IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

If Scott departs this summer, which with a contract to 2025 is not inevitable (despite what some on here think) , the fee will certainly be North of £20M and be a permanent transfer with no hope of a loan back. Even if the purchasing club considered a loan it would be to a club in a European top flight league where he could improve his skill set not a return to the championship. 

Of the current Premier league suitors (so we're told) Wolves will almost certainly have room in their midfield but would have to get over their reluctance to considerably up their offer. It would need a real hard sell for Scott to depart for Molyneux and I don't see it. 

Newcastle have the money but departures will need to be forthcoming for him to play regularly in the midfield. Could be an exciting addition though to feed the mercurial Saint Maxima. Not convinced he'd sign for a club that far north. 

Brighton would probably have to lose MacAllister or Caicedo or both for Scott to end up at the Amex. I think he'd be a good fit and would suit their style but will they pay the money? I'm not sure. 

Of others he'd get game time at Crystal Palace who like to buy and play youngsters from the Championship but will they pay the asking price this time around. West Ham have been mentioned but will the Irons be in the Premier League next season. He apparently supports Spurs but Conte doesn't play youngsters and he's not a player to sit permanently sit on a bench so it's, a non-starter for me. 

More left field he has said he wouldn't rule out playing abroad so how about Borussia Dortmund. Its fast becoming a wonderful place for young English talent fast tracking to the national team. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

He's not going to be loaned back, people need to get used to that.

Totally & I genuinely think it would be very difficult if he was, because in his mind he’s a Prem player then & so would suddenly find playing for us a completely different experience. We need to move on when he’s inevitably sold & use what part of the fee is available to strengthen.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

No disrespect to Wolves but I think he's better than that.

He is, but if they are the ones who are most determined to land him I would not be too surprised if he ends up there.

They don’t look relegation candidates under Lopetegui any more & he would have a very decent chance of featuring regularly. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If Scott departs this summer, which with a contract to 2025 is not inevitable (despite what some on here think) , the fee will certainly be North of £20M and be a permanent transfer with no hope of a loan back. Even if the purchasing club considered a loan it would be to a club in a European top flight league where he could improve his skill set not a return to the championship. 

Of the current Premier league suitors (so we're told) Wolves will almost certainly have room in their midfield but would have to get over their reluctance to considerably up their offer. It would need a real hard sell for Scott to depart for Molyneux and I don't see it. 

Newcastle have the money but departures will need to be forthcoming for him to play regularly in the midfield. Could be an exciting addition though to feed the mercurial Saint Maxima. Not convinced he'd sign for a club that far north. 

Brighton would probably have to lose MacAllister or Caicedo or both for Scott to end up at the Amex. I think he'd be a good fit and would suit their style but will they pay the money? I'm not sure. 

Of others he'd get game time at Crystal Palace who like to buy and play youngsters from the Championship but will they pay the asking price this time around. West Ham have been mentioned but will the Irons be in the Premier League next season. He apparently supports Spurs but Conte doesn't play youngsters and he's not a player to sit permanently sit on a bench so it's, a non-starter for me. 

More left field he has said he wouldn't rule out playing abroad so how about Borussia Dortmund. Its fast becoming a wonderful place for young English talent fast tracking to the national team. 

Conte won't be there beyond the end of the season, though I agree I can't see him going there.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Totally & I genuinely think it would be very difficult if he was, because in his mind he’s a Prem player then & so would suddenly find playing for us a completely different experience. We need to move on when he’s inevitably sold & use what part of the fee is available to strengthen.

He is, but if they are the ones who are most determined to land him I would not be too surprised if he ends up there.

They don’t look relegation candidates under Lopetegui any more & he would have a very decent chance of featuring regularly. 

I , reluctantly, agree. Playing regularly and well for a club like Wolves could prepare him for a move to a top six or top European club in a year or twos time. 
He would then go for upwards of 40 million with a nice little sell on for us.

If he goes directly to a top six club now it’s doubtful that he’d get as much game time. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, James54De said:

So, we actually rejected a £22 million bid in January. 

If the report is right, a £22m "package" could easily have been £15m up front, £3m if they finish in a certain league position, £2m if called up to the full England squad, and another £2m if he gets 10 England caps. Would very possibly/likely have had a sell on inserted as well somewhere.

Suddenly doesn't sound as good does it?

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nige said earlier - must be more than £25m and Wolves haven’t big…agent talk.

The Guardian quotes him in full:

After the game, manager Nigel Pearson made it clear City would want more than £25m for the in-demand Scott. “So far the speculation about Alex Scott has been cooked up by journalists and agents,” he said. “We have not received one firm offer. If we do, it will need be more than £25m in today’s market.

