IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

29 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Let’s be fair, Bournemouth have a history of starting with low bids and then meeting us “in the middle” e.g Semenyo.

I can see City taking a guaranteed £20m plus £5m in add-ons…..

This will start to escalate now - the next week or so will be interesting, especially once Rice has gone to Arsenal 

The one thing I am confident of is that City won’t be a pushover in negotiations.

On the one hand you're saying you can see us take a guaranteed 20 million when we have clearly stated we want at least 25 million.

But then on the other hand you're saying you're confident that we won't be a push over in negotiations. 

Isn't taking at least 5 million less than we want being a push over? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One Team said:

This is just the start and Bournemouth have shown their hand early. Wouldn’t surprise me if others now join in and then a big comes in last minute. We’ve all been there on eBay surely?! ?

We're selling Alex on eBay? :shocking:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How is it tactics to make a bid that you know won't be accepted. 

Because it may turn the head of the player in a football context. Player may get unsettled, unhappy and this can put pressure on a club.

Levy commonly low-balls. Him aside, I get the rationale.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How is it tactics to make a bid that you know won't be accepted. 

A low ball (or anchoring) offer is a tactic used in negotiating in all types of businesses. City want 25m and they’ve offered 15m.  Bournemouth will be hoping that City see 21-22m a success as it’s over half way between the two. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Because it may turn the head of the player in a football context. Player may get unsettled, puts pressure on a club.

Levy commonly low-balls.

Not in this case. He will be aware of his standing and his value like everyone else and know that £15M ain't going to cut it. 

17 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not in this case. He will be aware of his standing and his value like everyone else and know that £15M ain't going to cut it. 

Isn't uncommon in football but yes we can all agree £15m is undoubtedly too low.

What about when his agent starts getting in his ear- for his client's best interests of course. ;)

*Cough* Signing on fee, *Cough* Commission.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Maybe but this is a once in a lifetime player for us I believe , best natural talent in the many years I have been following us , he will play for England for sure and in my opinion be a superstar, 25million plus BIG sell on fee will prove to be very cheap

I’m over 60! Whilst meeting big John on many occasions I did not really remember seeing him playing. 

This boy is in my opinion the best player we’ve had since Gerry Gow broke into our team at about the same age. 

• Like 2

In simple terms, agents effectively act as estate agents in transfers. They advertise availability and try to get the best deal for… themselves, in reality.

The best deal for them could be a higher transfer fee or higher wages, depending on how they take their cut. Typically its a combination of the two. These days, there’s the added complication of multiple agents. But let’s keep it simple.

In this scenario, they will be aware of all interest (they drummed it up, after all) and won’t hesitate to inform other parties of Bournemouth’s opening gambit. They’ll be no need for City to leak it to the press - they’ll deploy a number of tactics to make sure it gets out there!

Then there’s the buyer’s negotiators - enter Kirsty and Phil. Kirsty goes all in, they’ve ask for £25m, give them £30m, it’s only money. Phil takes a more tactical approach. Phil obviously works for Bournemouth.

As for sell ons, the contracts are very complex these days (agents, etc. all employ lawyers), so the sell on clauses will have sub-clauses e.g X% within initial contract term Y% thereafter.

The agents are the only ones who really know what’s going, but they won’t share all information with all parties, unless it’s in their interest to do so (and that includes the player).

How do I know this… I know a former player, who has some great stories* and other contacts closer to home.

* Kirsty used to work for Middlesbrough

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, grifty said:

I’m amazed at how many experts on football transfers and how they work we have on here!

It must be wonderful to be such experts on exactly how multi million pound transfers work......I feel so inferior and out of my depth......?

• Haha 2

If Scotty is gonna be loaned back to us for the whole season, we get a guaranteed £20M, £5M in achievable add-ons, plus a 20% sell on. He’s gonna be gone, assuming he doesn’t mind playing for Bournemouth (or whichever team it ends up being).

Despite NP dislike of getting loan players in, I’m pretty sure NP would make an exception in this case.

COYR.

Edited by Tangle Foot

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If he can get a massive pay rise and play regularly, which is more likely at Bournemouth, why would he care what the price is? If he fancies it then he should be thinking about himself, not what suits BCFC. Therefore it could indeed unsettle him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

If Scotty is gonna be loaned back to us for the whole season, we get a guaranteed £20M, £5M in achievable add-ons, plus a 20% sell on. He’s gonna be gone, assuming he doesn’t mind playing for Bournemouth (or whichever team it ends up being).

Despite NP dislike of getting loan players in, I’m pretty sure NP would make an exception in this case.

COYR.

No chance Bournemouth loan him back

As it stands he'd be straight in the team as their best centre mid

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

Well that's answered that then, how could I possibly respond to such detail? All rather defensive, sounds like you've probably dragged those facts out as proof before. Did it touch a nerve?

As for the nationality question - how presumptuous of you! Such a shame really, cos in the first part of your response you attack my post with facts and great detail. Yet you let yourself down with your final assumption.

