IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Given the value of some of these unproven/untested Man City youngsters are going for, we are well within our right  to demand the fee we are for Scott. If clubs are willing to spend up to 20 mill on a young player with zero experience, then 25mill is light work for a player with a huge amounts of minutes and league experience in the bank along with a greatly higher ceiling compared to the level he is currently at

• Like 3

6 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Some players do, under some circumstances. A 19 year old with two years on his contract, not so much. 

But if you want to believe that tripe further up. Ok!

Is it tripe tho? 

Football players have primarily talks with clubs before fees are agreed, shock horror. Now that may not fit with the romantic view of Football but that's how it is these days. 

We've likely held the same sort of talks with Jason Knight! You don't go through the whole process of making an official bid and agreeing on a fee without knowing if the player actually wants to join you. That just doesn't happen these days. 

Considering various sources have said West Ham have an interest and have had talks with us about the fee, then it's very very likely that Scott has met with them to discuss contract etc. Scott is very mature for his age so it's very plausible that he has discussed how West Ham plan to use him. Roberts probably had the same talks with us before Brighton had released him. 

You may not like it that a contracted Bristol City player is having talks with other clubs, but that is how football is these days. Those talks have most likely been done with our blessings.

• Like 1

I can't see how the West Ham story is true.  Whilst players might be signed for the 1st team squad, no manager will be promising a player guaranteed mins in the 1st team.  Am pretty sure Moyes would have a similar take as Nige; performances in training/pre season dictate who gets in the team & performances on the pitch determine who stays in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I can't see how the West Ham story is true.  Whilst players might be signed for the 1st team squad, no manager will be promising a player guaranteed mins in the 1st team.  Am pretty sure Moyes would have a similar take as Nige; performances in training/pre season dictate who gets in the team & performances on the pitch determine who stays in.

I think the issue was Moyes saying he couldn’t promise Alex ANY first team action. Maybe he took it as something stronger than the usual “you’ll have to fight your way into the team”. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

If the story is correct (big if) he might not get any first team games at all. Alex has made it clear he does not want to be playing in a PL team's U21side.

The fact that he would rather play first team football with us than none with somebody else but on much bigger money says a lot about his character.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

100%.

Then factor In suspensions & injuries, it is impossible to say this before a ball was kicked.

I doubt anyone would have said prior to last season that Zak Vyner would start 45/46 for us or that Kane Wilson wouldn’t start a single league game.

Moyes could realistically say I don’t see you starting the season in the side but with 9 subs & European games to play, to say this (no likelihood of any first team involvement) seems highly unlikely.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Funny, he's in austria

Yes, you can’t imagine when ‘physically’ he’s sat down with them, unless before returning to training and details emerging only now - there’s always zoom calls too, which is possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

If you read the whole thing, it said the upper brass there put in a lot of work to get Alex Scott in and talk up West Ham. While true Moyes said he would be competing with Paqueta and Fornals, Scott was not demanding minutes. He wanted to know the plan and pathway to minutes in which he was offered nothing. 

So in this instance, if true, Alex is choosing playing over possibly being lost in the reserves. He was asking what was the plan about opportunity and used Downes as an example. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

If you read the whole thing, it said the upper brass there put in a lot of work to get Alex Scott in and talk up West Ham. While true Moyes said he would be competing with Paqueta and Fornals, Scott was not demanding minutes.

Which is odd as it's being reported that they want to sell Fornals.

9 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Exactly second half of the season Fornals was not a regular starter.

Yea its 90% bull in my opinion, designed to undermine moyes, which doesn't make sense as he has a history of giving young players a chance,

• Like 1

These reports imply that Alex has met with Moyes and Moyes was not impressed with Alex and his questions, and equally Alex was not impressed with Moyes and the set up. However we all know Alex is a well spoken, with an old head on young shoulders and I fail to see how he would have put his questions across in a way to offend Moyes. Equally West Ham would be spending a lot of money on Alex and would have a clear idea on the development programme for him. So I am calling BS on this.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Is it tripe tho? 

Football players have primarily talks with clubs before fees are agreed, shock horror. Now that may not fit with the romantic view of Football but that's how it is these days. 

We've likely held the same sort of talks with Jason Knight! You don't go through the whole process of making an official bid and agreeing on a fee without knowing if the player actually wants to join you. That just doesn't happen these days. 

Considering various sources have said West Ham have an interest and have had talks with us about the fee, then it's very very likely that Scott has met with them to discuss contract etc. Scott is very mature for his age so it's very plausible that he has discussed how West Ham plan to use him. Roberts probably had the same talks with us before Brighton had released him. 

