IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not a great believer that bidding wars really materialise, it’s not like an auction.

At some point a club or multiple clubs will meet the required fee, and it really then becomes about who Alex wants to join.

The money would be great for BCFC but imo what club Alex wants to join is more important.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Maybe but I'd be amazed if they didn't make some sort of offer.

In which case, if we turn it down there's a danger of the player saying - you didn't let me go in January but I'd like my move to the Prem now please.

And we get into a stand off or, at the very least, have an unhappy player in the building. 

I'm not suggesting we'll accept any old offer but all this talk of 25 million is nonsense - that's our opening gambit in the inevitable negotiations we'll be having with one or more clubs. We've gone high. The buying club will go low. And a deal is struck somewhere in between. But it won't be 25M, imo. 

If Wolves offer 15M, I think we'll do a deal - with add-ons increasing that to a bit more further down the line. 

That allows us to crack on with the recruitment we've been waiting several windows for. 

Special talents like Alex Scott are one in a million. I genuinely believe a lot of fans just don't understand what a wonderfully gifted and well balanced player he is. Fans say £15M here or we'll take £20M there like it's some sort of fire sale. All this while MacAlister goes for £35M, Jauo Pedro £30M and all this with the backdrop of £89M Jude Bellingham going on. I realise we are a second tier team and Alex Scott is not a full international yet but it is not inconceivable that he could land up with Bellingham in the heart of England's midfield at the next World Cup.

He is that good.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

Special talents like Alex Scott are one in a million. I genuinely believe a lot of fans just don't understand what a wonderfully gifted and well balanced player he is. Fans say £15M here or we'll take £20M there like it's some sort of fire sale. All this while MacAlister goes for £35M, Jauo Pedro £30M and all this with the backdrop of £89M Jude Bellingham going on. I realise we are a second tier team and Alex Scott is not a full international yet but it is not inconceivable that he could land up with Bellingham in the heart of England's midfield at the next World Cup.

He is that good.

While I don't disagree, will other clubs make the bid of that size. Is the $m question. My overall feeling is yes but there is noise in reports etc of clubs being unsure about the fee.

I believe he's worth it, the majority on here believe he is worth it, host of other fans of other clubs, some do and some don't.

The problem is depending on club the pressure for results yesterday. Will that make some play it safer for a £20m player in CM from a PL club or European League

What size bids do you think we'll get this summer?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

We have to remember it is still very early in the window. Clearly if he is going to leave then the earlier the better but, it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be quite the opposite.

We might get the fee we want but have little time to utilize what element of it is available to spend. 

The danger is that a club comes in late in August and agrees to say £25m , Alex wants to go there and we are in a race against time with some targets already gone and the remaining ones suddenly more expensive.

Its going to potentially be a long summer.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We have to remember it is still very early in the window. Clearly if he is going to leave then the earlier the better but, it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be quite the opposite.

We might get the fee we want but have little time to utilize what element of it is available to spend. 

The danger is that a club comes in late in August and agrees to say £25m , Alex wants to go there and we are in a race against time with some targets already gone and the remaining ones suddenly more expensive.

Its going to potentially be a long summer.

I think we’ll be done before we sell Alex / announce Alex as sold.

I think part of the lack of noise is because discussions aren’t being played out through the media.  That’s not to say he’s definitely going, just think we’ve seen with Semenyo, Bournemouth conducted the deal through the media, Palace didn’t, and the club called out Bournemouth / agents for doing so.

I don’t think Alex would want to wait a few weeks into a season before going, he’d want go beforehand.  He was still on hols last week, so maybe stuff will start to happen now?

• Like 1

From what I’ve heard, which tbf isn’t 100% reputable, Scott will 100% get a bid of £25m. It’s not clubs saying for £25m is he worth that? It’s clearly their managers/directors of football saying should we sign this youngster for £25m who will be good but not as good as we need right away. Or another player for 35-40 who will most likely come straight into the team to do a job. 

Adding to that the amount of quality midfielders moving this window is a little mad, most teams are looking for their 1st name on team sheet midfielder which Alex won’t be straight away for most prem clubs. 

Once those deals have been sorted, the teams with money to spend will come in for him. 100%.

Edited by George Rs
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, George Rs said:

From what I’ve heard, which tbf isn’t 100% reputable, Scott will 100% get a bid of £25m. It’s not clubs saying for £25m is he worth that? It’s clearly their managers/directors of football saying should we sign this youngster for £25m who will be good but not as good as we need right away. Or another player for 35-40 who will most likely come straight into the team to do a job. 

Adding to that the amount of quality midfielders moving this window is a little mad, most teams are looking for their 1st name on team sheet midfielder which Alex won’t be straight away for most prem clubs. 

Once those deals have been sorted, the teams with money to spend will come in for him. 100%.

We will 100% get a £25mil bid...coming from the not 100% reputable source ???

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Alex would want to wait a few weeks into a season before going, he’d want go beforehand.  He was still on hols last week, so maybe stuff will start to happen now?

