IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

Typically a percentage of an agreed value, so no not for the full potential, but a method of mitigating risk.

My point however, is if you use the “ he might” argument, you always sell every talented player at the first opportunity, in case “he might”. In my opinion you will not win anything unless you take some risk, in this case that Alex Scott as a City player could help us in a promotion push, and if successful the financial rewards will dwarf the proceeds of selling him now.

The accountants on here say we don’t have to sell this year, so why not have some ambition and keep Alex for this coming season and go for it, we may even match the mighty Luton Town ?

Possibly, could, maybe, who knows.

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because for the billionanth time, we can't stand in the players way, how many times do you have to be told this

Sell Scott and we set the club up for the next five years,

Keeping Scott doesn't garentee us promotion, the team as it stands isn't as strong as Leeds, Middlesborough,  Millwall, Southampton, Leicester, Sunderland that's just six teams who should finish above us, without further strengthening of City's squad,

We finished mid table, we've added players but so has everyone else,

You seem to fail the very basics of economics with regards to ffp and club finances 

With Scott in the side its still doubtful we will finish top 6 and if we do, it's even more doubtful we would win the play offs as this club has never done that,

It is even less likely we'd finish top 2 

Ah wouldn’t football be so easy if it was played on paper..

• Like 4

I disagree with those who way we can go at the top 2, however a crack at the playoffs- why shouldn't we believe we have a chance of this.

At least contenders- if you look at the positives there are a fair few to take.

The injury situation needs to improve further, I think we are a Goalie to really push or supersde O'Leary and a Centre Back light but at the same time FFP limits everyone. Perhaps we can stretch to one of these, not both.

Bit of luck with officiating wouldn't go amiss either.

In respect of Scott if we don't get the bid perhaps he stays, if we do get bids that match or exceed our valuation I dunno even if I think one more development year here could serve him well especially as this is the strongest most cohesive City side he will have played in.

Once the wages from a richer and higher ranked club come on offer as the higher profile will keeping him be realistic?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

According to my understanding this is a forum where we , Bristol City fans, can debate our opinions, and not a mouth piece for a select group of accountants to which the rest of us must pay homage.

So , for the “billionanth “ time , I don’t agree with your opinion, which I find to be small minded at best.

To reiterate,

According to the arch bishop of our accountant clique, Mr Pop , we will not fall foul of FFP if we don’t sell Scott this season 

Having Scott in our side must improve our chances of promotion.

We have excellent facilities in terms of the ground, training, medical centre , academy etc

We have a top Manager

We have a number of young players who I would expect to improve from last year’s “ blooding”

We have strengthened, particularly in defence

yes, there are no guarantees, but there is room for informed hope, and a calculated gamble this year. 

You win nothing without ambition 

To be fair GF - the point with regards to "stand in the players way" is not Monkeh's opinion or "mouthpiece" spiel from a "group of accountants"; but a partial quote of words that are attributable to our very owner.

While I can see youor viewpoint, I don't think its as black and white or small minded to be thinking about selling Scott. I don't think it was small minded when we did it with Bryan, Reid or Webster.

It just may be worth taking into consideration that we have chance here to completely wipe the FFP slate sparkling clean; as well as.spend on improving not just the midfield, but get a keeper, defender, and forward options if we so feel. For example, is we sell Scott now instead of next Summer for £15m - it may avoid us needing to sell a second player to balance costs - so better squad depth and planning for the longer term.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

To be fair GF - the point with regards to "stand in the players way" is not Monkeh's opinion or "mouthpiece" spiel from a "group of accountants"; but a partial quote of words that are attributable to our very owner.

While I can see youor viewpoint, I don't think its as black and white or small minded to be thinking about selling Scott. I don't think it was small minded when we did it with Bryan, Reid or Webster.

It just may be worth taking into consideration that we have chance here to completely wipe the FFP slate sparkling clean; as well as.spend on improving not just the midfield, but get a keeper, defender, and forward options if we so feel. For example, is we sell Scott now instead of next Summer for £15m - it may avoid us needing to sell a second player to balance costs - so better squad depth and planning for the longer term.

Fuber, I understand your point of view, which you state well, the “small minded “ comment was directed at Monkey, not the view, in response to his attitude to me expressing my view. I make no apology for this.

So no , it is not black and white, but the rewards of promotion, both financially and emotionally for us as fans, well, would be good , wouldn’t it .

