IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

All unrelated and none are forwards, as you know. Apparently we needed the money to stay within FFP, so we could hardly have spent it, as we won’t this time, and next when they flog Conway at the first opportunity.

No they aren't, without selling semenyo who couldn't get into the team regularly I may add, as well as not lighting up the prem

None of the others would of been signed as we couldn't afford them, and if thay were the case you'd be here moaning about not strengthening

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Mehmeti and Cornick not forwards? 

I think you'll find the Semenyo money has been spent on those players and their wages. 

Lansdown has previously said that any money the football club makes it can spend. 

I'm starting to smell gas.

Mehmeti, attacking midfield/ winger, Cornick, not from what I saw, best position, journeyman possibly?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No they aren't, without selling semenyo who couldn't get into the team regularly I may add, as well as not lighting up the prem

None of the others would of been signed as we couldn't afford them, and if thay were the case you'd be here moaning about not strengthening

So you think we are stronger with Cornick up front than with Semenyo? Really ???

10 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Mehmeti, attacking midfield/ winger, Cornick, not from what I saw, best position, journeyman possibly?

Semenyo was a winger/striker who we played more as an inside forward which which is what Cornick is!
 Remember Semenyo wasn’t exactly pulling up trees in his first couple of seasons either! 

Honestly not sure if you’re a troll! 

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

So you think we are stronger with Cornick up front than with Semenyo? Really ???

You clearly aren't taking in what other posters are saying. Selling one player in a team of 11 and recruiting multiple other players to strengthen the team as a whole surely is a positive.

So would you have preferred for no sell of Semenyo. He goes on a free but we get him for the duration of his contract.

We have no headroom financially for transfers to further benefit the team, we then do the same with Alex Scott and again utilise another unhappy passenger for the duration of their contract and subsequently miss another opportunity to bring in money to reinvest in the squad.

I for one wouldn't want any of that potential scenario. Your viewpoint seems very blinkered to say the least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

So Bournemouth and Burnley, to get promoted kept their key talent, rather than sell, despite financial concerns. Would it not be wonderful if Bristol City could for once show the same ambition . 

And yes, I will continue to bang on 

Bournemouth blasted FFP to get to the EPL originally and were fined, iirc.

Burnley had lower overheads and we're debt free when first relegated from the Prem under Dyche and correctly used parachutes to offset their wages with only a couple sold. Same again this season although slightly more so due to change of identity.

Luton and Brentford are the case studies for us. Imo.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Hang on, previous posts suggested we should take less than we wanted from Bournemouth because no other bids had been recieved and that there was no other interest in Scott and that there wouldn't be a bidding war. 

I know we’ve disagreed over the bidding war, but that’s because people have said we’d accept then renege, like an auction (which it’s not)…which we won’t do…if we’ve said it’s £25m (I’ve no idea) then if someone offers that we will accept it.  We haven’t accepted anything, nor have we then accepted something higher, and in it goes.

All posters are doing is having their view based on the info at hand.  Probably their biggest problem is impatience.

As it stands we are rejecting offers (formal or not).  So far we’ve only heard of two - Wolves £18m rejected, then Bournemouth £15m rejected - we heard them the other way round, but that wasn’t the order City received them.  My gut feel is that they thought Wolves had gone as far as they would and tried to be clever with a lower bid.

We now hear a story that Wolves are still in this and are about to offer £20m+.  We will have to wait and see if this happens.  If it does, firstly it shows Bournemouth have misread the situation, and now will be playing catch up.  Secondly, City might reject Wolves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Bournemouth blasted FFP to get to the EPL originally and were fined, iirc.

Burnley had lower overheads and we're debt free when first relegated from the Prem under Dyche and correctly used parachutes to offset their wages with only a couple sold. Same again this season although slightly more so due to change of identity.

Luton and Brentford are the case studies for us. Imo.

