IGNORED

SOTC

ohhhshauntaylor

I’m exiled from Bris, so use commuting time to catch up, but was in the right “zone” to listen in tonight- and I have to say really enjoyed the show. 
We’re lucky to have Geoff as a broadcaster, and despite his Gas links, he’s a very good impartial asset to Radio Bristol. 

I thought the panel tonight we’re also very good- seemed to speak a lot of sense and give balanced opinions on various topics (including the new kit ???

I think from memory all of the guests tonight had been on before, and all the guests Geoff has offer differing opinions (far better than you know who post game on the phone)

We’re fortunate to have some great BCFC podcasts, OTIB and also SOTC- and all offer a  good balance of views and opinions! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I’m exiled from Bris, so use commuting time to catch up, but was in the right “zone” to listen in tonight- and I have to say really enjoyed the show. 
We’re lucky to have Geoff as a broadcaster, and despite his Gas links, he’s a very good impartial asset to Radio Bristol. 

I thought the panel tonight we’re also very good- seemed to speak a lot of sense and give balanced opinions on various topics (including the new kit ???

I think from memory all of the guests tonight had been on before, and all the guests Geoff has offer differing opinions (far better than you know who post game on the phone)

We’re fortunate to have some great BCFC podcasts, OTIB and also SOTC- and all offer a  good balance of views and opinions! 

Let's hope that the local radio cuts don't include SOTC. Whilst live local sports commentary will continue under the plans I'm not so sure about programmes such as SOTC.

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Let's hope that the local radio cuts don't include SOTC. Whilst live local sports commentary will continue under the plans I'm not so sure about programmes such as SOTC.

Hardly the most expensive show to produce I would imagine, so you would like to think it will continue.

10 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Geoff is by a country mile the best sport presenter we have had in this part of the world.

He mixes an understanding of the game, having played it at a decent level, with an ability to ask good intelligent questions & not be fobbed off by sound bites or spin. 

It makes no difference at all that he’s ex Rovers, it was all a very long time ago now & whilst he will have some affection for a club he served in various capacities, he’s a Liverpool fan, which in his case is totally understandable.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Who were they? 

Joe Folker

Tom Mills (not heard him before)

Del Bussey

I don’t always agree with everything they say, but they put across their rationale well, and it makes you think about your own view…Joe especially.  I like that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Geoff is by a country mile the best sport presenter we have had in this part of the world.

He mixes an understanding of the game, having played it at a decent level, with an ability to ask good intelligent questions & not be fobbed off by sound bites or spin. 

It makes no difference at all that he’s ex Rovers, it was all a very long time ago now & whilst he will have some affection for a club he served in various capacities, he’s a Liverpool fan, which in his case is totally understandable.

Geoff was always great at giving Mark Ashton sufficient rope with which to hang himself.  "Why did you appoint Dean above all the other candidates you could have chosen during that lengthy appointmenst procedure?"  "Um, he's, um.... a decent human being!" :laughcont:

I generally only listen to him with regard to City and he does always come across as being genuinely enthusiastic for the team.

When I used to be close enough to listen to RB on Saturday afternoons he was equally enthusiastic about Rovers and, while they were up there, Yeovil.

He likes all the local teams IMHO, I have never heard so much as a single dig at any of them.

The only bias he has, and I am sure that he would freely admit to this, is that his lifelong club is Liverpool.  Though he very rarely mentions this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Geoff was always great at giving Mark Ashton sufficient rope with which to hang himself.  "Why did you appoint Dean above all the other candidates you could have chosen during that lengthy appointmenst procedure?"  "Um, he's, um.... a decent human being!" :laughcont:

I generally only listen to him with regard to City and he does always come across as being genuinely enthusiastic for the team.

When I used to be close enough to listen to RB on Saturday afternoons he was equally enthusiastic about Rovers and, while they were up there, Yeovil.

He likes all the local teams IMHO, I have never heard so much as a single dig at any of them.

The only bias he has, and I am sure that he would freely admit to this, is that his lifelong club is Liverpool.  Though he very rarely mentions this.

Not sure that it's correct that he hasn't had a dig at any of the local teams as he will call them out when they deserve it and question why a particular player has been left out or played in a different position. Always gives time to the old players and any charity events Fair to all sides and just wants them to do well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He had Ashton pegged as a bullshit merchant for a long time, and it was evident whenever he interviewed him. Ashton knew it too.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Not sure that it's correct that he hasn't had a dig at any of the local teams as he will call them out when they deserve it and question why a particular player has been left out or played in a different position. Always gives time to the old players and any charity events Fair to all sides and just wants them to do well. 

I meant generalized digs.

Swap it round and if he was an ex-City player I think we'd be mildly disappointed that he wasn't putting the odd dig into Rovers.

Geoff receives more praise here than on Rovers sites and I think that's the root cause: we're delighted that he is wholly unbiased but they're slightly disappointed by it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Has often had a go at Rovers, far more than City, probably so as not to show obvious bias to his ex team, got to agree though that he is an excellent broadcaster 

55 minutes ago, leader said:

Never heard of those 3 names how long they been going couple of years no mention of how city played at Swansea  I reckon there yes men not saying nothing negative last four away games been dismal

How many fans do you know by name ???

Why do they have to be negative, why not constructive, context driven in their summaries?

I guess we could’ve just listened to Tony Wilkins spouting his usual baseless shit.  I’d have switched off, whereas I enjoyed listening to the points they made, which were not as “yes men”.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Joe Folker

Tom Mills (not heard him before)

Del Bussey

I don’t always agree with everything they say, but they put across their rationale well, and it makes you think about your own view…Joe especially.  I like that.

Gave Del his only booking for Sneyd Park !!