You may not like it that a contracted Bristol City player is having talks with other clubs, but that is how football is these days. Those talks have most likely been done with our blessings.

that is exactly how i saw the matty taylor transfer when we took him off the stigs, slight difference being the release clause, would have looked stupid if hed said no thanks after we offered the required fee

3 hours ago, TDarwall said:

There’s not promising a player minutes and not promising a player minutes but selling the club, the journey at the same time.  I’ve no idea whether this is true or not, but I’d like to be (?), so it gives more likelihood of Alex being here next season.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Funny, he's in austria

We don’t know when this happened, and it’s possible that to do remotely, Alex in Austria, his reps there in person with West Ham reps, or combos of.

Even in the 90s players were using mobile phones to do transfers (apart from the physical signing) whilst on holidays.

17 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Oh no of course we don't want to lose a player of Alex Scotts ability. 

But I think the 25 million has been mentioned so many times now by the club that it just seems a case of "we don't want to sell, but if you give us 25 million, we will reluctantly sell" it kind of feels like we have marketed him for 25 million in the media if that makes sense? 

The club have obviously had contract negotiations with Alex and is aware of the outcome of that, which we're not privvy to. As it stands it looks like Alex won't sign a new contract so this window really is the window where we can extract maximum value. Hence why I think we may be actively trying to sell him at 25 million. 

That 25 million will enable us to accelerate our recruitment plans.

You've been quite bullish so far about the £25m and maybe more. I may as well ask.

Do you think we'll actually get a bid of £25m and or above? Granted nearly two months left in the window but there do seem to be or have been a lot of reports of clubs and hesitancy about the price tag.

Scott is just one of many options out there, albeit ahead of many of these at respective stages of their career. I checked a few of these the other day.

I actually could see his development being well served by one more season here but time will tell.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Tyna said:

These reports imply that Alex has met with Moyes and Moyes was not impressed with Alex and his questions, and equally Alex was not impressed with Moyes and the set up. However we all know Alex is a well spoken, with an old head on young shoulders and I fail to see how he would have put his questions across in a way to offend Moyes. Equally West Ham would be spending a lot of money on Alex and would have a clear idea on the development programme for him. So I am calling BS on this.   

Doing a lot of "reading into" there Tyna. I think it's more likely that Alex just made it clear that he loves to play and thinks he is good enough to do so at first team level. I think Moyes would be impressed by that, but that he feels he can only offer him a season of under 21's squad with the possibility of getting a few minutes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You've been quite bullish so far about the £25m and maybe more. I may as well ask.

Do you think we'll actually get a bid of £25m and or above? Granted nearly two months left in the window but there do seem to be or have been a lot of reports of clubs and hesitancy about the price tag.

Scott is just one of many options out there, albeit ahead of many of these at respective stages of their career. I checked a few of these the other day.

I actually could see his development being well served by one more season here but time will tell.

I agree. If he goes now, I foresee a season of sub appearances for a Wolves type team. Another season performing for us and next year you could imagine sub appearances for a Liverpool or Tottnum. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In my mind, there is no doubt that in the future, we'll see Alex playing in an England midfield of him, Bellingham and Rice. 

England just don't produce players like Scott. He is a unique talent. Within a few years Alex, in my opinion, could be another 80-100 million pound player. 

We have lots of interest despite the price tag we've put on him, because he is an incredible talent. 

We all saw his performance against Man City. He is ready for Premier league football. 

I think people don't realise that premier league clubs have not even returned to pre season training yet. I think that's what the hesitancy is about, rather than the fee.

The Declan Rice deal still hasn't been completed. When that goes through and other clubs sell and make signings then I fully expect to see real concrete bids put in for Scott. It's that classic domino effect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

In my mind, there is no doubt that in the future, we'll see Alex playing in an England midfield of him, Bellingham and Rice. 

England just don't produce players like Scott. He is a unique talent. Within a few years Alex, in my opinion, could be another 80-100 million pound player. 

We have lots of interest despite the price tag we've put on him, because he is an incredible talent. 

One of Alex’s greatest attributes imo, is that he’s comfortable on and off the ball at any position in the midfield. Very rare to find that level of skill and game intelligence in someone of his age. He’s unique in the fluidity of his play that takes experience to master yet comes to him seemingly naturally.

Think some thought he was leaving right out the gates as we had made so much movements early this window. 

Not only was the prem window not open at that point, but we made those signings because the staff knew some of what they have wanted to bring in for months due to our smaller squad. Once pre season starts for those prem teams and they gage where they need to strengthen more then I think we’ll see bids come in.