IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

This came up on my Facebook this morning. Came up as a page suggestion for me called AFCBournemouthfans or something along those lines with a huge picture of Scott on it.

? Bournemouth eyeing up move for £25 million-rated Bristol City man. 

Following a fantastic 2022-23 Championship season, the stock of midfielder Alex Scott is at an all-time high - and that means Bristol City supporters should probably expect the club to cash in on him this summer.

The Guernsey maestro has had a remarkable rise in the last two years and he's had interest from top flight clubs for as long as that, but never as much as he has this summer.

Bournemouth look ready to splash the cash and according to the Daily Mail, they have lined Scott up as a target.

The Cherries are no stranger to raiding Ashton Gate for talents having taken Ghana international forward Antoine Semenyo in the January window, and they have made Scott a real player of interest this summer.

Bournemouth were taken over by American businessman Bill Foley back in December and he invested into the squad in the mid-season transfer window, which ended up keeping them in the top flight.

They currently see £25 million as too much though for Scott, and they aren't the only club to feel that way with West Ham United and Wolves also not wanting to sign the teenager for that price.

No idea if it's a source to be trusted, or whether it's just their equivalent of our Bristol City Till I Die page. Thought I'd add to the pile though....

Edited by Taz
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Taz said:

This came up on my Facebook this morning. Came up as a page suggestion for me called AFCBournemouthfans or something along those lines with a huge picture of Scott on it.

Following a fantastic 2022-23 Championship season, the stock of midfielder Alex Scott is at an all-time high - and that means Bristol City supporters should probably expect the club to cash in on him this summer.

The Guernsey maestro has had a remarkable rise in the last two years and he's had interest from top flight clubs for as long as that, but never as much as he has this summer.

Bournemouth look ready to splash the cash and according to the Daily Mail, they have lined Scott up as a target.

The Cherries are no stranger to raiding Ashton Gate for talents having taken Ghana international forward Antoine Semenyo in the January window, and they have made Scott a real player of interest this summer.

Bournemouth were taken over by American businessman Bill Foley back in December and he invested into the squad in the mid-season transfer window, which ended up keeping them in the top flight.

They currently see £25 million as too much though for Scott, and they aren't the only club to feel that way with West Ham United and Wolves also not wanting to sign the teenager for that price.

No idea if it's a source to be trusted, or whether it's just their equivalent of our Bristol City Till I Die page. Thought I'd add to the pile though....

Was this the Daily Mail "piece" from earlier in the week?

On 16/06/2023 at 19:48, chinapig said:

Brighton have also signed Milner and, today, Dahoud, so they are not short of midfielders.

Brighton have sold Mac Allister & fully expect to lose Caicedo.

They have qualified for Europe for the first ever time & will need a squad at least 4 players larger than last season’s as a result.

Milner is 37 now & likely to be used as a right sided squad player, possibly at RB. Gross filled in there but he’s much better further forward.

Whether they sign Scott or not (& I would not be at all surprised) they still need another midfielder, or 2 when Caicedo goes.

• Like 2

I get why clubs are balking at the price. Suits us because I really feel this is a strong side at the minute with keeping everyone. I am not worried about losing value. Selling next summer for 10-15m is just a useful being another year away from covid loses(ok maybe not just as useful but still pretty good). 

The only thing to worry about is our scope to continue to add this summer without the sale of Scott. Also, the ability to offer new contracts to some like Pring, Vyner and perhaps a good performer or two during the season. 

• Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brighton have sold Mac Allister & fully expect to lose Caicedo.

They have qualified for Europe for the first ever time & will need a squad at least 4 players larger than last season’s as a result.

Milner is 37 now & likely to be used as a right sided squad player, possibly at RB. Gross filled in there but he’s much better further forward.

Whether they sign Scott or not (& I would not be at all surprised) they still need another midfielder, or 2 when Caicedo goes.

You need to add Buonanotte and Gilmour who both broke through latterly and as you say, Gross. I'm discounting Lallana though.