Of course Brentford kept selling their best players with disastrous consequences. Imagine where they would be if they had kept those players. No ambition at all.?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know we’ve disagreed over the bidding war, but that’s because people have said we’d accept then renege, like an auction (which it’s not)…which we won’t do…if we’ve said it’s £25m (I’ve no idea) then if someone offers that we will accept it.  We haven’t accepted anything, nor have we then accepted something higher, and in it goes.

All posters are doing is having their view based on the info at hand.  Probably their biggest problem is impatience.

As it stands we are rejecting offers (formal or not).  So far we’ve only heard of two - Wolves £18m rejected, then Bournemouth £15m rejected - we heard them the other way round, but that wasn’t the order City received them.  My gut feel is that they thought Wolves had gone as far as they would and tried to be clever with a lower bid.

We now hear a story that Wolves are still in this and are about to offer £20m+.  We will have to wait and see if this happens.  If it does, firstly it shows Bournemouth have misread the situation, and now will be playing catch up.  Secondly, City might reject Wolves.

Very true! It's all hypotheticals at this stage. Trying to piece things together and guess what happens next is the fun bit!

That Wolves news is a big twist in the tale.

• Like 2

If this is true & Percy is very good, it certainly puts Bournemouth in a different position.

Pretty sure Scott would pick Wolves over them if they both offer the same fee, puts them under pressure to either increase the offer or look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

If this is true & Percy is very good, it certainly puts Bournemouth in a different position.

Pretty sure Scott would pick Wolves over them if they both offer the same fee, puts them under pressure to either increase the offer or look elsewhere.

Interesting, isnt it!

I'll state the obvious; hopefully the pressure on Bournemouth forces them to fast track their bidding to close to asking price!

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Interesting, isnt it!

I'll state the obvious; hopefully the pressure on Bournemouth forces them to fast track their bidding to close to asking price!

That’s what’ll happen, whether it’s wolves or Bournemouth that break first. Think it was worth holding on to see who else would get involved.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Interesting, isnt it!

If this is true, it appears the only way they’ll sign him now.

I don’t think the vast majority of clubs being mentioned on here are interested, but even if it’s just the two it improves our hand.

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why do you think that?

They are a significantly bigger club, with far better support & ground & Lopetegui is a top ranked coach who has been in charge of Spain, Real Madrid, Seville & Porto & obviously really wants him.

Just my view, maybe Bournemouth’s location is an advantage but otherwise they’re basically Luton with more money.

• Like 9

Wolves and Bournemouth will be in a relegation battle all season. Only one of them will stay up due to Luton and sheff utd being that much worse. I don’t think either are good clubs for Scott to move to. Surely needs to be a Brighton or West Ham, maybe even villa 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BLRed said:

Wolves and Bournemouth will be in a relegation battle all season. Only one of them will stay up due to Luton and sheff utd being that much worse. I don’t think either are good clubs for Scott to move to. Surely needs to be a Brighton or West Ham, maybe even villa 

I think you'll find Everton are in a worse situation than both those two, and then you have teams like, Burnley, Forest, Palace who will be probably in the scrap to stay up as well

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If this is true, it appears the only way they’ll sign him now.

I don’t think the vast majority of clubs being mentioned on here are interested, but even if it’s just the two it improves our hand.

Yeah agreed. Would be great to have one more club in the mix though!

10 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Wolves enter the race. Hopefully we can hook one more club waiting in the wings and push the price towards the mid twenties. Ideally this should be done in the next 7 days to ensure it doesn't distract too much from pre season plans. 

Wolves https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/07/15/wolves-alex-scott-bristol-city-20-million-transfer/

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The Wolves news vindicates the stance the club have taken to this point. Exactly what they were hoping for.

It also proves my point about Wolves’ FFP position earlier in this thread, at which time others naively dismissed it. They’ve clearly brought in enough revenue already to potentially fund this deal. Wolves would be a much better option than AFCB. 

• Like 6