IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think we deviate from the plan.  Don’t forget under the current financial plan, we are close enough to FFP (although not a concern) and SL is bailing us out every season.  If you’re looking for investment or to sell you aren’t gonna want to put money in for someone’s benefit.

So I think Scott’s money (should he go) avoids us having to get an SL bail out for 2 / 3 seasons.

I’m not saying Nige doesn’t get any if it, but I’m think one or two signings at most.

I’m sure we don’t want Zak to go for nothing next season.  I suspect talks will happen if not already happening.

We might bring in a project though.

I reckon potentially three signings if Scott goes - a Scott replacement and then I reckon we might bring forward some future planning in midfield and up-front for when James and Weimann’s contracts expire.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to say with Vyner, laat year felt like a bit of a breakthrough year didn't it. Can he maintain and push on is the question? In theory yes, as the sides level raises so might his. 25 isnt he, enterint peak age rsnfe and sfill a bit of room for growth- I'm leaning towards try and tie down if possible. 

Atkinson still out for a while, I'll be honest is Dickie right or left footed? I don't know! Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson remain our pure centre backs- yes I know that others can cover but think one more needed ideally although finances may dictate otherwise.

Bit soon? Only 21, Goalkeepers can very much peak later, can hit peak years later than any other position, would we put Wiles-Richards ahead of him as our 3rd keeper?

If you ignore Kal Naismith early career as a winger, he’s a CB….he’s not played much in midfield across his career.

FWIW whilst it feels like a right and left foot pairing is the optimal pairing, it really depends on the individual.  Kalas is absolutely fine playing left side, body shape / position is perfect for receiving passes, and also shows his man inside when being attacked.  Bailey Wright looked all at sea at LCB2.

FWIW pt2, McCrorie played LCB2 for Aberdeen, with Bates as RCB2.

And of course we have Roberts before we start to think about Pring.

I therefore think we cont need to be in any rush to bring one in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think we deviate from the plan.  Don’t forget under the current financial plan, we are close enough to FFP (although not a concern) and SL is bailing us out every season.  If you’re looking for investment or to sell you aren’t gonna want to put money in for someone’s benefit.

So I think Scott’s money (should he go) avoids us having to get an SL bail out for 2 / 3 seasons.

I’m not saying Nige doesn’t get any if it, but I’m think one or two signings at most.

I’m sure we don’t want Zak to go for nothing next season.  I suspect talks will happen if not already happening.

We might bring in a project though.

So , as a fan, there is no benefit to selling Scott unless your Uncle Steve. That neatly sums up what I have been saying.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon potentially three signings if Scott goes - a Scott replacement and then I reckon we might bring forward some future planning in midfield and up-front for when James and Weimann’s contracts expire.

My view is we are probably there…and we might look at the succession plan / project for James / Williams / Naismith.  It is why I wanted Archie Collins (as well as Knight).  I think Mehmeti is the no10 option, with Weimann probably gonna be the first choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

So , as a fan, there is no benefit to selling Scott unless your Uncle Steve. That neatly sums up what I have been saying.

In many respects you’re probably right if you take my post as black and white.  I’m not saying none of it becomes available, but when I read we might get 4 players in (and in particular ones better than what we have) then I don’t see the costs of them being workable.  One, two maybe.

But I’m just a fan with an opinion.  You should take more notice of the actions of the club and see what happens!

Certainly makes sense to get Pring and Vyner on extended contracts with improved deals with some of the resources from an almost inevitable Alex Scott sale. After all, both were contenders for player of the season.   

Pring is such an important player and it's not easy (or cheap) to pick up players with his athleticism, pace, consistency and ability defensively and offensively.    I wouldn't want to see him wasted at centre-back either so a LCB signing whilst Atkinson recovers would be a good use of resources if Scott is sold. Naismith shouldn't be inhibited from the way he plays and the team benefits from it,  but I'd prefer him to make his occasional error in midfield rather than central defence.   

I suspect one of the reasons for not being too extravagant with new contract offers is because Pearson's approach is to have a greater togetherness and he has wanted a squad that has greater parity in terms of wages to help achieve that objective.  That said, I think the likes of Pring should be given an offer at the top end of the pay structure to ensure his contract is extended.  I wouldn't want to see Vyner leave on a free either.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

In many respects you’re probably right if you take my post as black and white.  I’m not saying none of it becomes available, but when I read we might get 4 players in (and in particular ones better than what we have) then I don’t see the costs of them being workable.  One, two maybe.

But I’m just a fan with an opinion.  You should take more notice of the actions of the club and see what happens!

Hasn't Nigel said that if we sell Alex we won't then be spending big money? He'll get some no doubt but not a war chest. He certainly isn't going to go back to the bloated squad he inherited nor will he block the pathway from the Academy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chinapig said:

Hasn't Nigel said that if we sell Alex we won't then be spending big money? He'll get some no doubt but not a war chest. He certainly isn't going to go back to the bloated squad he inherited nor will he block the pathway from the Academy.

