IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

And you will say the same about Conway next year, and probably said the same about Semenyo last.

Semenyo we had an FFP issue.

I strongly believe that we would have failed last season had he not been sold. Maybe by £8-9m, which is a decent sized points deduction, 5 or 6 points once we get one back for the third year of loss being lower than the prior one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Danny Ings is the most high profile PFCC compo.

image.thumb.png.151058dc1de4d068105fdc28ad4ef879.png

Assuming that he’s had two improving seasons (he should do, he’s only 19), and clubs courting him might include the top 6 clubs, then I’d expect Ings record to be broken.

A fee like that after two more seasons would be having our cake and eating it too. Of course AS may not want that but I think shows why we are driving such a hard bargain and expect we would next summer still. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Danny Ings is the most high profile PFCC compo.

image.thumb.png.151058dc1de4d068105fdc28ad4ef879.png

Assuming that he’s had two improving seasons (he should do, he’s only 19), and clubs courting him might include the top 6 clubs, then I’d expect Ings record to be broken.

A fee like that after two more seasons would be having our cake and eating it too. Of course AS may not want that but I think shows why we are driving such a hard bargain and expect we would next summer still. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Semenyo we had an FFP issue.

I strongly believe that we would have failed last season had he not been sold. Maybe by £8-9m, which is a decent sized points deduction, 5 or 6 points once we get one back for the third year of loss being lower than the prior one.

No way we were that tight.  If that was the case, 1) we wouldn’t have spent in January (Cornick and Mehmeti) nor 2) mutually terminated Klose and Martin, costing us money.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep, think there’s a view out there that he goes for nothing in summer ‘25.  That just isn’t the case!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, P'head Red said:

Is it just me, or is Ayman not in any of the videos from the Austria trip? Hopefully it's just a case of his training program, and not another set back

Perhaps with how hard they intended to push the players in Austria it was deemed best for Ayman to not go, we've seen him in some light group sessions in videos and the SDS test is mostly straight line running without too much pressure on tight twists/turns etc 

On Brighton for Scott, perhaps they feel they want to prioritise trying for Levi Colwill and won't have the money for Scott after that.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No way we were that tight.  If that was the case, 1) we wouldn’t have spent in January (Cornick and Mehmeti) nor 2) mutually terminated Klose and Martin, costing us money.

Hard to say, the Semenyo sale steered us clear maybe. I'm basing it on in part when EA suggested losses were £12-13m last year and trying to work backwards to look at how it seems minus Semenyo sale. Maybe not that tight hut still a reasonable chance we fail if no Semenyo sale.

Perhaps a lot depends on how large our Covid allocated add-backs in 2021-22 were..I'm basing my approximations on the £39m, £7m per year in usual FFP and £5m, £5m and £2.5m for Covid.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to say, the Semenyo sale steered us clear maybe. I'm basing it on in part when EA suggested losses were £12-13m last year and trying to work backwards to look at how it seems minus Semenyo sale. Maybe not that tight hut still a reasonable chance we fail if no Semenyo sale.

Perhaps a lot depends on how large our Covid allocated add-backs in 2021-22 were..I'm basing my approximations on the £39m, £7m per year in usual FFP and £5m, £5m and £2.5m for Covid.

But we know that City and several other clubs submitted the necessary “stuff” to exempt more than the non-evidence required £5m, £5m and £2.5m allowances for Covid.  It’s pointless basing it on those amounts.  We will never know what the amounts were.

I agree that we used the Semenyo sale, if only to show we weren’t taking the piss…had it been tight.  But essentially the Semenyo sale was about getting ahead of the rest recruitment wise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But we know that City and several other clubs submitted the necessary “stuff” to exempt more than the non-evidence required £5m, £5m and £2.5m allowances for Covid.  It’s pointless basing it on those amounts.  We will never know what the amounts were.

I agree that we used the Semenyo sale, if only to show we weren’t taking the piss…had it been tight.  But essentially the Semenyo sale was about getting ahead of the rest recruitment wise.

True we will never know but I do think had we done that and retained Semenyo we may have exceeded £39m or been referred anyway and disputed, possibly likewise Stoke with Souttar. Don't think we could sign anyone for fees until someone departed in January, future monitoring requirements etc.

