IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think it was more what he didn't say.

Most recognise that NP has done a good job in clearing up the mess created by SL and MA, but SL bigs up Mark Robins at Coventry and the job he's done whilst ignoring NPs input here other than saying we should have had more points and further up the table (not necessarily in that interview) and his son said the same. They are on a different page to NP imo.

To be fair to Robins, I don’t think anyone  on here would have picked them as playoff contenders at the beginning of the season, or even 10 games in. What he has done is improve Coventry every year, despite all the challenges, and been given a bit of time to do it as they moved from League 2 to the brink of the Premiership.  

Nige is 2 years into sorting out our club, and other than the wobble around Christmas, we were never really in relegation troubles. He has cleared out a lot of high wage players, brought through a lot of youngsters, and put us back on a much more even keel than the shambles he inherited from Holden, Johnson and Ashton. One was out of his depth, while the less said about the other two the better. We now play a brand of football than is more exciting than the terminally boring last few years of Johnson and the truly dire under Holden.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Most recognise that NP has done a good job in clearing up the mess created by SL and MA, but SL bigs up Mark Robins at Coventry and the job he's done whilst ignoring NPs input here other than saying we should have had more points and further up the table (not necessarily in that interview) and his son said the same. They are on a different page to NP imo.

Yep.

27 minutes ago, chinapig said:

To recognise what Nigel has done he'd have to admit he created a mess by giving Ashton a free hand. He doesn't admit to making mistakes so he can't give Nigel credit.

On the other hand Gould and now Alexander have given Nigel great credit because it doesn't bruise their ego to do so.

Yep.

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Thanks for that, just listened  but really couldn't hear anything too untoward in what he said. The only thing that was said is that they had some disagreements, but that's fine , surely ?

Same here, thought it was a honest interview but it's very clear we have to improve on league position next season, which I'm sure Nigel has no illusions about. No bigging up for the sake of it.

I've read a fair few mentions about SL's ego but to me he's never come across to me as particularly an egotist, in fact completely the opposite. He's clearly quite reserved and not very confident in front of a mic/camera, although he did wam up a bit towards the end of the interview with 20man. He's very rarely in the press local or national and never on social media. Maybe I've just had too much of Dale Bloody Vince, on Twitter, Facebook, Local Papers, Local Radio, BBC TV, Radio 5, Blogs etc etc around here!!! Literally every week his mug, gleaming white teeth and trendy haircut (he's 61) pops up somewhere or other. FGR is all about Dale Vince and no-one dares disagree with him. His luck finally ran out last season and the lack of football knowledge was all too obvious. Suddenly he couldn't fix things by chucking a load of money at the problem.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Most recognise that NP has done a good job in clearing up the mess created by SL and MA, but SL bigs up Mark Robins at Coventry and the job he's done whilst ignoring NPs input here

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

They are on a different page to NP imo.

In honesty I feel the Lansdownes are on a different page to anybody whom understands football.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

The Lansdowns are always on a different page, look where that’s got us on the pitch in the last two decades? Two arrogant, ignorant buffons when it comes to football IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like Nige has told him a few home truths over his term here…and he didn’t take too kindly to it.

When NP was appointed I remember thinking, well that's great for the club but I'm surprised that SL hasn't gone for a more, shall we say, diplomatic manager (ie soft touch).

Their personalities were always going to clash. To SL's credit though, he stuck with NP after the poor end to the Holden season when he could have gone another way. He stuck with him during the bout of long covid and seems from the outside to have supported many of NP's suggestions, such as changes to coaching staff and releasing players from contracts. I doubt NP has had carte blanched but he doesn't come across as shackled in any way.

So maybe it is an unlikely combination that actually works?

Having said that, speaking of diplomacy, there was absolutely no need for SL to publicly reference any disagreements. What's the point? What could be gained. He's an odd communicator.

Circling back to the topic, I wonder how aligned the two are on the Scott situation...

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Yep, and so had forest and bournemouth!

The two cases were very different. I'll explain a bit. The rules have been evolving every few years too.

Nottingham Forest

May or may not have breached in the 3 year Period ending 2022 last year, it's hard to say. My view is that there is perhaps a case to answer owing to excessive Covid losses in 2021-22 especially, but in 2017 when Marinakis took over there was a debt write off.

This does not count towards FFP save for possible interest on said debt- that bit does go through Profit and Loss and if interest of say £2m per year on the debt that is a cost saving of £2m per year orwards FFP. £6m in 3 years means £6m more room to breathe.

Nottingham Forest had also been under embargo for some time under the old owner and this naturally restricted spending which freed up some headroom for a new owner.