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

IMO showing "ambition" could also be attributed to selling one (admittedly very good) player and strengthening the squad in several positions - it is a gamble to do this, in that we lose a great player, but it is also making the most of the opportunity to do it on our own terms.

• Like 1

Just now, cityal said:

IMO showing "ambition" could also be attributed to selling one (admittedly very good) player and strengthening the squad in several positions - it is a gamble to do this, in that we lose a great player, but it is also making the most of the opportunity to do it on our own terms.

Showing ambition has nothing to do with not selling players.  It's to do with being smart, making decisions with a medium to long term goal

• Like 2

Small note, seen a few Wolves fans on Twitter suggest today that he has been seen..

At The Mount Hotel, Wolverhampton 2-3 Tweets say this. Any credibility who knows. 

My guess would he perhaps not but you can never rule anything out 100 pct..for it to be kept so under wraps would be a bit unusual however. Seems unlikely to me.

Probably the equivalent of Curbishley in Avon Gorge tbh! ?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Good post. The recent discussions come down to two clear pathways.

Do we sell Scott now, bring in two or three to give us at least two per position, who are better than existing squad in the key positions. This costing more to recruit, probably higher wages and may or may not, dilute the team spirit?

If we don't sell Scott until next summer, we may not get as much for him then and lose the chance to build a better all round squad. That could actually delay our chances of promotion this season?

My opinion is that I believe Pearson would prefer to move Scott on now, add a couple more and improve our chances this year.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't if we don't get into the top six/two after 46 games.

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Because for the billionanth time, we can't stand in the players way, how many times do you have to be told this

Keeping Scott doesn't garentee us promotion, the team as it stands isn't as strong as Leeds, Middlesborough,  Millwall, Southampton, Leicester, Sunderland that's just six teams who should finish above us, without further strengthening of City's squad,

You seem to fail the very basics of economics with regards to ffp and club finances 

With Scott in the side its still doubtful we will finish top 6 and if we do, it's even more doubtful we would win the play offs as this club has never done that,

Let’s just give up now then ?. For the billionth time, building a winning team isn’t just about having thing most expensive players or the most technical. Hand on heart, did you expect Luton to get promoted last year? Didn’t think so. 

Let’s have some faith, shall we? Having Alex Scott in the side surely gives us a better chance of promotion. There is always next year for the books to be balanced. Let’s actually dare to dream and there is absolutely no reason why this current squad with Alex Scott in it can’t gain promotion. 

So you can stick your negative, passive aggressive, belittling post where the sun doesn’t shine.

COYRs 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I agree with most of this, but football is weird. Just because a team is better than us, doesn't mean they will finish above us. We could finish any position, from 1st to 24th with the team we have. We could sell Scott and finish 1st to 24th.  It's all a gamble. Personally, as much as I would love him to stay, I do think it would be better for Alex if he made the step up - better coaching, better standard of opposition, better standard of team-mates to learn from.... but he has to make the right choice - I'm not sure if Wolves or Bournemouth are the right choice. If he went, I'm sure NP would strengthen the squad with players who would maximize our chances at a high finish. If he stays, maybe he'll help us up, maybe he won't.

Edit: For what it's worth, I think we can at least make the playoffs with or without Alex in the side.

Edited by BritAbroad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't understand where the ideas of top two are coming from.

Might be seen as unambitious on my part but it just seems too big a leap to me. Cards just feel stacked against for too 2- although football is a strange thing, not always about the most technical or financially resourced squad.

On a slight tangent I would say Napoli are certainly superior to both Milan sides or laat season yet went out to AC who in turn lost to Inter. The best of those 3 sides went out at the earliest of the 3 rounds although Cup competitions etc.

4 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Let’s just give up now then ?. For the billionth time, building a winning team isn’t just about having thing most expensive players or the most technical. Hand on heart, did you expect Luton to get promoted last year? Didn’t think so. 

Let’s have some faith, shall we? Having Alex Scott in the side surely gives us a better chance of promotion. There is always next year for the books to be balanced. Let’s actually dare to dream and there is absolutely no reason why this current squad with Alex Scott in it can’t gain promotion. 

So you can stick your negative, passive aggressive, belittling post where the sun doesn’t shine.

