IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

6 minutes ago, Jacki said:

This is going to drag on and on but I hope (and believe) that we will drive a hard bargain and end up getting somewhere close to the £25m we are seeking for Alex.

The only way I can see this changing is if the player starts agitating for a move. Scott, from what we know, has behaved impeccably so far and he seems a great kid. But it’s not impossible to imagine that him and his agent could really start to put the club under pressure to make the move if the club he wants to join come in with a bid. When that happens, the whole dynamic changes and we may be backed into a bit of a corner. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the summer. 

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

By doing what? Refusing to play?

Alex is under contract, which means that as long as he does not sign the new contract we've offered he continues to be bound by the present contract that runs for another 2 years.

Being under contract means that even if we accept a bid from another club Alex does not have to agree to go there.

By the same token,  the club do not have to sell if they do not receive an acceptable offer, even if it is a club that Alex would love to play for.

Alex could "make life difficult" and put the club under pressure to make the move but the only way that can really happen is for him to run his contract down, but that would be self-defeating, as it would guarantee him being stuck here for 2 more years - years that he could be building his career in the premier league. 

It does seem to me that there has been an open dialogue between the club and Alex/his agent and that there is mutual agreement about the way forward, in order that both club and player end up with the best outcome.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Alex is under contract, which means that as long as he does not sign the new contract we've offered he continues to be bound by the present contract that runs for another 2 years.

Being under contract means that even if we accept a bid from another club Alex does not have to agree to go there.

By the same token,  the club do not have to sell if they do not receive an acceptable offer, even if it is a club that Alex would love to play for.

Alex could "make life difficult" and put the club under pressure to make the move but the only way that can really happen is for him to run his contract down, but that would be self-defeating, as it would guarantee him being stuck here for 2 more years - years that he could be building his career in the premier league. 

It does seem to me that there has been an open dialogue between the club and Alex/his agent and that there is mutual agreement about the way forward, in order that both club and player end up with the best outcome.

Exactly. If he decides the first team isn’t for him anymore, and nobody submits a suitable bid, he’d be welcome to kick rocks in the under 23s. We’ve seen bigger players such as Kane try and force moves by not training etc but when they have years on their deal it’s down to the club alone.

I don’t think it would ever come to that though.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I totally agree. As I’ve said, Scott has behaved impeccably from what I can see and I have absolutely no reason to think he would make life difficult. I was just saying that he could. And if he does, the dynamic changes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nigel said recently that he expected Alex to be here next season. I took that to mean he didn't think any club would make an acceptable offer. We'll see soon enough.

I so hope that NP is right?    Because If i was a Prem Manager (As if? Ha!) i would snap him up.  He's a future probable England  midfielder, even captain, with at least 13 years of professional football ahead of him....what is there not to like?  He is a snip at 25 Mill ......IMHO?  Which ever club/clubs miss out will rue the day.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think this is right that Alex and his agent are fully aware and in agreement of City's position and strategy.  I'm confident therefore that he will not become disgruntled, at least not until we start turning down multiple offers above £25M.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I so hope that NP is right?    Because If i was a Prem Manager (As if? Ha!) i would snap him up.  He's a future probable England  midfielder, even captain, with at least 13 years of professional football ahead of him....what is there not to like?  He is a snip at 25 Mill ......IMHO?  Which ever club/clubs miss out will rue the day.

I kinda agree,, pep saw how he played against them,  for a club with that much money, with some ageing midfielders, i dont see why they wouldnt take a punt on him?!

34 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

How Bristol City would it be to reject an £18m bid for him to then walk away on a free. 

On the flip side we would get 2 attempts at promotion to the premier league with him in our team, presumably improving along the way.

if and it’s a big if we were to be successful in promotion over these two seasons that would be worth a hell of a lot more……

Trying to think how these scenarios may work.

Not even talking the top of the top but forget Bournemouth, Brighton ,West Ham even.

If tomorrow Borussia Dortmund with their record with giving Bellingham, Haaland and Sancho and they are still looking for CM number 2, anyway they gave the platform came in with a £23m bid and we stuck rigidly then Scott may not be too happy. Inter likewise, European Cup finalists and of course a big history similar number- came back with a £22-23m bid, and we said "£25m and we'll talk"- I expect it wouldn't go down well.

Let alone the big clubs over here or the top 5-10 in Europe above those I just listed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not even talking the top of the top but forget Bournemouth, Brighton ,West Ham even.

If tomorrow Borussia Dortmund with their record with giving Bellingham, Haaland and Sancho and they are still looking for CM number 2, anyway they gave the platform came in with a £23m bid and we stuck rigidly then Scott may not be too happy. Inter likewise, European Cup finalists and of course a big history similar number- came back with a £22-23m bid, and we said "£25m and we'll talk"- I expect it wouldn't go down well.

Let alone the big clubs over here or the top 5-10 in Europe above those I just listed.