I don't know what all the panic is about. 

Whilst our season finished ages ago, Alex's season has just finished. The premier league season has just finished. I don't know if Man City will come in for him but there season has just finished. Even if they don't come in for him, as the top club what they do in the market has a domino effect. 

The transfer market has barely woken up from its winter shutdown and people are panicking.

It is my firm belief that we will achieve our target for Alex, possibly even more if a number of clubs bid against each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Once we get one bid, the rest will follow - sense the first team to lodge an offer will be Wolves 

Agree with that, especially as they’re set to sell Neves to Saudi Arabia for £47m imminently. I can see Wolves trying to steal a march. Fingers crossed it kicks off a bidding war. 

6 hours ago, George Rs said:

60% of the time, it works everytime 

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

I think it's fair to say we could never replace his current potential, for a club like us players like him don't appear very often at all.

But now, him as the player he is right now, we could replace him in certain aspects like goals and assists, his ability on the ball though is unlikely. But whoever we replace him with is unlikely to be quite as good and will almost certainly not have the career Scott is going to have.

• Like 1

Man City link seems fanciful at this stage. If both Gundogan and Phillips go then yes that leaves a vacancy again squad wise. They are set to add Kovacic as it stands

That potential but unlikely at this juncture move aside, might it be the case that as clubs move through the chain that Scott steadily rises.

ie West Ham have so far been linked with Alvarez, Gallagher, Palhinha, Phillips and Ward-Prowse. You'd think they would want two of those, but if they only get one Scott gets bumped up.

Brighton are no longer interested in Gallagher as per one report, this means Scott perhaps comes into consideration more.

Etc.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One more thing, will Bournemouth sacking O'Neil impact their interest in Scott?

I don't really know how it works there, manager, sporting director, recruitment model.

A quote from the two Bournemouth announcements gives an idea of whether the head coach/manager calls the shots...

AFC Bournemouth owner and chairman Bill Foley explained: "We have also identified a number of significant targets in the transfer market this summer" (https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/club-statement-gary-o-neil/)

AFC Bournemouth owner and chairman Bill Foley said "We have identified a number of targets in the transfer market, which along with our January additions will supplement our strong playing squad" (https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/andoni-iraola-appointed-afc-bournemouth-head-coach/)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Man City link seems fanciful at this stage. If both Gundogan and Phillips go then yes that leaves a vacancy again squad wise. They are set to add Kovacic as it stands

That potential but unlikely at this juncture move aside, might it be the case that as clubs move through the chain that Scott steadily rises.

ie West Ham have so far been linked with Alvarez, Gallagher, Palhinha, Phillips and Ward-Prowse. You'd think they would want two of those, but if they only get one Scott gets bumped up.

Brighton are no longer interested in Gallagher as per one report, this means Scott perhaps comes into consideration more.

Etc.

Bernardo Silva also rumoured to leave as well. And KDB is in his thirties. If we kept him this window and he performed as well/better then he has so far I could easily see Man City coming in for him next season. Think they have to many proven first team players to replace for him to be a priority rn tho.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Bernardo Silva also rumoured to leave as well. And KDB is in his thirties. If we kept him this window and he performed as well/better then he has so far I could easily see Man City coming in for him next season. Think they have to many proven first team players to replace for him to be a priority rn tho.

Unfortunately this is the worst possible scenario.

1. Next summer, he will have 12 months left on his contract. 

2. Value will decline due to contract length.

3. Top 4 team offers no re-sell value in regards to ‘sell on %’.

If he leaves this summer, it’s with our best wishes and a hefty fee to match. 

Otherwise, the best we can hope for is he renews his contract for a further 12 months, with a fixed release clause fee (£25m etc).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Agree this is true all other things being equal, but if AS kicks on still further and is critical to (eg) reaching the play offs, the contract length reduction in value could be offset by him being more highly sought after, plus we’d have had him for the season and reached the playoffs. All ifs, buts and maybes, but would definitely dig in heels for a decent price now (and hope/trust we’ve had that conversation with him/his representatives).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Otherwise, the best we can hope for is he renews his contract for a further 12 months, with a fixed release clause fee (£25m etc).

I assume if we don’t sell, he will sign a new contract with this kind of clause.

Edited by George Rs

It seems to me that the only people concerned about the Scott situation are those who post on this forum. Both the Club and Scott himself remain non-plussed and very much in control. Even if we receive a formal bid of £25M it's not a formality that he leaves as it represents the baseline figure, not necessarily the selling price. We don't need to sell and if the wrong club bids Scott might not fancy it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Unfortunately this is the worst possible scenario.

1. Next summer, he will have 12 months left on his contract. 

3. Top 4 team offers no re-sell value in regards to ‘sell on %’.

If he leaves this summer, it’s with our best wishes and a hefty fee to match. 

That would be the decent thing for him to do but his agent might not be thinking in the same way