IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Trying to work out what we realistically will it can get for Scott tbis summer is quite difficult.

Few on this forum mention Borussia Dortmund.

Alvarez, Ajax midfield- linked for €35m. 6 years older than Scott. About £30.1m. Is 25 and will turn 26 in October.

Nmecha, Wolfsburg also midfield- linked with both Borussia Dortmund and Man United. Is 22 and will turn 23 in October. Seen him suggested at £15m.

Alvarez also linked with West Ham. Palhinha £50-60m a key priority for West Ham- 27 and turns 28 in July. 8 years older than Scott.

Benchmarking with players is very difficult but does this give us any indicator?

Scott btw having just checked is ahead of all of them in terms of first team gametime at their respective ages.

Players in their mid 20s are pretty well at, or hitting their peak.

Alex is 6/7 years from his peak years and given the level at which he currently performs ( even accepting that it's in the championship) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that by his mid 20s he will be some player. If so, that is why clubs will be prepared to pay top dollar for him now.  The only question is whether their top dollar matches ours, but if enough clubs are genuinely interested in signing him then one will be prepared to pay at, or close to, our asking price so as not to miss out on him. 

If not, then by the next time he is available £25m might look like a steal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get that although I wonder, the lack of concrete speculation is interesting, I do worry a bit as to whether he maybe priced out of a move which can happen.

Agreed with most of this although net of sales I wonder how much exactly we can spend. Two years of austerity certainly will have helped, has helped and we definitely don't need to sell (I also believe we may have breached FFP had we not sold Semenyo by end of May but that's another debate).

Feels like this summer would be the optimum time to sell for the biggest price but ideally he stays and develops further here for another year, with an improving side around him thst should also bring more out of him.

He’s just come back from U20 WC, he’s on holiday / back home in Guernsey.  Some deals have lots of speculation, some don’t.  Depends on club (buying and selling), agent, etc.  barely any PL clubs have used their Retained Lists yet.

“Priced out of a move?” - that might be our strategy! ??‍♂️

Chill…just like Alex is doing!!!

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think Bernardo may leave as he's said he wants a new challenge, but I reckon they could (and should) hang on to Gundogan.

He is an excellent player however maybe he feels it’s time to move on as he has won everything.

I have a strong impression that playing for Pep is immensely intense, looking at some articles on him, and there may come a time when a player needs to remove himself from that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Genuinely don't see the past or a fans perspective as relevant. How would he have any inclination of a clubs interest, valuation or where Alex sits on their recruitment priority list/squad depth chart? 

He's done more than Bellingham did at Birmingham. He moved for over £30m after sell ons. 

A fee is dependent on a multitude of factors, none of which are necessarily reflective of market value. 

Potential, home grown, 2 years left on a contract, professionalism (won't go on strike to force a move) the sale of Semenyo and 2 years of austerity meaning we are under no obligation to sell below our valuation will all be factors in driving the price up. Semenyo was the opposite story, diminishing value/contract, promise to let him leave, slowing interest meant we had to accept arguably less than he was "worth" if you were applying value as a stand alone concept (which it absolutely isnt). 

Take two identical players and put them in different scenarios and the fee will be wildly different. Circumstances are the main driver of value. We are in a strong position for once.

And if nobody meets our valuation we have the best young player in the division/country at our disposal for another year. Can't be a bad thing 

I really enjoyed this appraisal of the Alex Situation. Haven't a clue whether you're right mind, but I've decided to believe that you are :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Man City are reportedly close to signing two central midfielders in Kovacic and Veiga, so I doubt they'll be considering any more at the moment.

I doubt he was ever on their radar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I know of at least one very interested club that hasn't been mentioned in the press as of yet. Whether or not a formal bid materialises remains to be seen but more clubs are putting feelers out there for him.

Gut feel with Scott is he stays this summer, I'm not sure people will be willing to pay what we want currently. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays for now but then there be a lot more interest in January. 

The January window is a weird one, but if he's playing well a club may gamble to get him before a 'bidding war' in the summer.

A January move wouldn't make much sense unless the club buying him is elite and wants to guarantee getting him for the long term.  A struggling club is going to struggle to persuade him to join with the possibility of them ending up in the Championship.  IF it is elite then it would also open up the possibility of him remaining here on loan for the rest of the season.  

West Ham and Brighton seem the likeliest to me this summer because they're both in the Europa League and so you'd think he'd get decent gametime.  Both are likely to need to recruit players in his position having got very good fees for players who left.

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

A January move wouldn't make much sense unless the club buying him is elite and wants to guarantee getting him for the long term.  A struggling club is going to struggle to persuade him to join with the possibility of them ending up in the Championship.  IF it is elite then it would also open up the possibility of him remaining here on loan for the rest of the season.  

West Ham and Brighton seem the likeliest to me this summer because they're both in the Europa League and so you'd think he'd get decent gametime.  Both are likely to need to recruit players in his position having got very good fees for players who left.

West Ham- Hard to say how many they'll sign. Palhinha seems to he their top target, but they can sign 2 or 3. Reportedly interested in Alvarez too, Ward-Prowse and Phillips also mentioned. Indeed now Yunus Musah Valencia, 20 year old and £21m. Born November 2002.