He did indeed.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

If you ignore Kal Naismith early career as a winger, he’s a CB….he’s not played much in midfield across his career.

FWIW whilst it feels like a right and left foot pairing is the optimal pairing, it really depends on the individual.  Kalas is absolutely fine playing left side, body shape / position is perfect for receiving passes, and also shows his man inside when being attacked.  Bailey Wright looked all at sea at LCB2.

All makes sense Dave.  Arguably we don't need to sign anyone else really.  People's opinions about the GK situation are just guesses.  Max is clearly good enough despite what some think.  Pat Mountain might be eulogising about Harvey Wiles-Richards for all we know.  Telling Nige he's going to be a EPL player no doubt.  Just needs his chance and he'll supplant Max.  If not then we get a keeper in who is proven and not too expensive.

Look logically at the outfield squad without Scott and we have 2 proven CBs fit plus 5 others who can cover the position. 2 LBs with emergency in Naismith. 2 RBs with emergency in Sykes, and Knight (he played there last season for Derby).  That is plenty of cover and when Atkinson is fit we have 3 bona fide championship CBs not including Naismith.  

CM is plentiful even without Scott.  James, Knight, Williams, Naismith, King plus OTC.  Then there are 7 attacking players covering 4 positions. plus Benarous.  

Given Nige has held his nerve when we were in a far worse position previously, I don't see us buying anyone unless they've been lined up for some time.

If we sign someone, it will be because we've given up on Vyner or Pring not signing new deals and they will soon be sold.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Imagine trying to sign a player of Scott’s ability, imagine the transfer fee, imagine the wages required.

It’s high numbers and it’s a high risk but he’s the bit of star quality, the player that can create something out of nothing that makes you believe promotion is within reach.

Now think we’ve already got him, affordable wages and we aren’t in a position of needing to sell.

Now think we’ve just had a season that’s saw the growth of a bunch of young talent that have went from strength to strength at this level.

Now think we’ve invested well, got some solid early signings, recruited in the right areas, whilst also increasing our strength in depth.

Now think we’ve got a manager that has experience of getting promoted out of this division.

We have reason to believe promotion is on the cards this season.

I would be absolutely devastated if Scott went for a penny less than £20m. He’s an exceptional talent, destined to go to the very top and in with a great chance of playing for England some day. 

If he’s going, I sure hope we get a very, very good fee. £20m as an absolute minimum and it should only fall short of £25m if Scott expresses his desire to depart.

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He did indeed.

And not sure I can think of plausible options that wouldn’t risk wage structure/team ethos, would want to come to us and also cost (say) £10m. If we got £25m, probably sensible to pop £15m in the bank or invest more in what’s becoming a very successful academy etc, rather than feel obliged to spend the money on first team marquee players. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A highly knowledgeable fan whom we , I think, all appreciate and whose opinion is valued. 

But your prediction as to the benefits of selling doesn’t to me make any kind of sense from a supporter’s point of view 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It will be interesting to see how it all works out. A lot of people assume we won’t be using Naismith as a CB but as you quite rightly say he’s rarely played in midfield throughout his career.

Would it really make sense to sign another LCB when we have Naismith, obviously big Rob when fit, McCrorie can play either side in a 2 and I also believe Dickie could play as a LCB although not as comfortably as the others mentioned. Roberts/Pring could if stretched as well and who knows, Araoye may yet emerge.

I think our signings so far have given us flexibility. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The Bard said:

All makes sense Dave.  Arguably we don't need to sign anyone else really.  People's opinions about the GK situation are just guesses.  Max is clearly good enough despite what some think.  Pat Mountain might be eulogising about Harvey Wiles-Richards for all we know.  Telling Nige he's going to be a EPL player no doubt.  Just needs his chance and he'll supplant Max.  If not then we get a keeper in who is proven and not too expensive.

Look logically at the outfield squad without Scott and we have 2 proven CBs fit plus 5 others who can cover the position. 2 LBs with emergency in Naismith. 2 RBs with emergency in Sykes, and Knight (he played there last season for Derby).  That is plenty of cover and when Atkinson is fit we have 3 bona fide championship CBs not including Naismith.  

CM is plentiful even without Scott.  James, Knight, Williams, Naismith, King plus OTC.  Then there are 7 attacking players covering 4 positions. plus Benarous.  

Given Nige has held his nerve when we were in a far worse position previously, I don't see us buying anyone unless they've been lined up for some time.

If we sign someone, it will be because we've given up on Vyner or Pring not signing new deals and they will soon be sold.

I like the idea of running with a relatively small squad but personally think we are currently a centre back short unless we are very confident that Atkinson is going to be back in contention soon. I would not be at all surprised if we went back for O’Brien of Palace.

If we see Naismith as a CB then should Scott go I’d definitely expect another midfielder to arrive, looking at your list once you get beyond James & Knight you have Williams with a less than stellar availability record, King, who will be 35 fairly soon & Taylor-Clarke who has looked miles off the standard in several of his appearances.