Agreed Milner is there for his European experience though with Dr Zerbi who knows where he will play?!

As to Caicedo, they are said to want £100m for him so Arsenal have already dropped out of the the running. Possibly Chelsea might get close to their valuation though UEFA has now limited the length of contracts to stop clubs agreeing 7 or 8 year deals for FFP purposes, which gives them a problem. Unless Brighton significantly reduce their price there could be an impasse.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

If they see £25m as too much then he won’t be going there unless they want to trade a player that we would want to balance the deal 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, INCRED said:

If they see £25m as too much then he won’t be going there unless they want to trade a player that we would want to balance the deal 

I think everyone so far sees £25m as excessive, in terms of bidding clubs.

Dean Jones suggests this although he also suggests that when the first bid by someone goes in a scramble could ensue.

I suppose some of the PL clubs maybe thinking if Scott gets the perception that he is priced out of a move as the summer wears on then he may throw his toys out and they can come and low ball a bit, come in a bit lower. Levy in particular has form for low ball offers.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully we will either see him stay and continue to flourish or if he goes it will be for the bid we and he deserve.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taz said:

I’m quite happy if clubs see £25m as too high.  I’d suggest we are pricing him because we want to keep him…and that’s what we should be doing.  If someone wants to go high, then fine.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get why clubs are balking at the price. Suits us because I really feel this is a strong side at the minute with keeping everyone. I am not worried about losing value. Selling next summer for 10-15m is just a useful being another year away from covid loses(ok maybe not just as useful but still pretty good). 

The only thing to worry about is our scope to continue to add this summer without the sale of Scott. Also, the ability to offer new contracts to some like Pring, Vyner and perhaps a good performer or two during the season. 

First bit I agree with.  Second bit - £10-15m is just as useful - I don’t.  The reason why is I don’t think he stays this summer without extending his term.  Plus I’m sure the contract offer on the table does exactly that as well as increases Alex’s salary.

I think there is still a bit in the pot too, plus likely we might lose someone like Wilson for a few quid too.

As it stands I don’t think we need much more than Jason Knight.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m quite happy if clubs see £25m as too high.  I’d suggest we are pricing him because we want to keep him…and that’s what we should be doing.  If someone wants to go high, then fine.

First bit I agree with.  Second bit - £10-15m is just as useful - I don’t.  The reason why is I don’t think he stays this summer without extending his term.  Plus I’m sure the contract offer on the table does exactly that as well as increases Alex’s salary.

I think there is still a bit in the pot too, plus likely we might lose someone like Wilson for a few quid too.

Agreed. 

Some seem to think no matter then Scott situation we were going to spend 10s of millions to get playoffs because the books are finally balanced (ish). Which is just stupid.

Think if we are keeping Alex then just Jason Knight is fine. Some think we need a striker but with Conway and wells who both put up decent numbers last season and Weimman who got 20+ the season before I don’t think it’s necessary.

The only other thing I would like is a keeper, as much as I like max I think he needs some serious 1st team competition which I don’t see either HWR or Bajic giving.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reportedly Southampton have set a price tag of £15m on Tella.

Does this give any indicator of where the market is at? If Tella worth £15m what is Scott worth. (Burnley aren't sure). Then again Southampton freshly relegated may have a more pressing need for sales than us.

Perhaps more importantly for us and Burnley what's Massengo worth. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Does this give any indicator of where the market is at? If Tella worth £15m what is Scott worth. (Burnley aren't sure). Then again Southampton freshly relegated may have a more pressing need for sales than us.

I don’t think you can compare . There’s lots  of differentials to take into account. The club has said we want £25m. If it was me , then you either come up with that one way or another or we keep him . 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did say after not as useful. Just don’t think we’ll be pushing out the FFP boat either way. Even if we are say under the 39m allowance by 15m I don’t think it means we’ll just go for it. So why sell a year early just because we get a few more quid? That is my opinion on it anyway. 

