IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Great player but his lack of goals and assists is a factor I am sure for some who prefer stats. Beliieve there is a good chance he will be here for another season which will further boost his value,  and who knows we might just fluke the play offs.

Not a chance he’ll be here in August. Too many rumours swirling already.

• Like 1

Intersting if true about Inter. Perhaps there was something in that tweet from yesterday about his agent trying to place him at top European clubs. If the interest from Inter is genuine then there must be plenty of others in Europe that are aware of him.

It's only going to take 1 opening bid i think to see a few more come out of the woodwork who have not been named in rumours yet.

Let the bidding war commence!

6 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Great player but his lack of goals and assists is a factor I am sure for some who prefer stats. Beliieve there is a good chance he will be here for another season which will further boost his value,  and who knows we might just fluke the play offs.

No professional scouting department will be put off by lack of goals and assists.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Why would we sell him for less just because it’s Inter? Doesn’t make sense to me

We wouldn't.

I suppose the downside risk is if the players head gets turned, he is discontented, unhappy etc.

Not the easiest sell to keep him at his top level, even if distraction rather than disruption if we turn down a bid from a higher ranked club.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Intersting if true about Inter. Perhaps there was something in that tweet from yesterday about his agent trying to place him at top European clubs. If the interest from Inter is genuine then there must be plenty of others in Europe that are aware of him.

It's only going to take 1 opening bid i think to see a few more come out of the woodwork who have not been named in rumours yet.

Let the bidding war commence!

Very interesting if what was reported about his agent is true. Indicates they feel he can step right into the top of the game already, not needing the West Ham/wolves stepping stone which it would clearly be.

To be fair if he goes to a team in Europe and plays as good as he has for us, that’s when teams will start showing that ridiculous money for him. 

Personally, would prefer for him to stay in England as it’ll be easy to track his career, but as long as a club meets our valuation I think he’s good enough to perform anywhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Very interesting if what was reported about his agent is true. Indicates they feel he can step right into the top of the game already, not needing the West Ham/wolves stepping stone which it would clearly be.

To be fair if he goes to a team in Europe and plays as good as he has for us, that’s when teams will start showing that ridiculous money for him. 

Personally, would prefer for him to stay in England as it’ll be easy to track his career, but as long as a club meets our valuation I think he’s good enough to perform anywhere.

You'd expect a bit of selling up from his agent but perhaps we underestimate how the footballing world views him or even how he views himself.

Hopefully he gets the right move for him in the end and we get a fair deal. I'll certainly be watching him wherever he ends up.

Exciting times for all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

An assist is recorded only if a player scores. So a fantastic through ball that a player hits over the bar doesn't count.

If you want a meaningful stat, Scott provided 38 chances last season (42 from some sources) - not his fault they weren't assists.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, bcfc01 said:

An assist is recorded only if a player scores. So a fantastic through ball that a player hits over the bar doesn't count.

If you want a meaningful stat, Scott provided 38 chances last season - not his fault they weren't assists.

Yes we know what he is, but I am afraid his stats do no reflect this. 

9 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Of course they will when assuming a bid, if he had scored 15 goals and 20 assists they would not bulk a £25m for a 19 year old.

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Of course they will when assuming a bid, if he had scored 15 goals and 20 assists they would not bulk a £25 for a 19 year old.

Understand where you're coming from but that's not really his game is it?

This is a better reflection of what he's about...

skysports-graphic-bristol-city_6195023.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Gazred said:

You'd expect a bit of selling up from his agent but perhaps we underestimate how the footballing world views him or even how he views himself.

Hopefully he gets the right move for him in the end and we get a fair deal. I'll certainly be watching him wherever he ends up.

Exciting times for all.

Will be like watching C4 Italian Football all over again, like when Gazza and Des Walker moved over there, then Platt, etc.  10am James Richardson, 11am Kabaddi!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Understand where you're coming from but that's not really his game is it?

This is a better reflection of what he's about...

skysports-graphic-bristol-city_6195023.png

Thanks.

This is Alex’s chart:

image.thumb.png.fa78d837f39f40c8a0726fbbb7ec0055.png

it’s what he does on the ball / his technical stuff that is what other clubs are noticing, the ability to manoeuvre the ball to do the next action, or get fouled.  He does all the other things pretty well too, passing is fine, he wins the ball back, etc, etc.

If the professional focus was on goals and assists, he wouldn’t have everyone clamouring for his signature.  It’s that clamour that drives up the price, and they can see he has huge upside when you put him in with better players than his current teammates (no offence to City players).

