IGNORED

Ryley Towler

It seems that Towler was hooked at half time during a 45 minute nightmare display, as Portsmouth trailed 2-0 to Port Vale at home. The strikers that tormented him included Matty Taylor. Pompey fought back to draw, and the manager said that Towler would come back stronger from this. This all seems very reminiscent of Towler's debut here, when exactly the same thing happened. 
Wish the lad well as apparently he has been excellent since signing, and hope this doesnt affect his confidence.

• Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I read the post match with the manager. He basically said the experience of Ellis Harrison and Matty Taylor gave him a dreadful time. 

Just worked out that, that's two against one. No wonder Towler had a tough game. Why didn't the manager get him some help ie man mark one of them leaving Towler to sort the other. Bit like young Tanner who has Foden and Silva on him and was subbed. 

• Haha 2

I’ve watched this game. Trust me, Ryley’s performance was nowhere near worth ‘hooking at half time’. 
He made a couple of judgemental errors in the first 10 mins. 
Basically, there were 3 occasions where he hesitated to attack the aerial ball and instead he dropped off. I think it was due to a strong wind which was holding the ball up and so he decided to not try to ‘go over the top’ of the attacker and instead dropped off for a 2nd ball. 
Problem was, one of these hesitations led to Taylor being allowed to flick the ball wide, from which they then attacked, put in a cross and scored. Albeit, there was calamitous defending by 2 other defenders and so Towler was by no means ‘to blame’ for the goal. 
Their goalie also produced at least 3 clangers, one of which resulted in the 2nd goal. 

Aside from those 3 instances where Ryley hesitated to attack the first ball, he actually had a decent rest of the half. So I was quite surprised when he was taken off at half time. I was watching and waiting for an absolute howler but it never arrived. It was simply that first 10 mins of aerial hesitation. 

I suppose you could say that the manager got it right, as they came back for a draw in the 2nd half, but I can assure you that this was in no way a dreadful display from Ryley. In fact he was playing well aside from those 3 hesitations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

All this just seems to indicate that City were justified in selling as he is not currently of Championship calibre. 

He's young and should want to improve to get back in the Pompey team - his level is probably League 1 or 2 but who knows?

Typical OTIB over reaction - player that most of us didn't see in his last game wasn't MOTM so is immediately no better than L1 or L2. 

Most players aren't at their best most of the time. Doesn't mean they're lower-league fodder, especially given the age of Towler, he has years of coaching and development ahead of him. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Typical OTIB over reaction - player that most of us didn't see in his last game wasn't MOTM so is immediately no better than L1 or L2. 

Most players aren't at their best most of the time. Doesn't mean they're lower-league fodder, especially given the age of Towler, he has years of coaching and development ahead of him. 

Exactly. Its not like the doors have come off his career. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I remain of the view Ryley is an out-goer we will regret. Was he not utilised in our first team more than once as a full back? Think this was the period when Nige seemed to lose the plot a little - with the likes of Bell as well. 

Would have thought a youngster just making the gigantic leap up from Under 23’s to First Team should only be played in their favoured position at least until bedded in a bit.