IGNORED

Referee Suspended For Using Initiative

handsofclay

In a second tier match in Egypt a referee, used to officiating in the top tier of Egyptian football where VAR is deployed, borrowed a spectator's phone to replay a goal that the team that conceded it were complaining about. He then seen there was a handball so disallowed it. 

He has now been suspended even though he arrived at the right decision because he used modern technology and his initiative. Yet in the top tier it's fine to use video assistance. 

Seems a shame as by this means VAR can be used in virtually any match even on the Downs League and maybe an app could be developed which could put the lines on the phone to help determine offsides too.

Obviously it might take a bit of time locating which fan in a crowd of thousands has the best video clip of the incident and the phone might meet with an accident as it's being passed around the ground towards the ref if it purports to show something detrimental to the side most of the spectators support, but there is a germ of a great idea there. Surely ideas like this should be encouraged and refs who use their initiative to arrive at the right decision should be embraced and not punished.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

It seems a bit random though. I’ve several times offered referees the temporary use of my glasses. None have ever taken up the offer. 

Back in the 50s, my dad used to stand (on Crackers' Corner) behind an old bloke who had a glass eye.  One game this fella got particularly wound up and he popped out his eye and rolled it on the pitch: "Yur ref. Thee can use 'ee!"

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Back in the 50s, my dad used to stand (on Crackers' Corner) behind an old bloke who had a glass eye.  One game this fella got particularly wound up and he popped out his eye and rolled it on the pitch: "Yur ref. Thee can use 'ee!"

I had a mate that used to put his glass eye in his beer on the bar when he went the gents, to ensure no-one drank it ??

Edited by bpexile
  • Haha 3

I met a woman with a glass eye once. We were sat on neighbouring tables in a hotel restaurant. She suddenly sneezed and her glass eye popped out and I managed to stop it landing on the floor. After she put it back in we got chatting, found we had a lot in common and had a really enjoyable evening, and swapped phone numbers.  I asked if she often found herself doing this with strange men and she said “no, not often, it was just that you happened to catch my eye”. 

• Haha 6

Our coach driver for away games had one ear, plus a false one.  It was really noticeable because he had a big pirate loop earring on it that drew it to your attention.

Every game though, in the opposition bar, someone would make sure he had a drink and then ask him, “hey Rick, do you want a drink?”, he’d reply “no, I’ve got one ‘ere”, to which he’d get the reply “we know you’ve got one ear, but do you want a drink” and lots of chuckles from all of us.

• Haha 2

On 23/03/2023 at 19:17, Davefevs said:

Our coach driver for away games had one ear, plus a false one.  It was really noticeable because he had a big pirate loop earring on it that drew it to your attention.

Every game though, in the opposition bar, someone would make sure he had a drink and then ask him, “hey Rick, do you want a drink?”, he’d reply “no, I’ve got one ‘ere”, to which he’d get the reply “we know you’ve got one ear, but do you want a drink” and lots of chuckles from all of us.

:facepalm: ?