IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

£18m is almost an entire season's losses. It's a huge injection of cash. Honestly people seem fixated on the £25m figure...but I reckon we'd be happy with anything within 10% of £20m.

Why would the club reject 18 million from Wolves then?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Bournemouth would feel a bit of an anti-climax, mainly because I genuinely think Alex has a real shot at playing for England within the next 24 months if he continues his current rate of progress. And he's not going to do that while he's at Bournemouth.

Lewis Cook came to us as a young midfielder with a big reputation in the Championship and made his England debut less than 24 months later. He did his cruciate a few months later and was out for nine months, and subsequently did his other cruciate and ended up missing another nine months. If those hadn't impacted his career I would have expected him to have made more appearances for England and to have moved on to a bigger club. I don't think he'll now ever become the player he could have been without those injuries and interruptions to his development, and that's a risk all players need to consider when deciding on whether to stay somewhere or push for a move now.

But in answer to your point, he could well play for England if he signed for us. Still waiting for another club to swoop in have a bid accepted ahead of us though.

• Like 2

We have said all along 25 million 

so unless it’s that no deal simple as , if the club lets him go for any less it makes us look a soft touch so to speak 

we hold all the cards with the contract etc etc so 25 mill or nothing 

saying that if Alex puts in a transfer request ( be disappointed if he did ) then that’s another matter , 

starting to drag on a bit for me , 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

I honestly don't think we're that soft in the here & now.

At 18 mil we will have had our pants pulled down - not happening.

I’m glad some of the people on here are not making decisions, from 25million to quick take the18 million now , just because of a couple of try on offers and pundit opinion.

Don’t think Pearson , Alexander etc are soft touches , if not met Scott stays I would think is Nige’s attitude 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

In the position he plays, playing in a team that'll get out-passed - and lose - most games, standing out will be difficult.

Don't think that point of view is too difficult to understand, personally, but all opinions innit.

Yep don't agree at all but all about opinions.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I couldn’t careless who he goes too , there money is as good as anyone’s, take the money and move on, all the best to Alex and wish him luck.

Yep. It's very odd from some on here about where he goes. 

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Why would the club reject 18 million from Wolves then?

Firstly. Have they? Is that known as a fact or is it rumour built on conjecture? It's reported by some journalists but we don't know any details.

Secondly, if that has happened then quite possibly it's because whilst £18m is a good fee, there's still a long time left in the window and we think we might get more.

Maybe I should have said we should in my opinion be happy with £20m +/-10%. I think that's a fine fee.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Firstly. Have they? Is that known as a fact or is it rumour built on conjecture? It's reported by some journalists but we don't know any details.

Secondly, if that has happened then quite possibly it's because whilst £18m is a good fee, there's still a long time left in the window and we think we might get more.

Maybe I should have said we should in my opinion be happy with £20m +/-10%. I think that's a fine fee.

No, they haven't, we would of had a story like last night if they did,

9 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

I do wonder if Liverpool could make a move seeing as Henderson looks to be off to Saudi? Not saying he'll be his replacement but imagine they'll be a bit short on the home grown player quota?

They have Jones and Bajcetic as home grown and of course Alexander-Arnold is now playing a hybrid midfield role. So they have no great need for Alex.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Well yes it is conjecture, as is everything involved else in the thread.

I don't and neither do the club as far as we can reasonably tell. A price tag has been set publicly, everything is in our favour, why would we budge? Scott is staying unless his price tag is met because the club are totally in the driving seat due to his contract length. Dropping the price by 7 million when there's 6 weeks left of the transfer window would be an odd decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

A lot of Liverpool fans seem to want him.

Even without Henderson they have the 2 new signings, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones, Elliot, Bajcetic. Also rumoured to be after Lavia from Saints who stood out in a poor Southampton team last season

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Well yes it is conjecture, as is everything involved else in the thread.

I don't and neither do the club as far as we can reasonably tell. A price tag has been set publicly, everything is in our favour, why would we budge? Scott is staying unless his price tag is met because the club are totally in the driving seat due to his contract length. Dropping the price by 7 million when there's 6 weeks left of the transfer window would be an odd decision.

Tell me. When you negotiate something, do you start off at the price you are actually happy with? Or do you start higher than you expect to ultimately receive, knowing that your opponent will start low, and ultimately you'll probably land in the middle?

£25m is not a fixed price. It's a starting point and the buying clubs and agents are going to play the game.

