IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

22 minutes ago, Malago said:

Wolves are submitting a £20 million-plus bid for Bristol City midfielder Alex Scott, as Julen Lopetegui makes a major push to capture the highly-rated England under-20 international.

Scott is a prime target for Lopetegui this summer and Wolves are ready to make a second improved offer which will be closer to the Championship club’s strict £25 million valuation.

Wolves had an opening proposal worth £18 million knocked back earlier this month but a new offer is imminent for one of English football’s brightest young talents, who was named the Championship’s Young Player of the Season.

Lopetegui, the Wolves head coach, is completely behind the pursuit of Scott and believes the teenager can have a significant impact in the Premier League.

Scott was previously on Wolves’s radar before Lopetegui’s appointment in November, but the Basque coach is understood to have been vastly impressed by his potential since taking a closer look.

Wolves do face serious competition, however, with Bournemouth already having a bid rejected last week.

Above from today’s Sunday Telegraph.

You are 3 pages late. :)

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Which part of Bristol City value the player at 25 million don’t these clubs understand ? 
If City want 25 million it seems to me that they should have valued him at 35 million. 

I get what you are saying, but maybe, just maybe, we valued him at £20m plus all along and therefore said £25m?

At the end of the day any player is worth what others will pay for him. Increasingly looks like we will not be far away.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Malago said:

Wolves are submitting a £20 million-plus bid for Bristol City midfielder Alex Scott, as Julen Lopetegui makes a major push to capture the highly-rated England under-20 international.

Scott is a prime target for Lopetegui this summer and Wolves are ready to make a second improved offer which will be closer to the Championship club’s strict £25 million valuation.

Wolves had an opening proposal worth £18 million knocked back earlier this month but a new offer is imminent for one of English football’s brightest young talents, who was named the Championship’s Young Player of the Season.

Lopetegui, the Wolves head coach, is completely behind the pursuit of Scott and believes the teenager can have a significant impact in the Premier League.

Scott was previously on Wolves’s radar before Lopetegui’s appointment in November, but the Basque coach is understood to have been vastly impressed by his potential since taking a closer look.

Wolves do face serious competition, however, with Bournemouth already having a bid rejected last week.

Above from today’s Sunday Telegraph.

Did you put it in massive font to try to reach 100 pages?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Did you put it in massive font to try to reach 100 pages?

My question is if the lad does stay for one more season with us does everyone think this will give us automatic promotion. Or if he leaves for greater prospects does this mean we can only hope for a playoff spot.

whatever the money is floating around is irrelevant as NP and team would have done their sums.

I hope he stays but what a prospect he has become for any future club lucky enough grab him.

I wish him all the luck whatever he does, and I hope he and his family are involved in his future prospects,

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Which part of Bristol City value the player at 25 million don’t these clubs understand ? 
If City want 25 million it seems to me that they should have valued him at 35 million. 

I see what you're getting at Major. The low ball stuff but in practice we'll try and get the most we can and clubs will try to lever him out as cheaply as possible.

Certainly a club or clubs might look to test the water at <£25m, likewise we're under no obligation to accept as shown by the two rejected bids.

Suppose bidding clubs might be hoping that a player in that scenario gets unsettled, puts in a transfer request maybe etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No

Only if there is a loan back,

I was also thinking about those moaning about selling our best players,

Where were we in the league with both Scott and semenyo in the side? Because it wasn't challenging for the play-offs, so keeping those 2 and not strengthening how does that suddenly make us promotion contenders....it doesn't,

You sacrifice 1 exceptional player and sign 3 or 4 great players with the cash and suddenly your team is alot better 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Going public so early with Scott's valuation was a very smart move from City. It sets expectation for all involved, the player included, and firmly puts the pressure on potential suitors to put up, or shut up. 

You can already see on social media fans of Wolves and Bournemouth getting frustrated with their clubs and asking them to just cough up what's required. 

We've been crystal clear on our valuation of Scott, and the club will hold firm, and not accept a penny less.

If Scott's take changed, could that change the dynamic? Or is he on board with £25m baseline?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Only if there is a loan back,

I was also thinking about those moaning about selling our best players,

Where were we in the league with both Scott and semenyo in the side? Because it wasn't challenging for the play-offs, so keeping those 2 and not strengthening how does that suddenly make us promotion contenders....it doesn't,

You sacrifice 1 exceptional player and sign 3 or 4 great players with the cash and suddenly your team is alot better 

There is no chance of this happening in my view. Wolves, Bournemouth whoever are not going to spend £20million plus on the championship player of the year to loan him straight back out again. 

I don’t think that would be beneficial for Alex either 

• Like 13

When the very big clubs, such as Liverpool, are mentioned in regards to Scott it's not how they operate. It's the middle to struggling Premier League sides that cough up the dough to take on rising talent with no previous Prem experience.

A mate of mine made a good point to illustrate this the other day. Virgil van Dijik was superb for Celtic and went to Southampton for £13M. Yet Liverpool knew of him at the time and how good he was but weren't interested. Then with a couple of years Prem experience under his belt they splashed out £75M. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Scott end up at one of the top clubs in the country for £60M plus in two or three years but via the stepping stone of a West Ham, Wolves or Bournemouth first. Therefore, it is essential that City add a sell on percentage even if it's only 15% as that could add £6M to say an upfront fee of £22M now. 