COYRs 

I like to enter discussions on here from a mutual respect srand point, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i just cant see why after 8/9 years at this level with the clubs that have come down, how anyone would think we are going to fly it this season? 4 new signings, and 2 have never played in the championship as far as im aware, we have several players who if anything happens to them we are in real trouble, and theres a pretty good chance our best youth player possibly since atyeo is going to get sold. Obviously we all would love to see us replicate luton, but 8th to 12th seems much more likely, and if anything happens to conway,  well god knows?!

Edited by Simon bristol
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might be seen as unambitious on my part but it just seems too big a leap to me. Cards just feel stacked against for too 2- although football is a strange thing, not always about the most technical or financially resourced squad.

On a slight tangent I would say Napoli are certainly superior to both Milan sides or laat season yet went out to AC who in turn lost to Inter. The best of those 3 sides went out at the earliest of the 3 rounds although Cup competitions etc.

Perhaps you’re taking these comments too seriously ? Does it really matter?

it certainly takes the fun out of making predictions. Yes, I’ll be branded an idiot at the end of the season if we don’t get top two, but hey ho, I don’t care I’m going to say it anyway!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

it certainly takes the fun out of making predictions. Yes, I’ll be branded an idiot at the end of the season if we don’t get top two, but hey ho, I don’t care I’m going to say it anyway!

Its laughable - it really is.

• Like 1

Hard to see top 2 but I wouldn’t laugh at anyone who wants to stand on that opinion. Like was asked, did we think Luton would be promoted? Did we think they’d be beating Coventry to do so?

Scott a 25m player. Many think Conway can be a 20 goal man that is 15-20m minimum player. Dickie was a 10m player a season ago. Bell and Mehmeti have potential to be big players. Pring been described as one of the best LB in the division. Tell me who has a better two rbs than city? Derby all thought Knight was better than we should be able to attract. If it all comes together in a best case scenario, why can’t city be preparing for a season in the premier league this time next season? Certainly not going to tell other city fans it is laughable for wanting/believing that. 

I don’t want to sell Scott but don’t think selling him means we lack ambition. We set a price in which I think is fair for the talent he is and could be but also which is maybe hard to justify for a buying side. Point being, us sticking to the 25m(or close) is ambitious. We don’t want to sell but if you want him that bad we will take a sum which can help us be very flexible for the next 4-5 years. 

However, I do believe we are going to be smarter with buying. I don’t think selling Scott means we go on a spending spree. Not this summer or in January or even next summer. Comes down to recruitment. We get it right we’ll be ambitious. Get it wrong be called unambitious. If he was sold this summer. I do think we should be looking at 2-3 more. Maybe we are anyway but it’ll be a stick to beat the club/manager with if we don’t do well this season.

Still a gamble selling Scott. I’d rather him one more season and get half price next summer. He has a big leap in him performance wise imo. If he takes it this year, who knows where it could lead us. Worth 10-12m in lost value? That wouldn’t be able to be judged until season’s end. However, last awful FFP dropping off for us anyway after this year. Evidence is we can be smartly run now so not sure we need crazy money every summer to have a chance of getting better. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I disagree with those who way we can go at the top 2, however a crack at the playoffs- why shouldn't we believe we have a chance of this.

At least contenders- if you look at the positives there are a fair few to take.

The injury situation needs to improve further, I think we are a Goalie to really push or supersde O'Leary and a Centre Back light but at the same time FFP limits everyone. Perhaps we can stretch to one of these, not both.

Bit of luck with officiating wouldn't go amiss either.

In respect of Scott if we don't get the bid perhaps he stays, if we do get bids that match or exceed our valuation I dunno even if I think one more development year here could serve him well especially as this is the strongest most cohesive City side he will have played in.

Once the wages from a richer and higher ranked club come on offer as the higher profile will keeping him be realistic?

I think you have to go into every season believing you can win the league. You have to go into every game believing you can win every game. OK realistically we won't do either but if you have a culture of accepting mediocrity then lower half finishes are likely. 

Luton are an example of if you have the right attitude and work ethic, then anything is possible.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Small note, seen a few Wolves fans on Twitter suggest today that he has been seen..

At The Mount Hotel, Wolverhampton 2-3 Tweets say this. Any credibility who knows. 

My guess would he perhaps not but you can never rule anything out 100 pct..for it to be kept so under wraps would be a bit unusual however. Seems unlikely to me.

Probably the equivalent of Curbishley in Avon Gorge tbh! ?