Lansdown is a very honourable bloke, he never has and never will stand in the way of a dream move as long as it’s fair for everyone.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

On the flip side we would get 2 attempts at promotion to the premier league with him in our team, presumably improving along the way.

if and it’s a big if we were to be successful in promotion over these two seasons that would be worth a hell of a lot more……

And we’d still get compensation. I don’t think we’d be spending much of that 25m even if we got it. Arguably two more seasons of him and the idk 5-7m compensation might benefit the club more as he would/could be a key piece in promotion. 

Def think we should hold firm on 25m this summer. Next summer for Scott and our sake I’d probably sell for 10-12m but also depends on how close to promotion we are. Lose in playoffs I might value him at 20m even in last season. Like I said worst case financially is two years on small wages and compensation of which would still be good money for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bourne End Red said:

Lansdown is a very honourable bloke, he never has and never will stand in the way of a dream move as long as it’s fair for everyone.

Agree on this. I'm all for holding out for £25m and if we can get above fantastic but I wonder at what point things shift a little.

Could even be a bit creative on it, ask to be kept informed if a good but not necessarily high cost loan became available from their end, bump up priority a little in exahange for a slightly lesser fee.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I’m as much an admirer of Scott as anyone else: he’s by far the best young prospect that I’ve seen in my six decades or so of following City. However, I do think we’re sometimes in danger of getting a bit carried away. Predicting the course of a young player’s career is not an exact science and even the experts don’t always get it right - Stephen Caulker, Deli Alli…. Sometimes factors come into play that nobody can foresee. The lad hasn’t turned 20 yet. It’s a good job he seems to be very level-headed for his age, because there are some very heavy expectations hanging over him. Let’s see how he goes next season: he’ll come in for some pretty close attention from the opposition after all the media exposure he’s getting. Not that he wasn’t a marked man before, but in the unlikely event that anyone wasn’t aware of him until recently, they certainly will be now.

Edited by CliftonCliff
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

55 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Who knows? Putting in a transfer request, refusing to play, making it obvious to all and sundry that he doesn’t want to be around… Scott doesn’t seem the type to do any of those things, at all, but under pressure from an agent and with the carrot of his dream move being dangled in front of him with untold riches on offer you just never know.

I’d be surprised if it came to any of that with Scott but I’m just saying it’s a possibility. It is football after all. 

Will not happen. Scott and the club have a mutual understanding - they are all on the same page. He has told them he wishes to leave for the Prem, however he is fully switched on with how this will play out 

What sets this lad aside from the rest is he already has the maturity of a 30 year old 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

God forbid we play hardball with big clubs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Thicko

That was necessary! ? 

Anyway we will see. Any amount of press speculation won’t change a thing. 

No one has got close enough to the number to justify further conversation.

Also the boy does not have to go anywhere even if someone does. 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Will not happen. Scott and the club have a mutual understanding - they are all on the same page. He has told them he wishes to leave for the Prem, however he is fully switched on with how this will play out 

What sets this lad aside from the rest is he already has the maturity of a 30 year old 

How do you know he wants to leave?

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Who is better between Alex Scott and his u19 midfield mate Carney who went to Chelsea for £20m?

Just wondering

Imho they are very different players.  If I had to bet who is more suited to “making it big”, I’d bet Alex.  He has a better football brain / understanding / maturity that Chuka.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, roddy-d said:

It’s a 180 million if you win the playoffs how much do you get for automatic promotion. Lolz 

Less…because you don’t get the income from the playoffs.  Perverse isn’t it!

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

I guess we just have different views on it. I think that that sort of fee would be much more beneficial to the squad than keeping Alex, I also think a 30% reduction in price would be poor business from the club when he has two years on his deal and there’s plenty of time in the window.

Phil Alexander has been in a similar situation when at Palace with Zaha, nobody met their valuation and Zaha is still with Palace. I would be surprised and disappointed if he folded this early in the window but we’ll see how it plays out.

The £25m was quoted (many times) without there being a bid…and lots of interest.  If that interest hasn’t quite materialised, then it’s no shame if we end up having to accept less, whatever the amount becomes.  It’s encouraging we turned down £18m from Wolves, and I don’t expect that wasn’t put out there for a reason.

Wolves do there bidding in private (possibly)

Bournemouth tend to play their’s out in the media, so someone has dropped in Wolves bid for a good reason!!!

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Nigel said recently that he expected Alex to be here next season. I took that to mean he didn't think any club would make an acceptable offer. We'll see soon enough.

Yes, sort of agree, I think Nige “hoped” nobody would come knocking…but now they have, he’ll accept whatever happens.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Andy - this is the most ever, ever, ever, ever….ever, I’ve agreed with you! ???

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Don’t think Pearson , Alexander etc are soft touches , if not met Scott stays I would think is Nige’s attitude 

And if by some chance he starts playing silly buggers (and I don't think he would ) NP will have him back in the U23s as quick as a wink, which wouldn't do his prospects any good .