It is some leap of faith to go with Wiles-Richards as our regular back up keeper, I expect we’ll take a proper look at him in the friendlies but he has no senior experience at all. Bajic is the key for me, if he stays we’ll probably go with what we have, if he moves on then I’d expect a more experienced deputy for Max to join.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

A highly knowledgeable fan whom we , I think, all appreciate and whose opinion is valued. 

But your prediction as to the benefits of selling doesn’t to me make any kind of sense from a supporter’s point of view 

Thanks GF ❤️

I don’t disagree. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Less…because you don’t get the income from the playoffs.  Perverse isn’t it!

The £25m was quoted (many times) without there being a bid…and lots of interest.  If that interest hasn’t quite materialised, then it’s no shame if we end up having to accept less, whatever the amount becomes.  It’s encouraging we turned down £18m from Wolves, and I don’t expect that wasn’t put out there for a reason.

Wolves do there bidding in private (possibly)

Bournemouth tend to play their’s out in the media, so someone has dropped in Wolves bid for a good reason!!!

Yes, sort of agree, I think Nige “hoped” nobody would come knocking…but now they have, he’ll accept whatever happens.

Andy - this is the most ever, ever, ever, ever….ever, I’ve agreed with you! ???

I am going to print this quote off and frame it sir ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

How do you know he wants to leave?

I think there is a big difference between “wanting to leave” and “looking for the next step of your development and career”

I don’t believe this lad will follow the coin. Any move will have to be 100% right for his football career 

Plus - this is a lad who fully recognises the fact this club has opened the door of opportunity for him 

As I said - there is a mutual respect and understanding there 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My view is we are probably there…and we might look at the succession plan / project for James / Williams / Naismith.  It is why I wanted Archie Collins (as well as Knight).  I think Mehmeti is the no10 option, with Weimann probably gonna be the first choice.

I’m the same as you. I think we’re there or there about. My only issue is Max. I really do think we need a better keeper. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Liverpool, once credited with an interest, are about the receive a windfall with selling Henderson and Fabinho. I know they have already signed two midfielders but I assume that was always their plan. Could the additional cash maybe tempt them into looking at Scott?

Also they have already lost Keita and Milner from their midfield. Also talk of Thiago leaving in this window as well.

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Liverpool, once credited with an interest, are about the receive a windfall with selling Henderson and Fabinho. I know they have already signed two midfielders but I assume that was always their plan. Could the additional cash maybe tempt them into looking at Scott?

Why are we touting this boy around? Surely a supporter wants the best players to stay in their team not move somewhere else?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Why are we touting this boy around? Surely a supporter wants the best players to stay in their team not move somewhere else?

A supporter also wants to sign new players and not to rely on bailouts season after season as that tap could turn off leaving us in huge trouble,

While the clubs loses upward of 18 to 20 million a season then we will always have to sell our best player much like 90 other clubs in the football league (man City have been omitted and we may add Newcastle to that soon),

Take Jason Knight, one of Derby's best players, they had to sell due to financial circumstances and where we are in the food chain in relation to them currently,

Thats the same with us and Scott going to a prem club,

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It certainly becomes a possibility that they may look at Scott due to their increasing need to achieve homegrown status. 

They were already close to the minimum requirement, and Henderson’s departure would only enhance their need to recruit players that have progressed through homegrown academies.

27 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Touting only because the management realise what a gem Scott is.

To keep him much longer denies him the improvement he'll get from playing in the Premiership. The rest of the squad probably isn't good enough to make a real challenge yet even though many fans are feeling quite confident.

So we are looking to sell him for top current price to be able to recruit maybe two or three more who will improve us considerably.

So we lose an apparently top of the range player to increase the quality of the rest of the squad.

To keep him, ultimately, against his will will be disastrous. Scott will never be an Atyeo, staying here for his whole career. If we are to survive as a club long term, it has to be in the Prem and we should stop allowing the things like Luton to make a mint instead of us!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

It certainly becomes a possibility that they may look at Scott due to their increasing need to achieve homegrown status. 

They were already close to the minimum requirement, and Henderson’s departure would only enhance their need to recruit players that have progressed through homegrown academies.

Lavia would be next cab off the rank there and I've read he is homegrown but Van Den Berg is now homegrown but has been loaned out which moves it again a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

A supporter also wants to sign new players and not to rely on bailouts season after season as that tap could turn off leaving us in huge trouble,

While the clubs loses upward of 18 to 20 million a season then we will always have to sell our best player much like 90 other clubs in the football league (man City have been omitted and we may add Newcastle to that soon),

Take Jason Knight, one of Derby's best players, they had to sell due to financial circumstances and where we are in the food chain in relation to them currently,

Thats the same with us and Scott going to a prem club,

Or we , by retaining our best players, win promotion and make a profit each year, Negative people have a problem for every solution ?

• Thanks 1