Maybe he just fancied a day trip to Wolverhampton Pier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We can all say anything that we like but it is frankly delusional.

We have signed a player from the third or fourth ranked side in Scottish football, someone who had a horrendous season in our division last time out, one who played in a league one side who didn’t even reach the playoffs & a free transfer without a single championship game under his belt.

All individually look like they do add something to the squad but compared to the 5 sides with parachute payments & that’s excluding Boro & Sunderland, our squad looks top half at best, as a for instance we only have one goalkeeper who has ever played a senior game in the English league system.

People can keep quoting Luton but their recruitment, excellent though it was is entirely different, concentrating on a lot of players aged 30 or thereabouts, all experienced pros, I bet there would have been uproar on here if we had signed Lansbury, Freeman & Woodrow again.

Still, some think Scott really wants to stay another year, earn a tenth of what he can & will sign a new contract, so what can you do?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think you have to go into every season believing you can win the league. You have to go into every game believing you can win every game. OK realistically we won't do either but if you have a culture of accepting mediocrity then lower half finishes are likely. 

Luton are an example of if you have the right attitude and work ethic, then anything is possible.  

That's fair comment. I suppose if you aim for stars you maybe reach the moon.

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's fair. Maybe I am, just don't realistically think we're top two challenge eady and if there's some kinda expectation among the fans well anything is possible but it's a major swing and leap forward needed to say the least.

• Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's fair. Maybe I am, just don't realistically think we're top two challenge eady and if there's some kinda expectation among the fans well anything is possible but it's a major swing and leap forward needed to say the least.

I think that’s the whole point of being a fan though Mr Pop, after all, they do say “it’s the hope that kills you”. At the start of every season I hope, but not expect, promotion. I always start a season with that expectation. It usually gets disabused by game 3 and sometime at halftime in game 1 ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We can all say anything that we like but it is frankly delusional.

We have signed a player from the third or fourth ranked side in Scottish football, someone who had a horrendous season in our division last time out, one who played in a league one side who didn’t even reach the playoffs & a free transfer without a single championship game under his belt.

All individually look like they do add something to the squad but compared to the 5 sides with parachute payments & that’s excluding Boro & Sunderland, our squad looks top half at best, as a for instance we only have one goalkeeper who has ever played a senior game in the English league system.

People can keep quoting Luton but their recruitment, excellent though it was is entirely different, concentrating on a lot of players aged 30 or thereabouts, all experienced pros, I bet there would have been uproar on here if we had signed Lansbury, Freeman & Woodrow again.

Still, some think Scott really wants to stay another year, earn a tenth of what he can & will sign a new contract, so what can you do?

What does where we sign players have to do with where we finish? I get pessimism but taking it to a new level. What were the chances we find a 16 year old at Guernsey that 3 years later would have a 25m valuation. Where did Luton get Adebayo from? Where did Coventry get Gyrokes from? Brownhill compensation from Preston. Point is, if you get it right you can compete. You say Luton getting experienced players which is exactly what we did but can afford fees so can get younger versions.

Top 2 probably delusional but if football was so simple, go bet on your top 6 being in playoffs and make a fortune. 

And for the record not trying to come off like a *****. Just can’t fathom thinking that way going into a season. Surely you should be optimistic we can do well? 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What does where we sign players have to do with where we finish? I get pessimism but taking it to a new level. What were the chances we find a 16 year old at Guernsey that 3 years later would have a 25m valuation. Where did Luton get Adebayo from? Where did Coventry get Gyrokes from? Brownhill compensation from Preston. Point is, if you get it right you can compete. You say Luton getting experienced players which is exactly what we did but can afford fees so can get younger versions.

Top 2 probably delusional but if football was so simple, go bet on your top 6 being in playoffs and make a fortune. 

And for the record not trying to come off like a *****. Just can’t fathom thinking that way going into a season. Surely you should be optimistic we can do well? 

I think top ten is “doing well”. I think those seeing top two are attainable just don’t understand the scale of the challenge.

With Luton I’m just highlighting we are going down a completely opposite route, as you rightly say Scott (Semenyo too) are examples of how this works for us. No right answer & actually I think our strategy is better, far less short term, though Luton will rightly say who is playing Man U this season?

Top six isn’t top two, is it? Luton never did that & although I don’t expect it, would see that as at least possible.

• Like 2