“I believe Alex will play for England one day. I thought that when I first saw him in a training session and nothing since has changed my mind. He is a level-headed lad, who won’t be affected by reports in the press. He will play for a top club one day and it’s just a question of when.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

25m for him now seems a bit cheap. Think we need to be looking at closer to 30m. 

We don't need to sell so that puts us in a strong position. I'd personally like to try and keep him until at least January as I think we could challenge for top 6 next season with him in the team. 

I am in no doubt that he'll go on to play for a top 4 club at some point in the future. Right now that might be a little out of reach. Maybe Spurs but they don't have the best record of buying and playing young English talents. 

Can't see Liverpool, United or Chelsea going for him right now. Man City maybe as they have recently been signing younger players. 

I think for him a move to someone like Brighton or Brentford would be the perfect move for him right now. Both really good clubs who develop players further. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

25m for him now seems a bit cheap. Think we need to be looking at closer to 30m. 

We don't need to sell so that puts us in a strong position. I'd personally like to try and keep him until at least January as I think we could challenge for top 6 next season with him in the team. 

I am in no doubt that he'll go on to play for a top 4 club at some point in the future. Right now that might be a little out of reach. Maybe Spurs but they don't have the best record of buying and playing young English talents. 

Can't see Liverpool, United or Chelsea going for him right now. Man City maybe as they have recently been signing younger players. 

I think for him a move to someone like Brighton or Brentford would be the perfect move for him right now. Both really good clubs who develop players further. 

Strictly speaking your right but this summer is when his value will be at its peak, after that his contract becomes an issue as it will be 18 months left in the January and 12 the following summer and we will be in a far weaker negotiating position.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Strictly speaking your right but this summer is when his value will be at its peak, after that his contract becomes an issue as it will be 18 months left in the January and 12 the following summer and we will be in a far weaker negotiating position.

You’d assume if he stays this summer it’s because he’s signed the contract that’s on the table???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Political issues aside, I’d see Newcastle as a top move for him. They’re not quite huge, but now have the cash to get there - more potential than Brentford or Brighton.

Eddie Howe would be a good mentor and I think he’d actually have a chance of getting into the side  quite quickly, in contrast with say Man City or Spurs.

• Like 5

I reckon minimum 30mill with add ons and a sell on would do it. 25mill or less just doesn’t seem enough. We need to maximise the fee as these chances come around once in a blue moon.

That being said, would rather he stay for one more year for a proper play off push and if we go up, he simply stays with us unless a grealish level offer comes in. We can only dream….

• Like 3

On 10/03/2023 at 09:52, cidercity1987 said:

I agree and why would the club want to? We haven't loaned anyone in for a while now as we don't want to develop other clubs players and I don't see why that would be different here

You're right that we haven't loaned anyone in for a while now.....  But Alex Scott isn't "anyone".  To refuse the chance to take him on would be madness and I can't see the club wanting to refuse unless it affects the financial recompense of the sale.

There are exceptions to every rule and I've no doubt he would be the exception to that one.

That said, according to Nige, nothing has been offered so far and so it's all conjecture and what if's in any case.

14 hours ago, Leveller said:

Political issues aside, I’d see Newcastle as a top move for him. They’re not quite huge, but now have the cash to get there - more potential than Brentford or Brighton.

Eddie Howe would be a good mentor and I think he’d actually have a chance of getting into the side  quite quickly, in contrast with say Man City or Spurs.

Problem with Newcastle and Man C is there won't be a chance of a sell on so that adds £10m.

18 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Problem with Newcastle and Man C is there won't be a chance of a sell on so that adds £10m.

Totally get your point, but everything would depend on where his career went.
You put clauses for games played, honours won etc and you would still expect his value to rise just by being there. So even if he went to a smaller club after it could be worth something. 
You are right though, the Webster type route looks best for us. Sell to a middling Prem Club for decent money, then hope a bigger fish comes in for him. I still hold out hopes for Webster to get a "big" move. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

And even then you’d think it’s still highly unlikely. 

Yeah I think Alex has his sights set higher than a yo-yo club, unless they make him promises about being able to be let go on the cheap if they get relegated or a club in European football want him - but I doubt someone paying 25mil would want to put those clauses in.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And even then you’d think it’s still highly unlikely. 

Actually I did wonder about this, I could see a scenario where Pep feels he is not quite ready for his team, but a recommendation to get some experience under Kompany, one of his protégé would make sense. 

I haven't seen much of Burnley this season, but from what I have seen they seem a million miles from the "bust a gut" side relying on set pieces type side they were under Dyche.