I also don’t think it makes much sense for Alex Scott to sign a new deal if he does not leave this summer. Yes a risk from an injury standpoint but I can’t remember many of his reputation signing new deals making a future deal harder. Maybe Caicedo with a gentleman's agreement to let him leave this summer but still looks like they could be pricing him out of a move.

Not sure how common release clauses are in the championship. Realistically, if he did extend with a release clause, surely his agent wouldn’t agree to 20m or more. I personally think it would be risky for the player to have much higher than 15m. He is almost guaranteed a move in the next 12-13 months. No one is meeting that price at the min. More unlikely in January imo with strikers more the priority in that window. So means he stays for a year and next summer would be looking at a more affordable 10-15m imo. I just don’t see him signing something new if he does not leave. 

Jason Knight and it looks really strong. I know we don’t like collecting players and have a few forwards. I’d like to see one more different than what we have. Wells, Conway and Cornick similar for me as central forwards. None really big but good at passes to feet and holding. So maybe a bigger centre forward. Then on wide options have good players but maybe someone with just pure pace that can keep high lines on their toes. Either option maybe and think we’d be complete. Can see us maybe running out of ideas at times in forward positions.

25 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Perhaps more importantly for us and Burnley what's Massengo worth. 

Perhaps it's a pointless exercise but am trying to work out our desired fee vs where the market is at.

Massengo currently linked with a move back to Monaco but Burnley or an English club, would it go to a tribunal?

25 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t think you can compare . There’s lots  of differentials to take into account. The club has said we want £25m. If it was me , then you either come up with that one way or another or we keep him . 

Fair. Suppose the key thing for us is that unlike say Semenyo in January we don't strictly speaking need to sell. If we suddenly go on a spending spree that may change but beyond that.

Yeah £25m seems a reasonable price and we shouldn't be accepting less.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps it's a pointless exercise but am trying to work out our desired fee vs where the market is at.

Massengo currently linked with a move back to Monaco but Burnley or an English club, would it go to a tribunal?

Fair. Suppose the key thing for us is that unlike say Semenyo in January we don't strictly speaking need to sell. If we suddenly go on a spending spree that may change but beyond that.

Yeah £25m seems a reasonable price and we shouldn't be accepting less.

Stays in England - PFCC “Trubunal”, assuming clubs don’t agree a price.

Goes abroad (inc Scotland) - fixed formula based on FIFA RSTP - €360k (4 years at €90k p.y)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Every transfer is unique so the fact that player A is sold for £15m doesn't mean that a similar player B will fetch an identical price.

There are too many variables for that simple comparison to apply.

• Like 1

That is a bit of a coup for Saudi Arabia.

So far it has been top players but the wrong side of 30. Neves is how old, 26? Porto's youngest ever captain too, in and around the Portugal squad.

I will try and work out the profit on disposal. £47m minus remaining Book Value. Neves did sign an extension at some point.

Probably £43-45m profit on disposal minus any potential sell-on to Porto of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Wolves have agreed a 55m euro (£47m) deal to sell captain Ruben Neves to Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal.

Alex’s potential move perhaps about to enter the centre-stage phase. 

Great money for Wolves there.

Seems like the Saudi clubs are going to start paying the high transfer fees, as well as the high wages now. Not too dissimilar to the Chinese clubs from 5-10 years ago (Oscar for £67m still makes me laugh).

On 13/06/2023 at 07:31, GrahamC said:

They do need to sell, but Ruben Neves would probably cover that on his own.

Lopetegui said in his recent conversation with their board that he accepts the FFP situation is difficult so wants to sign “young, Championship players” fairly obvious who he has in mind.

This was always going to be the way Wolves solved their FFP problems.

I think Scott is very high up their list of targets, Lopetegui’s description above of the type of player he was interested in is an exact fit.

No way will we drop the asking price to £15m & I can’t see any likely Wolves players who they would want to shift that we could also afford & would want to make up any shortfall.

Their move, I think.

• Flames 1