I agree out losses exceeded £5m and £5m in those 2 years, easily evidenced through Gate Receipts, Commercial etc.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True we will never know but I do think had we done that and retained Semenyo we may have exceeded £39m or been referred anyway and disputed, possibly likewise Stoke with Souttar. Don't think we could sign anyone for fees until someone departed in January, future monitoring requirements etc.

Yes, but that’s very different to saying we got £10m for Semenyo because we’d have broken FFP by £8-9m, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, but that’s very different to saying we got £10m for Semenyo because we’d have broken FFP by £8-9m, though.

True true I was taking a simplistic calculation I guess. The amount I guessed is quite wrong but I suspect we may have been referred had we Not sold Semenyo albeit for less than the number stated.

47 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Some guy from Southampton aged 19 according to BBC is going somewhere for 50 mill, obviously twice as good as AS !

Played very well in the Premier League vs playing very well in the championship, going to be a sizeable difference in fee.

Christ there is some utter bullshit written on these blogs. 

If any meeting had taken place between WHU and Alex Scott “and his representatives” it certainly wasn’t this week. Has there been a moment when this could have happened? Yes,maybe, between the U20s and Scott’s return to the HPC, but unless the club were aware it simply wouldn’t have happened. 

Yes players and their representatives do sometimes meet clubs while negotiations are ongoing but Scott is 19 the thought there was a meeting that had a result anything like what the fat bloke says is completely unrealistic. 

The only thing I think about any of the hype is SL doesn’t want to sell and the idea of this constant theme that Bristol City are asking to much is designed to unsettle the kid. 

Edited by REDOXO

27 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Christ there is some utter bullshit written on these blogs. 

If any meeting had taken place between WHU and Alex Scott “and his representatives” it certainly wasn’t this week. Has there been a moment when this could have happened? Yes,maybe, between the U20s and Scott’s return to the HPC, but unless the club were aware it simply wouldn’t have happened. 

Yes players and their representatives do sometimes meet clubs while negotiations are ongoing but Scott is 19 the thought there was a meeting that had a result anything like what the fat bloke says is completely unrealistic. 

The only thing I think about any of the hype is SL doesn’t want to sell and the idea of this constant theme that Bristol City are asking to much is designed to unsettle the kid. 

It could have easily have been a zoom call, rather than in person. 

You can't believe that SL doesn't want to sell? For the last couple of months it's been very clear we are trying to sell him. Both Pearson and Lansdown and Alexander all saying we want 25 million in the media. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You can't believe that SL doesn't want to sell? For the last couple of months it's been very clear we are trying to sell him. Both Pearson and Lansdown and Alexander all saying we want 25 million in the media. 

Setting a valuation is completely different to trying to sell him,

If we were trying to sell him we'd put him on the transfer list

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Well you'd not put a player on the transfer list as that would likely reduce the value. 

Putting together all the mentions about selling him and what we value him at, it's very clear we want to sell this summer because this summer we can achieve maximum value. 

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

A zoom call! Yes of course. :laugh:! It doesn’t change a thing even if YOU  believe it. The time was limited and the football club (Bristol City) would have had to approve it. Unlikely with an 19 year old under any circumstance unless an agreement was close/imminent.

I absolutely believe (the club board and manager) doesnt want to sell hence the 25m price tag that no one it appears has got in the ball park for. Pearson has stated he expected/expects the player to be here next season (I guess unless 25m is met) and Mr Lansdown has stated he doesn’t want to or have to sell on more than one occasion publicly. 

Yes they could be telling porkies and are prepared to let the player go for a lot less, but the evidence of press outlets constantly stating clubs like Wolves Spurs and Brighton think the price is too high is everywhere 

The evidence is absolutely clear pay the fee demanded as we don’t want to sell or have to sell and won’t sell unless it’s met!

Thats what I believe. Hope that helps. 

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

EXACTLY. THANK YOU!

Edited by REDOXO

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Well you'd not put a player on the transfer list as that would likely reduce the value. 

Putting together all the mentions about selling him and what we value him at, it's very clear we want to sell this summer because this summer we can achieve maximum value. 

Nobody has said we want to sell him, only that anybody who tries is going to have to meet our valuation. That valuation may be designed to deter clubs from trying. Indeed Brighton reportedly think he is overvalued, ironic given they want £100m+ for Caicedo.