But you didn't ask a question. You made a statement damning the club based in part on that. Which is pretty presumptuous...  For what it's worth, I've never posted that info on another club's forum before, it just gets a bit tiresome seeing the same things being repeated and assumed as correct based on nothing but the narrative people want it to be. I only came here to see the thoughts on Scott, much as I came to see the thoughts on Semenyo back in Jan.

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

On the one hand you're saying you can see us take a guaranteed 20 million when we have clearly stated we want at least 25 million.

But then on the other hand you're saying you're confident that we won't be a push over in negotiations. 

Isn't taking at least 5 million less than we want being a push over? 

No, not overly…….think £20m guaranteed with £5m of potential (as long as add-ons aren’t unreasonable) would be seen as as good deal for us 

1 minute ago, Kirsikka said:

But you didn't ask a question. You made a statement damning the club based in part on that. Which is pretty presumptuous...  For what it's worth, I've never posted that info on another club's forum before, it just gets a bit tiresome seeing the same things being repeated and assumed as correct based on nothing but the narrative people want it to be. I only came here to see the thoughts on Scott, much as I came to see the thoughts on Semenyo back in Jan.

Out of interest and I guess only the board, management whoever will know for sure but some fans may have a good idea, do you think Bournemouth will stretch to £25m? Or maybe £22m with a few add-ons thst can take up to £25m and a bit beyond.

£15m certainly won't and never was going to cut it and I assume that the Bournemouth hierarchy were reasonably cognisant of the fact.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest and I guess only the board, management whoever will know for sure but some fans may have a good idea, do you think Bournemouth will stretch to £25m? Or maybe £22m with a few add-ons thst can take up to £25m and a bit beyond.

£15m certainly won't and never was going to cut it and I assume that the Bournemouth hierarchy were reasonably cognisant of the fact.

I said earlier I didn't think there was anything in it as I thought the asking price was beyond us but, as I also said, I'm often wrong and we're also in a new world with the new owner and nobody really knows for sure where he is going. He is spending on the training ground though, has made promises about the stadium, and did spend on the squad in January, so it isn't beyond the realms of all possibility.

Now we've actually bid and so there is something in it I'm sure we'll come back with more. At a guess, I'd say they're hoping your £25m was an opening gambit like our £15m and neither were likely to happen but enable the clubs to meet somewhere in the middle. Given all the interest, I suspect they'll try and make a deal happen fast to maybe get it locked in before some of the other interested clubs are ready to make their move. They might need other dominoes to fall before making a bid so have to let it pass them by.

In some ways, we're a good move if he wants to play as there are two midfield spaces open to be taken and so he'd have a real chance at consistent Premier League appearances from day one if he can show his ability on the training ground. We'd also recognise we're only a stepping stone and so would let him go if a big bid came in should he prove a hit. The problem with a club like West Ham is they think they should be in the elite group and so will try and hang onto him. A bit like with Rice. Yes, there is always the danger of relegation with us but those are the sums he needs to make if a bid is accepted.

And yes, I know what we are as a club and have never forgotten it. When it finally does all fall apart and we're back in L2 I'll still be supporting them, as I was in the past. Although, there is the slightest tinge of hope that the new owner might be building something a little longer term and so maybe we'll hang around in the top two tiers longer than any of us expect.

Edited by Kirsikka
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I think you're confused, my point is that in my opinion he won't go to Bournemouth under any circumstances even if they offered 100 Million but if Spurs offered 25 he'd be off in a flash and there would be absolutely nothing the club could do about it (other than cutting their nose to spite their face and refusing to sell him which they won't) my point is that he won't necessarily be sold to the highest bidder which is what the club would like to happen

What makes you think he won’t consider Bournemouth?

51 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

COYR.

My opinion is that if he leaves, we say goodbye, because I don’t think a loan suits him or us.  He’s moving on, coming back on loan just creates hassle.

42 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Just a thought, does anyone else think Bournemouth may have offered a keeper to us as part of their bid? I understand they’re keen to move Travers on.

Oooooh you’re on fire tonight!  Interesting!!!

• Like 1

15 mil seems low - but nobody knows the full offer.

15 mil - no

But 15 mil plus 5 mil for 50 games played at Bournemouth and 30% sell-on (full sale price to new club) makes it a whole new beast.

If Scott is sold in 2025 to a another club for 50 mil then its 20 mil (clause triggered + original price) plus 30% of 50 mil - another 15.

In 18 months we get a windfall of 20 mil from the games played and add-ons clauses

All of a sudden we have got 35 mil for AS - and Bournemouth are only out the 15 + 5 with the new club paying them 50 mil, they would get 35 mil after the sell-on clause.

We get 35 mil in total

Bournemouth get Scott for 18 months for a profit 15 mil (35 mil balance minus original fee + games played clause)

New club get AS for 50 mil

It's a bit short-sighted to go 15 mil - nah, without knowing the full offer.

Everyone wins in this scenario, us, Bournemouth and Alex.

2p

• Like 3