• Like 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Tell me. When you negotiate something, do you start off at the price you are actually happy with? Or do you start higher than you expect to ultimately receive, knowing that your opponent will start low, and ultimately you'll probably land in the middle?

£25m is not a fixed price. It's a starting point and the buying clubs and agents are going to play the game.

There's room for negotiation, say to 22, and then there's giving around a 30% discount on a player to 18. We don't need nor want to sell, it would be very disappointing and a strange business decision to fold to a considerably lower fee than the one repeatedly quoted in the press with this much time left in the window. 6 hours left? I get it. 6 weeks? Makes no sense and reeks of desperation to sell which I haven't seen any evidence of so far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Even without Henderson they have the 2 new signings, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones, Elliot, Bajcetic. Also rumoured to be after Lavia from Saints who stood out in a poor Southampton team last season

Fabinho and Thiago likely to leave, if decent offers made.

• Like 1

Just now, KegCity said:

There's room for negotiation, say to 22, and then there's giving around a 30% discount on a player to 18. We don't need nor want to sell, it would be very disappointing and a strange business decision to fold to a considerably lower fee than the one repeatedly quoted in the press with this much time left in the window. 6 hours left? I get it. 6 weeks? Makes no sense and reeks of desperation to sell which I haven't seen any evidence of so far.

Depends what we want to do with the cash/accounting headroom we get from the fee.

If selling for £18m now allows us to get one or two more players through the door, players we might miss if we wait until 31 August in the hope of getting £23m, then maybe it's not so mental.

I understand though that our current strategy suggests that is not what we are looking to do, and so with that in mind I do agree we should get the most we can.

Although I disagree that we don't want to sell. I reckon we would love to sell a player for £20m. I also stand firm that if we do get £18m in the end, that's no embarrassment and is a bloody good fee.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Depends what we want to do with the cash/accounting headroom we get from the fee.

If selling for £18m now allows us to get one or two more players through the door, players we might miss if we wait until 31 August in the hope of getting £23m, then maybe it's not so mental.

I understand though that our current strategy suggests that is not what we are looking to do, and so with that in mind I do agree we should get the most we can.

Although I disagree that we don't want to sell. I reckon we would love to sell a player for £20m. I also stand firm that if we do get £18m in the end, that's no embarrassment and is a bloody good fee.

I guess we just have different views on it. I think that that sort of fee would be much more beneficial to the squad than keeping Alex, I also think a 30% reduction in price would be poor business from the club when he has two years on his deal and there’s plenty of time in the window.

Phil Alexander has been in a similar situation when at Palace with Zaha, nobody met their valuation and Zaha is still with Palace. I would be surprised and disappointed if he folded this early in the window but we’ll see how it plays out.

This is going to drag on and on but I hope (and believe) that we will drive a hard bargain and end up getting somewhere close to the £25m we are seeking for Alex.

The only way I can see this changing is if the player starts agitating for a move. Scott, from what we know, has behaved impeccably so far and he seems a great kid. But it’s not impossible to imagine that him and his agent could really start to put the club under pressure to make the move if the club he wants to join come in with a bid. When that happens, the whole dynamic changes and we may be backed into a bit of a corner. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the summer. 

Edited by Jacki
Typo

2 minutes ago, Jacki said:

This is going to drag on and on but I hope (and believe) that we will drive a hard bargain and end up getting somewhere close to the £25m we are seeking for Alex.

The only way I can see the is changing is if the player starts agitating for a move. Scott, from what we know, has behaved impeccably so far and he seems a great kid. But it’s not impossible to imagine that him and his agent could really start to put the club under pressure to make the move if the club he wants to join come in with a bid. When that happens, the whole dynamic changes and we may be backed into a bit of a corner. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the summer. 

By doing what? Refusing to play?

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We might have had eighteen bids of one million from Wolves. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

By doing what? Refusing to play?

Who knows? Putting in a transfer request, refusing to play, making it obvious to all and sundry that he doesn’t want to be around… Scott doesn’t seem the type to do any of those things, at all, but under pressure from an agent and with the carrot of his dream move being dangled in front of him with untold riches on offer you just never know.

I’d be surprised if it came to any of that with Scott but I’m just saying it’s a possibility. It is football after all. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jacki said:

The only way I can see this changing is if the player starts agitating for a move. Scott, from what we know, has behaved impeccably so far and he seems a great kid. But it’s not impossible to imagine that him and his agent could really start to put the club under pressure to make the move if the club he wants to join come in with a bid. When that happens, the whole dynamic changes and we may be backed into a bit of a corner. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the summer. 

It's Bournemouth not Barcelona.