Nigel has also said he wants and expects Alex to stay. I suspect that expectation is based on the assumption that nobody will pay £25m for him.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No it wouldn't, we hold his registration, if we put him on the transfer we would also place the valuation

Jesus 

19 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A zoom call! Yes of course. :laugh:! It doesn’t change a thing even if YOU  believe it. The time was limited and the football club (Bristol City) would have had to approve it. Unlikely with an 19 year old under any circumstance unless an agreement was close/imminent.

I absolutely believe (the club board and manager) doesnt want to sell hence the 25m price tag that no one it appears has got in the ball park for. Pearson has stated he expected/expects the player to be here next season (I guess unless 25m is met) and Mr Lansdown has stated he doesn’t want to or have to sell on more than one occasion publicly. 

Yes they could be telling porkies and are prepared to let the player go for a lot less, but the evidence of press outlets constantly stating clubs like Wolves Spurs and Brighton think the price is too high is everywhere 

The evidence is absolutely clear pay the fee demanded as we don’t want to sell or have to sell and won’t sell unless it’s met!

Thats what I believe. Hope that helps. 

EXACTLY. THANK YOU!

I believe we absolutely want to sell him at 25 million this summer. Players agree contracts with clubs before a fee is even agreed these days. That's just how it works now. Plus of course we'd allow Scott to hold preliminary talks with West Ham if they've insinuated they'd get close to the fee we want. 

We don't want to sell him at 20 million, but if 25 million gets offered, we want to sell. 

33 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I disagree with you on this.  I don’t think we do want to sell.  I think SL has finally seen that we can give it a go this season by retaining him.

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nobody has said we want to sell him, only that anybody who tries is going to have to meet our valuation. That valuation may be designed to deter clubs from trying. Indeed Brighton reportedly think he is overvalued, ironic given they want £100m+ for Caicedo.

Nigel has also said he wants and expects Alex to stay. I suspect that expectation is based on the assumption that nobody will pay £25m for him.

That’s my view too.

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I believe we absolutely want to sell him at 25 million this summer. Players agree contracts with clubs before a fee is even agreed these days. That's just how it works now. Plus of course we'd allow Scott to hold preliminary talks with West Ham if they've insinuated they'd get close to the fee we want. 

We don't want to sell him at 20 million, but if 25 million gets offered, we want to sell. 

It is more common these days than yesteryear, agreed.  But it is not the case all the time.  At the top end it probably happens a lot more than the other ways round, but as you drop down the club dictates more.

Does tapping up go on?  Yep.  But that’s very different to agreeing contracts.

Quite often an agent is working for both parties, or as the intermediary between parties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I disagree with you on this.  I don’t think we do want to sell.  I think SL has finally seen that we can give it a go this season by retaining him.

That’s my view too.

It is more common these days than yesteryear, agreed.  But it is not the case all the time.  At the top end it probably happens a lot more than the other ways round, but as you drop down the club dictates more.

Does tapping up go on?  Yep.  But that’s very different to agreeing contracts.

Quite often an agent is working for both parties, or as the intermediary between parties.

Oh no of course we don't want to lose a player of Alex Scotts ability. 

But I think the 25 million has been mentioned so many times now by the club that it just seems a case of "we don't want to sell, but if you give us 25 million, we will reluctantly sell" it kind of feels like we have marketed him for 25 million in the media if that makes sense? 

The club have obviously had contract negotiations with Alex and is aware of the outcome of that, which we're not privvy to. As it stands it looks like Alex won't sign a new contract so this window really is the window where we can extract maximum value. Hence why I think we may be actively trying to sell him at 25 million. 

That 25 million will enable us to accelerate our recruitment plans.

45 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The club have obviously had contract negotiations with Alex and is aware of the outcome of that, which we're not privvy to. As it stands it looks like Alex won't sign a new contract so this window really is the window where we can extract maximum value

Sentence one contradicts sentence two. ???

We don’t know, so we can speculate, but that’s all.

I’m just gonna let it play out.  That’s a bit boring for a forum, admittedly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Some players do, under some circumstances. A 19 year old with two years on his contract, not so much. 

But if you want to believe that tripe further up. Ok!