You can’t coach those technical skill sets into someone at 19/20, not to Alex’s level anyway.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If you want a meaningful stat, Scott provided 38 chances last season (42 from some sources) - not his fault they weren't assists.

Ranked 58th in the division If we use this metric, but then again for age, experience, position, strength and style of the side he will be well above 58th I expect once weighted for that.

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/48/stats/season/17834/players/total_att_assist

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can we also not call Alex Scott a DM as in Defensive Midfielder.  He is not that at all.

He might be a DM as in deep midfielder.

I’d rather we just called him a “midfielder” because he can play many roles.

Agreed, actually think he impacts the game far more from deeper but he isn't a traditional destructive DM although he can put a tackle in when needed.

In truth for his ability he should be getting more goals and assists regardless of where he plays in the midfield either as an 8 or a 10, but that will undoubtedly come as he develops further as it has for someone like Bellingham in his 3rd season as a senior at Dortmund.

• Like 1

Scott to Inter, eh? ?

I' d be surprised if there was some truth in it: despite all the money gained in Champions League rounds, it seems that Suning won't spend much during this transfer window, and if one midfielder will go away (Brozovic seems the more likely to be sold), I guess the replacement would be another expert player/a player who already knows the league and would cost less (ex: money + fringe/young Inter players instead of money alone).

That being said, you never know... Surely it would be a prestigious but also brave move for him.

Stats are a great tool for footbal recruitment teams but they don't tell the full story. Having a scout watching in a few times give a small insight into his character his determination and his attitude especially when things aren't going his teams way.

As for the goals and assists a scout can recognise his contribution to the build up, sort of assisting the assist, did his vision start the move that resulted in a goal. If his goals and assist stats were high eg 10 goals 10 assists would £25M be a little low. At 19 years of age he has so much room to improve and should he go abroad with better coaching and less media attention who knows how good he could become.

• Like 1

If it was just down to the stats then you would not need scouts or a recruitment team, you just go and buy the top of the charts. In reality the stats are affected by the team they play with, so its what the contribution is within the game and winning personnel duels, can the player be improved, attitude and many other factors.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, numbeast said:

Stats are a great tool for footbal recruitment teams but they don't tell the full story. Having a scout watching in a few times give a small insight into his character his determination and his attitude especially when things aren't going his teams way.

As for the goals and assists a scout can recognise his contribution to the build up, sort of assisting the assist, did his vision start the move that resulted in a goal. If his goals and assist stats were high eg 10 goals 10 assists would £25M be a little low. At 19 years of age he has so much room to improve and should he go abroad with better coaching and less media attention who knows how good he could become.

I agree with this except perhaps for the media attention. If he went to Italy he wouldn't get less media attention and would certainly have to get used to supporter close scrutiny and no private life. Not sure he drives but one bad game over there and you're looking for a new set of wheels. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

25 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Agreed, actually think he impacts the game far more from deeper but he isn't a traditional destructive DM although he can put a tackle in when needed.

In truth for his ability he should be getting more goals and assists regardless of where he plays in the midfield either as an 8 or a 10, but that will undoubtedly come as he develops further as it has for someone like Bellingham in his 3rd season as a senior at Dortmund.

I think for City he impacts the game from deeper, because when he plays further forward, he hasn’t got Alex Scott to pass him the ball! ???

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If it was just down to the stats then you would not need scouts or a recruitment team, you just go and buy the top of the charts. In reality the stats are affected by the team they play with, so it’s what the contribution is within the game and winning personnel duels, can the player be improved, attitude and many other factors.

you may or may not have noticed that I’ve added team playing style to my charts!

image.png.d0a69e6deb08dd92c46424959c8bfec6.png

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If it was just down to the stats then you would not need scouts or a recruitment team, you just go and buy the top of the charts. In reality the stats are affected by the team they play with, so its what the contribution is within the game and winning personnel duels, can the player be improved, attitude and many other factors.

Stats without context are meaningless. You could be 1 v 1 and square it to a team mate for an open goal. That’s an assist. You could also beat three players from the edge of your own box, play a perfect 45 yard pass and the forward balloons the ball into the car park. Only one of those requires insane technical ability and it’s not the one that ends up with the “stat”. I reckon the analysts use a bit more nuance and nous than the Twitter mob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Will be like watching C4 Italian Football all over again, like when Gazza and Des Walker moved over there, then Platt, etc.  10am James Richardson, 11am Kabaddi!!!

I have mentioned the exact same to quite a few friends over the years and they can’t remember Kabaddi. What a game!! 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1