Bournemouth

Under the old 1 year rule where it was a fine if promoted in breach or a transfer embargo from the January window of the following year, Bournemouth in 2015 as did Leicester in 2014 and QPR in 2014 all went up in breach. The League only discovered this in December of the following season, too late!

The PL cash and Parachute Payments kept Bournemouth narrowly compliant to 2022 plus it is worth noting that each PL season has an extra £22m on top of each £13m loss provided the equity is there. ie PL-PL-Champ is £35m-£35m-£13m..£83m it is!

Covid complicated this further and it is over 4 years but divided by 3...to 2021, 2022, 2023.

£35m + £35m + £13m + £13m=£96m..£96m/4 x 3. Oh and 2019-20 and 2020-21 aggregated and halved. Bournemouth therefore but not  by much fall within the £72m.

As for the expenditure post change of owners I believe the Bournemouth owner was priming them for takeover a bit. The new owner inherits the FFP position left by the old, they are still working towards £72m losses but next season it will be £83m.

Changes and evolution to the FFP regs

Bits of this are still to be tested fully. However from say 2013-14 to 2015-16 it was one year rule only and purely retrospective.

In 2016-17 the wider range of sanctions came in as voted for by the clubs and one year became 3. 2014-15 and 2015-16 were added to 2016-17 and what was lost in the last two became the new 3 year rule. If exceeding £13m, then 2016-17 was reset to £13m if newly relegated PL losses fed in etc.

As we know more sanctions and more real time.

During Covid and in the aftermath there were a number of regulatory changes again voted on, which directly impacted FFP rules.

1) New Owner must as part of Owners and Directors Test must demonstrate how they will comply with FFP. It must be incorporated into their Business Plan, this arose in 2020. Think over the following two years. The new owner must also acceed to the League having such monitoring powers as it sees fit in order to ensure compliance wirh all applicable financial regs including FFP.

2) There is a section in the FFP rules, voted in as part of Covid reforms which makes allowance for Covid losses across 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 which gives the League stronger monitoring requirements.

As well as the "If FFP losses fall between £15-39m then the club must submit by end of March, the following two years of Projected financials including FFP expectations" there is a section that gives the opportunity for the League and club to work together on a Business Plan or similar to control expenditure etc. In other words, to prevent a breach before it happens.

If in the reasonable opinion of the League a club is set to breach one year down the line then they can impose such monitoring requirements as they see fit to assist the club in not doing so! A new owner shouldn't chsnge this fact. There is even the possibility to go two years down the line with this but it is quite rare and unusual probably

What I would question is whether we have been treated not equally as such but equitably by the League looking at the relative freedom of some other clubs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

To be fair to Robins, I don’t think anyone  on here would have picked them as playoff contenders at the beginning of the season, or even 10 games in. What he has done is improve Coventry every year, despite all the challenges, and been given a bit of time to do it as they moved from League 2 to the brink of the Premiership.  

Nige is 2 years into sorting out our club, and other than the wobble around Christmas, we were never really in relegation troubles. He has cleared out a lot of high wage players, brought through a lot of youngsters, and put us back on a much more even keel than the shambles he inherited from Holden, Johnson and Ashton. One was out of his depth, while the less said about the other two the better. We now play a brand of football than is more exciting than the terminally boring last few years of Johnson and the truly dire under Holden.

Thought Holden caretaker stint and first 10-11 League games and few Cup was overall okay tbh.

The turning point in that regard came in victory at Cardiff. Early goal by Martin..then we were just hanging on! Beating Cardiff away well we'll take it but his whole style seemed to change from then onwards for the most part- odd alright performance here and there but not really.

33 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

I notice on England duty he seems to hang around with Alfie Devine. I reckon Scott will end up at spurs 

Alex said recently that Devine was his best mate in the England squad.

As to Spurs they don't have a Sporting Director or a Manager so who knows what will happen?

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

A lot of talk on Twitter today from various Liverpool accounts saying they are and have been playing close attention to Alex.

maybe suggest if he plays well for the u20s they might come in for him? Nothing confirmed but something to think about.

Is a rebuilding Liverpool the right fit for our 19 year old maestro? 

9 minutes ago, George Rs said:

A lot of talk on Twitter today from various Liverpool accounts saying they are and have been playing close attention to Alex.

maybe suggest if he plays well for the u20s they might come in for him? Nothing confirmed but something to think about.

Is a rebuilding Liverpool the right fit for our 19 year old maestro? 

Liverpool definitely need to rebuild their midfield, but could be to much of responsibility to put on the shoulders of a 19 year old. Not impossible if they see him as a player for the next 10 years, but suspect they are more likely to spend quite a bit more for already established players - MacAllister heavily rumoured and he's a World Cup Winner ( I know Alex is but that wasn't the big one)

• Like 1