IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The best example of creating a goal but not getting an assist - Conway’s diving header at Blackburn.  Dribbles out of defence to pass to Weimann. Or Preston (a). That’s why judging on assists (and goals) is an incredibly blinkered way of judging Alex Scott. 

Spot on.

I watched the goals again from our win at Stoke last night, Mehmeti’s winner comes from a simple Wells pass, so it is his assist.

Wells actually gets the ball after brilliant play by Weimann who intercepts it, runs forward evading a challenge & then plays a superb pass through the legs of a Stoke defender to Wells.

No assist for that.

• Like 2

The market moves quickly. I'm sure it'll come back round again but so far some of the speculated options..look more doubtful as it stands right now.

Leicester and Leeds to a lesser extent were credited with an interest. ❌ We know why thst is now a non starter- relegation

Wolves have seemed very interested but will FFP thwart plans? Will they be spending £25-30m on a player as things stand.

Brighton seem a good fit but their transfer policy is a bit of an unknown tbh. Sale of McAlister and maybe Caicedo, Milner and Dahoud in on a free is different. £30m on Joao Pedro will they go big across multiple or not? Nobody knows..also keen on Colwill from Chelsea reportedly- centre back, on loan there last year.

West Ham had been touted by many but so far in CM they are linked with the following, not saying they would look to sign them all by any stretch:

Alvarez (Ajax), McTominay (Man United), Palhinha (Fulham), Phillips (Man City) and Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Tottenham should be a decent bet but new manager- that again adds a time lag and uncertainty.

Market moves quickly, lot of this could be outdated again within a week.

I’ve said this before on here and I’ll say it again.

Alex Scott is the best young player I’ve seen play for City in the 40 years I’ve been watching. He’s sublime on the ball and, in his quiet games, does his job very well defensively. His positional awareness and reading of the game is unbelievably good for a 19 year old.

Are there things he can improve on? Of course. He needs more to score more goals, and as many have set his dead ball delivery can improve. There’s no doubt in my mind he will nail both of those relative weaknesses.

He’s the real deal and will go to the very, very top of the game. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I think he'll still be here this season , which is fine, but kinda buggers up our recruiting plans. There doesn't seem to be any whiff of a rumour about his transfer which I thought there would have been by now ?

You are aware we're not even halfway through June? 

• Sad 1

I’ve been following the City for 30 years now and quite simply he’s the best young player we’ve been lucky to have in that time by a very long way. The boy is class and there are many reasons every big club in England, and some in Europe, are following him.

He’s got nearly every attribute you want from a young midfielder, plus good experience playing in the second tier and in several positions. He’s ahead of his peers who are stagnating in youth teams at the biggest clubs. 

I’ve got no doubt he will become a household name in the near future, including playing for England. All of that is what clubs are willing to pay big bucks for. The sky’s his limit.

• Like 5

Mentioned previously that a non-departure seriously affects our transfer plans - but does it? Any potential large fee received will obviously mean we have more to spend, but we seem to have done some decent business already on the strength of our restructuring. Or have the McCrorie and Dickie signings (and hopefully more to come) been completed on the basis we're pretty confident that Scott money will be incoming this Summer?

13 minutes ago, BS3City said:

Mentioned previously that a non-departure seriously affects our transfer plans - but does it? Any potential large fee received will obviously mean we have more to spend, but we seem to have done some decent business already on the strength of our restructuring. Or have the McCrorie and Dickie signings (and hopefully more to come) been completed on the basis we're pretty confident that Scott money will be incoming this Summer?

Thanks to our cost cutting and the sale of Semenyo what we have spent so far is not a risk.

I don't think we would spend a significant amount on the assumption that Scott will leave. Don't count your chickens and all that.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BS3City said:

100% not. Completely goes against what they’ve been working towards that. Spending money because there’s a chance more comes in the future is just silly.

In Phil’s first interview he talked about how they were already planning for the summer and that was in February. I can say pretty confidently they would’ve covered all basis. Here there is only two, sell Scott or keep Scott. If we keep Scott we may sign less players then if we did sell.

But they wouldn’t have signed players without having the money to do so. Quite clearly using some of the semenyo funds that some seem to have forgotten we have recieved. And either way if we end up keeping Scott (which I don’t think will happen) we definitely won’t be left short.

• Thanks 1

Broken record from me…sorry.

The Semenyo money served two purposes (imho):

• Ensure that FFP was well covered
  • Allow us to be proactive in the summer window

Wgat we didn’t want to have to do is sit there and wait for someone to be sold before we could move on our targets.  Nor did we want to chase targets without knowing we’d sold someone.

Semenyo enabled us to move early.

Its also allowed us to get two players in who can both play CB, so that if Kalas decides to go, we are less exposed.

You can’t control all of recruitment, but you can be prepared and mitigate as many risks as possible.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, George Rs said:

100% not. Completely goes against what they’ve been working towards that. Spending money because there’s a chance more comes in the future is just silly.

