Scott its a matter of when and not if, and moving to a lower league team only to find himself back in the Championship a year later will not appeal, neither will going to one of the big 6 and maybe going out on loan for one or two years before given that chance.

If we finish the year strong, and start next season well, I think he'll be happy to stay and try and help us get promotion ourselves. I think the only way he goes in the summer, is if a big club comes in and agrees to loan him back to us next year.