• Like 6

Just now, handsofclay said:

When the very big clubs, such as Liverpool, are mentioned in regards to Scott it's not how they operate. It's the middle to struggling Premier League sides that cough up the dough to take on rising talent with no previous Prem experience.

A mate of mine made a good point to illustrate this the other day. Virgil van Dijik was superb for Celtic and went to Southampton for £13M. Yet Liverpool knew of him at the time and how good he was but weren't interested. Then with a couple of years Prem experience under his belt they splashed out £75M. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Scott end up at one of the top clubs in the country for £60M plus in two or three years but via the stepping stone of a West Ham, Wolves or Bournemouth first. Therefore, it is essential that City add a sell on percentage even if it's only 15% as that could add £6M to say an upfront fee of £22M now. 

Sell on fee will be guaranteed, nobody leaves the club without 1.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We’ve already recruited those 4 - Dickie, McCrorie, Roberts and Knight!  You could call it 6 if you include Mehmeti and Cornick.

I don’t think we recruit another 3 or 4.  

• Like 14

Just now, Davefevs said:

We’ve already recruited those 4 - Dickie, McCrorie, Roberts and Knight!  You could call it 6 if you include Mehmeti and Cornick.

I'm in agreement with you, Davefevs. It keeps being mentioned that we have recruited those players on the back of the Semenyo money, but I believe it's a combination of that and the anticipated Scott money. If we recruit further it will be one or two additions at most.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, if you look back, the way we’ve operated our transfer activity over the past couple of seasons has been very smart - culminating in selling Semenyo in Jan to allow us to bring in the players we have so that if/when Alex does leave, we are not having to pay over the odds for players…..

Our squad looks to be so much stronger than it was 12 months ago, even without Alex, should he leave….

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I'm in agreement with you, Davefevs. It keeps being mentioned that we have recruited those players on the back of the Semenyo money, but I believe it's a combination of that and the anticipated Scott money. If we recruit further it will be one or two additions at most.

It will be interesting to see how much more friendly game time Araoye gets and whether it's enough for them to think he could be sufficient cover for Atkinson who looks on schedule for a Dec/Jan return.

It could save us bringing in another defender at least until January.

• Like 2

Now that West Ham have much more money to spend, let the bidding war begin in earnest.

Scott under the hammer(s)?

Sold ! 

To the highest bidder.  Which could now, quite probably, be West Ham.

Only thing to be ironed out then, will be personal terms,

Will hate to see him go, but if it means we spend the proceeds well, and challenge strongly for promotion. I'd be more than happy.

• Like 1

I'm more concerned with who's going to be the first person to go to page 100. Do they win a prize?

On the actual topic. I could be wrong but i don't see West Ham splashing the Rice cash. They'll know that people know they have that money and so won't be wanting to pay the high fees that they'll be challenged to cough up. 

Queue £25 million bid on the nose ?

1 hour ago, Globe Trotter said:

There is no chance of this happening in my view. Wolves, Bournemouth whoever are not going to spend £20million plus on the championship player of the year to loan him straight back out again. 

I don’t think that would be beneficial for Alex either 

I'm not suggesting it will, it's the only way I think he will be with us for the forthcoming season however that's all

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The point dave I was making is, that we sold semenyo in order to recruit those, Scott will be the same, all though the recruitment won't be this window in my opinion it will be in Jan and next summer

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The point dave I was making is, that we sold semenyo in order to recruit those, Scott will be the same, all though the recruitment won't be this window in my opinion it will be in Jan and next summer

Yes, it sets us up for future windows and reduces the need to sell the next one too.

• Like 1

In terms of first team performance this season, wonder if AS sale will be simply a negative (lack of AS), with the vast majority of squad/team improvement coming from a combination of getting excess players and wages off the books over the last couple of years, plus the money from the Semenyo sale? Not convinced we’d have anticipated AS money in any of our business to date given conservative (and sensible) approach to FFP in recent times. 

Think the business we have done makes us significantly stronger than last season, but AS clearly strengthens us. Don’t think this is a reason not to sell though, player will want (and deserve) his crack at the Prem and the money can be used effectively still. But maybe a bit late to do much more business without being ripped off. Puts us in a good place for future sustainability, Jan window if needed and maybe investing more in a very successful academy.

Did think we might want more goal scoring firepower to support TC, but I’ve extrapolated a couple of mins of highlights vs National league south to a new ‘goals from everywhere’ strategy, so reneging on that view. 

Think the most crucial individuals in the squad (based on their ability, but critically also their cover or lack of):

Max O’L

Rob A

Matty J

We’ve some sort of cover for all of them and if we brought 3 more in would we start to look a bit bloated as a squad? Whilst we’ve seen youngsters forced to make their mark in recent seasons due to lack of options, being in a better place squad wise doesn’t make the principle of youngsters getting their chance wrong. Can see Araoye, Palmer-Houlden and maybe others being there or thereabouts. 

That’s a long way of saying, maybe no one else comes in post AS sale. 

• Like 1