In Phil’s first interview he talked about how they were already planning for the summer and that was in February. I can say pretty confidently they would’ve covered all basis. Here there is only two, sell Scott or keep Scott. If we keep Scott we may sign less players then if we did sell.

But they wouldn’t have signed players without having the money to do so. Quite clearly using some of the semenyo funds that some seem to have forgotten we have recieved. And either way if we end up keeping Scott (which I don’t think will happen) we definitely won’t be left short.

Don`t forget that Mehmeti and Cornick were `due` to be done in this window but were brought forward after we sold Antoine.

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Don`t forget that Mehmeti and Cornick were `due` to be done in this window but were brought forward after we sold Antoine.

Forgot to add, based on rumoured fees / contract length and my guess at wages:

• Dickie £700k - £233k p.a. (amortisation) + £500k p.a (wages)
  • McCrorie £1.2m - £400k p.a + £400k p.a
  • Cornick £300k - £85k p.a + £400k p.a
  • Mehmeti £1m - £285k p.a + £350k p.a

in total they are costing us this year -  £1.003m in amortisation and £1.650m in wages

Semenyo brought in circa £10m.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Then the savings, the structural savings which are all important. Yeah we don't need to sell Scott but need to avoid excessive or extravagantly spending.

Bentley- £2m, 4 year deal wasn't it? I'll guess £10-20k per week. Saving £0.5m and £0.52-1.04m.

Kalas- Reported fee £8m, 4 years, wages I am guessing £20-25k per week. Saving £2m and £1.04-1.3m.

DaSilva- Fee £2m, 4 years? Wages I am guessing £10-15k per week? £0.5m and £0.52-£0.78m.

Massengo- Fee £2m, 4 years? Wages £10-15k per week? £0.5m and £0.52-0.78m.

Klose- £5-10k per week? Left in January, maybe a partial saving then but £0.26-0.52m this time. No amortisation 

Martin- Yes he left in January and it was accelerated but when he signed might he have been on £10-15k per week? Maybe a partial saving in January but £0.52-0.78m.

Moore- Negligible amortisation but would we have partially have covered wages at Shrewsbury. If so that also off the books any partial coverage.

Baker- Retired but the correct thing done. Covered wages- £5-10k per week maybe? Off the books too.

£3.5m in amortisation plus any savings from Wells renegotiation and £3.64m to £5.72m per year.

Plus of course, savings from Bentley, Massengo deparures and any savings if Klose and Martin waived part of wages to pursue other ventures early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mr P.  You know me, from a budgetary perspective, amortisation of Kalas, Massengo, Moore etc shouldn’t be in the budget for this season and beyond, so I tend to disregard.  But I know you are thinking about it from budget difference from 22/23 to next season, and you’re right it’s a huge swing.

I think there’s a bit more in the pot without Scott needing to go…and by pot I mean to finance a signing of maybe £2m and wages on a 3 or 4 year deal.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mr P.  You know me, from a budgetary perspective, amortisation of Kalas, Massengo, Moore etc shouldn’t be in the budget for this season and beyond, so I tend to disregard.  But I know you are thinking about it from budget difference from 22/23 to next season, and you’re right it’s a huge swing.

I think there’s a bit more in the pot without Scott needing to go…and by pot I mean to finance a signing of maybe £2m and wages on a 3 or 4 year deal.

And that’s all in the pot from previous sales and cuts.
I don’t know whether they have liberties to spend beyond that now that we seem to be “out of deep shit” and clearly have at least top 8 aspirations for next season.

l Think we will be alright no matter what happens via AS but i personally would like him to stay at least one more season.

• Like 2

Not Scott related as such but West Ham currently linked with Palhinha and one report says £50m, another £60m.

My point is, would West Ham be looking to sign him and Scott in the same summer, post Rice?

Otoh could that then see Fulham look at Scott should that go through. Dominoes etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

57 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

I wouldn’t of thought so…..can see them using the Rice money on established top level players. Moyes can’t afford a bad start to the season so can’t see him wanting to spend on a player like Scott.

Conference League win will gives Moyes some goodwill I imagine in the eventuality they have another slow start again but I'm leaning towards the same, that they'll go more for "proven" commodities.

They've already brought in Dahoud on a free but in my mind I still think it's gonna be Brighton who comes knocking.

39 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

Conference League win will gives Moyes some goodwill I imagine in the eventuality they have another slow start again but I'm leaning towards the same, that they'll go more for "proven" commodities.

They've already brought in Dahoud on a free but in my mind I still think it's gonna be Brighton who comes knocking.

Dahoud and Milner. Yes Scott and Brighton would certainly be a good match.

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can't see Bournemouth spending that kind of money on him. 

Spent about that on the Kyiv lad in January & he’s rarely featured..

Pretty sure they spent circa £50m in total during the January window.

I don’t see him ending up there, still think he’s destined for Wolves myself but all guesswork at present.