IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Am I the only one, who doesn't actually think he will be sold in the summer. 

WE freed a lot of wages in January and anyone who stays now who is out of contract in the summer, will do so on much more favourable terms for us. We already know the direction we are looking in for players (League One and Two promising young players or out of contract players in this division) and we received a considerable fee for Semenyo and every chance of an add on, re Webster, Kelly or Brownhill in the summer. 

Alex also strikes me as a player with his head screwed on. Unlike Semenyo where he may not get many chances to play at the highest level, with Scott its a matter of when and not if, and moving to a lower league team only to find himself back in the Championship a year later will not appeal, neither will going to one of the big 6 and maybe going out on loan for one or two years before given that chance.

If we finish the year strong, and start next season well, I think he'll be happy to stay and try and help us get promotion ourselves. I think the only way he goes in the summer, is if a big club comes in and agrees to loan him back to us next year. 

I think the idea of a loan back is utter fantasy. 

If any club is prepared to pay £25m+ for a player they will want to keep him in the building.Even if he is not starting he would certainly make the bench and equally importantly they would be looking to install patterns of play etc on a daily basis in training.

I think it is hugely unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely he will be here come August always assuming our valuation is met.

As for SL’s comments about a new contract being on the table,that is likely to be about the club trying to protect his value, in no way will it be remotely comparable to what will be on offer to the lad in the summer.

• Like 3

Newcastle United are reportedly the 'frontrunners' to sign Bristol City youngster Alex Scott according to Football Insider.

The Magpies are believed to be preparing a swoop for the 19-year-old, who is also being looked at by Premier League rivals Crystal Palace, Wolves and West Ham.

Football Insider claim that Eddie Howe's side are likely the favourites to sign the midfielder because they'll be willing to loan him back to the Robins for the 2023/24 season, something other clubs further down the table would not agree to.

Bristol City are believed to want around £25 million for Scott's services, and are preparing themselves to be the subject of a bidding war come the summer transfer window.

Be brilliant if we can negotiate a loan back deal. 

• Like 2

As I have said earlier I think a loan back is highly unlikely. Why would a club fork out £25m and then let him stay with the selling club?

I can understand why it happens when there are work permit issues - such as Chelsea are currently experiencing- but obviously that is not an issue here.

The players wishes also have to be considered, if you move on to another club you would want the opportunity to get familiar with your new surroundings and push on to try and at least get in the match day squad if not the starting 11.

From our point of view I can see the attractions in theory but surely better to move forward with players that are going to be here longer term.

Nige is also not keen on loans that in effect develop players for another club. I accept this is slightly different but the principle is the same.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

As I have said earlier I think a loan back is highly unlikely. Why would a club fork out £25m and then let him stay with the selling club?

I can understand why it happens when there are work permit issues - such as Chelsea are currently experiencing- but obviously that is not an issue here.

The players wishes also have to be considered, if you move on to another club you would want the opportunity to get familiar with your new surroundings and push on to try and at least get in the match day squad if not the starting 11.

From our point of view I can see the attractions in theory but surely better to move forward with players that are going to be here longer term.

Nige is also not keen on loans that in effect develop players for another club. I accept this is slightly different but the principle is the same.

If he goes to Newcastle, personally I will be delighted, a great club that is going places. Much prefer him to go there, rather than some tinpot outfit like Bournemouth.

£25M is relatively small change now to Newcastle since their takeover.

They may feel that Alex is not quite ready for their first x11, but securing him 12 months early ensures they do at least get him, with his value continuing to increase.

As proven, it is better for him to be playing Championship football week in week out, rather than in the P.L. U23 competition. Loaning him back to us ensures he continues to progress in an environment that is familiar to him, rather than a new set up at another (Championship or lower P.L.) club.

(Similar to Dele Ali going back to M.K. when Spurs signed him).

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I guess the main selling point of a loan back offer from Newcastle is that there may be better teams in for him (at the same money), and it’s more attractive to City to do a deal with them.  That’s the theory.

I think there will be so much talk about Scott this summer, it’ll be what it’ll be.

14 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Equally from our point of view, why not just keep him an extra year and sell him the following summer when he's worth even more?

• Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Equally from our point of view, why not just keep him an extra year and sell him the following summer when he's worth even more?

The sale (and loan back) will see Alex probably increase his salary tenfold - therefore a happy player.

He might not wish to stay another year, as our player, on his current contract.

Edited by The Gasbuster

6 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

The sale (and loan back) will see Alex probably increase his salary tenfold - therefore a happy player.

He might not wish to stay another year, as our player, on his current contract.

Equally if he’s not our player, he’s just got his big move, is he as committed to the cause?

Get as much money for him this summer and rebuild.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KegCity said:

He'll have 2 years left in the summer (perhaps an option), if there's no option keeping him for another season would put him in that dangerous 12 months left category, how much would teams pay and would Alex wait out a year to move at the end of his contract? No guarantee that extra year he plays as well or doesn't get a major injury. This summer is the optimal value for him all things considered, don't forget we're basically talking about being in the region of a championship record fee received around the level of James Maddison.

Edited by Lrrr

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He'll have 2 years left in the summer (perhaps an option), if there's no option keeping him for another season would put him in that dangerous 12 months left category, how much would teams pay and would Alex wait out a year to move at the end of his contract? No guarantee that extra year he plays as well or doesn't get a major injury. This summer is the optimal value for him all things considered, don't forget we're basically talking about being in the region of a championship record fee received around the level of James Maddison.

Exactly why we’re better off taking the most money possible and moving on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

He played well last night 1st half, showed he’s got the talent for the big leagues.  Bit more experience and fitness he can be a top top player.  Stand out for us with Kalas last night.

The extra fitness and stamina will come soon as he ceases being a late teenager and becomes a full adult. Just compare Foden now and two or three years ago as Man City used him more sparingly while he was where Scott is now.

• Like 2

It is getting to the point now where I think just value him at 30m and let it play out. You get the sense we are getting much closer to being a playoff type side. If we can add 3 new starting players(imo cb cm and rw) we have a solid enough squad to be compete for playoffs with Scott continuing to improve and staying. 

As for a loan back, I can’t see it at the prices being quoted. Newcastle will be in Europe next season plus wanting to compete in domestic cups again. I don’t think they’ll be spending 25m to loan him out. Perhaps Anderson on loan to sweeten it which I’d be fine with but imo no chance Scott leaves his next club in the summer. 

• Like 4

If he isn't first team ready for Newcastle, surely a year training with better players and learning from Eddie Howe (future England Manager imo) would be more beneficial than being part of a Championship team being flogged to death playing wise twice a week. Also things change quickly, what if Howe isn't at Newcastle in 18 months time. The next manager may not fancy him and that will be another year or so wasted.

• Like 4