IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Any fan of another club complaining about your turning down offers is an idiot. You're perfectly within your rights and good on you for doing so.

At the same time, it's pretty standard practise in football to try different offers rather than simply going in at the asking price and so I'm not sure why you're getting upset by it. All any other club is doing is delaying and allowing the interest of other clubs to come into play if they were to miss out on another target. It isn't bad news for you. However, if I recall correctly, there was a higher original asking price on Semenyo and we eventually settled on somewhere in between.

It sounds like you're now on a very sound financial footing so can afford to be strong. At the same time, if a club can shave even a million of the price they will try it. There's this belief sometimes that there is unlimited money in the Premier League and so a million here or there doesn't matter but, once you've paid PL wages to a squad of players, and allowing for the fact that most teams need multiple recruits trying to strike as good a deal on each one is essential. Unless you're one of the special few clubs who have completely different level budgets but they don't seem to be coming in for Scott.

Seems like you're going to get your asking price on him but there will be plenty of deals done this summer where teams meet somewhere in the middle. That isn't an attempt to insult anyone, purely business being business.

Edited by Kirsikka
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, Kirsikka said:

Any fan of another club complaining about your turning down offers is an idiot. You're perfectly within your rights and good on you for doing so.

At the same time, it's pretty standard practise in football to try different offers rather than simply going in at the asking price and so I'm not sure why you're getting upset by it. All any other club is doing is delaying and allowing the interest of other clubs to come into play if they were to miss out on another target. It isn't bad news for you. However, if I recall correctly, there was a higher original asking price on Semenyo and we eventually settled on somewhere in between.

It sounds like you're now on a very sound financial footing so can afford to be strong. At the same time, if a club can shave even a million of the price they will try it. There's this belief sometimes that there is unlimited money in the Premier League and so a million here or there doesn't matter but, once you've paid PL wages to a squad of players, and allowing for the fact that most teams need multiple recruits trying to strike as good a deal on each one is essential. Unless you're one of the special few clubs who have completely different level budgets but they don't seem to be coming in for Scott.

Seems like you're going to get your asking price on him but there will be plenty of deals done this summer where teams meet somewhere in the middle. That isn't an attempt to insult anyone, purely business being business.

Apart from Derby, they were idiots for turning our offers down ?

6 minutes ago, Kirsikka said:

if I recall correctly, there was a higher original asking price on Semenyo and we eventually settled on somewhere in between.

I don't recall us going public on our valuation as we have with Alex. You certainly made more than one offer but when the deal was done we announced that you had met our valuation.

Though transfers are all smoke and mirrors of course.

21 minutes ago, Kirsikka said:

Toing and froing is all part of the game and business as you say but I wonder maybe it's more fan led, or some online forum fans even and for balance some on social media are just saying pay the £25m so it's a mix, but a portion perhaps subconsciously or otherwise maybe believe that the lower ranked non PL club should be the one to give more ground.

That I think is what grates a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

36 minutes ago, cheese said:

Just been to Tesco - they're mucking me about, I offered them £3.50 for a steak they had marked at £6.50 but they refused.  Well, I'm not playing their game of chicken so I left.

I also went in Tesco and looked for the steaks but they were on the top shelf and cost a lot of money

I left as the steaks were too high

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I tried the Bournemouth tactic for a laugh and offered Tesla £30k for a £50k model Y.

Didn't get it for some reason. ?

Did they pull the plug on the deal?

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Kirsikka said:

At the same time, it's pretty standard practise in football to try different offers rather than simply going in at the asking price and so I'm not sure why you're getting upset by it.

Thanks for the explaination. I’m sure none of us were aware of that. I don’t think any of us are upset by the bidding approach of a couple of minor Premiership clubs - just amused. Contrary to popular belief people in our part of the world no longer have straw between our teeth (or ears) and right now we’re in the driving seat (albeit of a tractor).

Whether we sell Scotty or not, either way we’ll be the winners. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2

58 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'£30k? Watt'? ?

Sorry, EV joke.

Currently the best reply!:whistle2:

For the OTIB pedants I know that current is measured in amps not watts!

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Please tell me a media outlet didn't get duped by that fake tweet yesterday!

Somebody asked earlier why people make fake profiles?

There's your answer. Supposedly credible media organisations getting duped like that will never not be funny. That's what happens when they're desperate for clicks and don't do any checking of their sources.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Thanks for the explaination. I’m sure none of us were aware of that. I don’t think any of us are upset by the bidding approach of a couple of minor Premiership clubs - just amused. Contrary to popular belief people in our part of the world no longer have straw between our teeth (or ears) and right now we’re in the driving seat (albeit of a tractor).

Whether we sell Scotty or not, either way we’ll be the winners. 

You say that, and yet reading through this thread...

Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go and wash the sand out of my hair and get to my job in an old people's home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I also don't like people holding Bournemouth ffp breach against howe,

It's nothing to do with howe, he doesn't set the budgets, he spends them, those setting the budgets and doing the accounts are at fault,

Howe I think is a top top coach and a future England manager if he wants that job,

He has done a very good job at Newcastle 

Obviously my comment about Howe/FFP was said very much tongue in cheek. We all know it's part of a Manager's brief to ask for more and more, whether that's money, players training ground or whatever. It is clearly the accountant's job to see that a Club doesn't break FFP and an owner's or CEO's to try and break it without penalty :whistle2:

• Like 1