Brighton- McAllister gone, Caicedo may well go. Otoh Dahoud and Milner in on trees- will they push the boat out given £30m on Joao Pedro, Reportedly bid £30m and now preparing £40m for Colwill CB- can we see Brighton bidding for 3 players amounts exceeding £20m?? In one summer? It could happen of course but maybe I'm underestimating their ambition this summer. Won't be short of some cash given a 6th place finish, European Revenue and all the transfer profits.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, FabledRobin said:

Small mention of Alex in the Guardian’s ‘top transfer targets’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/13/top-transfer-targets-window-opens-osimhen-simakan

I mean when you look at the players listed in that article, the fact he has even been mentioned is quite something!

Is it a win win with Scott though from our perspective? If he stays we got a hell of a player for another season. If he leaves it will be for a decent fee. Or is it a case of to progress as a club we need to cash in while there is still a decent amount of time left on his contract?

Personally hoping that should be go anywhere, Brighton is the place he ends up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Re. Kalvin Phillips, I am aware he suffered serious injury, but he has gone from being virtually ever-present in Leeds' team, and playing regularly for England, to very much a bit part player for Manchester City.

Ake was an ever present for Bournemouth and I guess playing regularly for Holland? He was very much a bit part player for Man City. They almost sold him in the summer. 

And now, he was one of their most important players whilst winning the treble. 

For some players it takes them a while to settle into the City way of playing and I think the same can be said about Phillips, especially considering he had injury problems too. He appears to be very well liked by his team mates. 

The Man City fans I know are very confident that he'll do an Ake over time. 

27 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I mean when you look at the players listed in that article, the fact he has even been mentioned is quite something!

Is it a win win with Scott though from our perspective? If he stays we got a hell of a player for another season. If he leaves it will be for a decent fee. Or is it a case of to progress as a club we need to cash in while there is still a decent amount of time left on his contract?

Personally hoping that should be go anywhere, Brighton is the place he ends up.

Brighton for me, or a foreign team, (well, dortmund, really!)

20 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Brighton for me, or a foreign team, (well, dortmund, really!)

Borussia Dortmund are currently in for Alvarez and Nmecha. Thst I think would be if they get both, be their midfield business concluded for the summer especially as they don't intend to reinvest much more than 60-65 pct of transfer revenue back into the team.

If they only get one or neither or those, perhaps they do come into the reckoning again.

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ake was an ever present for Bournemouth and I guess playing regularly for Holland? He was very much a bit part player for Man City. They almost sold him in the summer. 

And now, he was one of their most important players whilst winning the treble. 

For some players it takes them a while to settle into the City way of playing and I think the same can be said about Phillips, especially considering he had injury problems too. He appears to be very well liked by his team mates. 

The Man City fans I know are very confident that he'll do an Ake over time. 

One of the commentators was saying on one of their games and Philips . Most of the players Man City buys spend a season in and out of the team gaining experience training the way Pep wants them to play. Stones, Ake and Rodri being a few and also .Grealish was a bit part player last season. 

Nobody has yet met Scott valuation reportedly, albeit FLW is a bit of an aggregator with partial clickbait thrown in.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-bristol-citys-25m-alex-scott-stance-could-encourage-burnley-sheffield-united-or-luton-town-action/

Certain level of scepticism from rival fans as to whether anyone will either. We shall see.

Nixon also suggested that nobody has yet met it, a few days ago. I suppose we would know if a club had however.

All that said the window has only recently opened.

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nobody has yet met Scott valuation reportedly, albeit FLW is a bit of an aggregator with partial clickbait thrown in.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-bristol-citys-25m-alex-scott-stance-could-encourage-burnley-sheffield-united-or-luton-town-action/

Certain level of scepticism from rival fans as to whether anyone will either. We shall see.

Nixon also suggested that nobody has yet met it, a few days ago. I suppose we would know if a club had however.

All that said the window has only recently opened.

For a player that wants to "progress" as we assume Alex Scott does, are those teams really going to be attractive?

In his position I'd be very hesitant about the blades, and actively avoid Luton.

Possibly he'd consider Burnley? - Famous, well known manager, ripped up the championship last season, and with the right signings they could be another Brighton/Brentford and build for a few seasons.

When the time comes (maybe later this summer) surely he'd have better offers?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cityal said:

For a player that wants to "progress" as we assume Alex Scott does, are those teams really going to be attractive?

In his position I'd be very hesitant about the blades, and actively avoid Luton.

Possibly he'd consider Burnley? - Famous, well known manager, ripped up the championship last season, and with the right signings they could be another Brighton/Brentford and build for a few seasons.

When the time comes (maybe later this summer) surely he'd have better offers?

Oh I agree on the club part, my angle is more what will be offered. Burnley maybe the only okay one of the 3 

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW Nixon is one of the journos I rarely take any notice of.  He rarely breaks news, he is vague on lots of stuff and very little sticks.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Varies with Nixon. Seems better for clubs up North and Midlands way.

I had it put to me, by someone who would know, that he's quite pally with some Northern (particularly North West) based agents and managers and gets most of his stuff from them. So there'll be some things that he's pretty clued up on, whereas other things he'll know about as much as most of us on here but that doesn't stop him running things and speculating, and he's got quite an audience for it now through Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1