IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think top ten is “doing well”. I think those seeing top two are attainable just don’t understand the scale of the challenge.

With Luton I’m just highlighting we are going down a completely opposite route, as you rightly say Scott (Semenyo too) are examples of how this works for us. No right answer & actually I think our strategy is better, far less short term, though Luton will rightly say who is playing Man U this season?

Top six isn’t top two, is it? Luton never did that & although I don’t expect it, would see that as at least possible.

I am with you a bit on that. What I think would be doing well is sustaining top 10 all season. If we are 4-11 all season and finish 9th I would say that is progress. I’d like games to feel like they matter after February

• Like 3

• Admin

I still don’t buy that we’d only get £15m next year if no one matches our valuation this Summer. By that point he will be a fixture in the England U21s with the extra profile that brings. With the signings we’ve made I believe we will be more solid defensively, allowing Alex to have greater license to play further forward and expect him to improve the more visible stats of goals and assists that often drive transfer price inflation. I know he’d only have 12 months left but with a third successful (personally) season at this level under his belt, he’s not gonna have fewer suitors, so that in itself will maintain value for us.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I still don’t buy that we’d only get £15m next year if no one matches our valuation this Summer. By that point he will be a fixture in the England U21s with the extra profile that brings. With the signings we’ve made I believe we will be more solid defensively, allowing Alex to have greater license to play further forward and expect him to improve the more visible stats of goals and assists that often drive transfer price inflation. I know he’d only have 12 months left but with a third successful (personally) season at this level under his belt, he’s not gonna have fewer suitors, so that in itself will maintain value for us.

I'm amazed at the moment how players with just 11 months left on their contract are retaining their value and going for huge amounts. So can't see Scotts value dropping either.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism.

Not every club who comes down goes straight back up, look at Watford and Norwich. Look what happened to Sunderland. I have no doubt this season brings a harder challenge than last. Do I think we will get top two? No. 

But football is unpredictable, that’s why we watch it. If we hit the ground running at the start, and we don’t have too many injuries who knows what could happen. Personally I would be happy with us being in the playoff picture when it comes down to the wire, whether we scrape in or not I still think thats significant progress.

No point writing a season off before it starts.

• Like 1

It's not so much our position more the baked in structural imbalances that makes me doubt top 2 on pretty well any level.

10 out of the last 16 automatically promoted were in receipt of Parachute Payments in the year of their promotion.

So much would have to fall our way to even bring us into realistic top 2 contention. 11 out of 20 if we want a rounder number. Then we can look at those who were not in receipt of Parachute Payments in the year of promotion but it still cell into the cycle. Might be two more that we can add.

Otoh a certain NP did win the title with a non Parachute club 10 years ago, but that said the imbalances have been worsening.

12 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Works well in principle, and then, a bit like the Church of England (other religions are available) it struggles with the concept of reality, and runs out of steam, usually between Christmas and Easter. 

Strange that’s when the pubs are near empty too!

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Well it 'feels' like we have more chance now of Scott staying with us. He's playing all the friendlies and we've had silence from the market for a week.

Obvs it could all change with one tweet!

Scott could always sign a new improved extended contract and stay ?

I can understand where people who want Scott to stay, regardless of his eventual fee we could not find a like for like replacement. But what I see is the opportunity to strengthen the weak areas whilst also retaining enough funds to either spend next year or be able to keep Conway, Bell or Pring, or at least play hardball, if clubs come looking at them.

The other thing is if young talent see the club won’t stand in the way if the Premier League come calling will make us more attractive. They already know there is a clear pathway to the first team (this could stop them leaving us as has happened in the past). No one knows how the season will pan out at the moment.

My last point is this, say Alex doesn’t get his move and has a fantastic season, get noticed by a top 6 club they can afford to wait until his contract runs out and get him for peanuts. After all he’d still only be 22 and even better equipped to take on the Premier League. This would only take a word from a Man City or a Spurs in Scott’s agents ear. Something along the lines of “Stay at Bristol City until your contract runs out and you’ll get £ X amount signing on fee. I know if we just miss out on the play off’s people will say “If only we had kept Scott” But if only my aunt had ball she’d be my uncle.

I think if he’s still here on 1st September, we may see him sign a new deal with us with a release clause included

Alex seems to be really level headed and so an opportunity for him to earn more money whilst with us and at the same time, a continued agreement that we won’t stand in his way, subject to £25m offer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Southport Red said:

I think that’s the whole point of being a fan though Mr Pop, after all, they do say “it’s the hope that kills you”. At the start of every season I hope, but not expect, promotion. I always start a season with that expectation. It usually gets disabused by game 3 and sometime at halftime in game 1 ?

Same here! ???

• Admin
1 hour ago, numbeast said:

I can understand where people who want Scott to stay, regardless of his eventual fee we could not find a like for like replacement. But what I see is the opportunity to strengthen the weak areas whilst also retaining enough funds to either spend next year or be able to keep Conway, Bell or Pring, or at least play hardball, if clubs come looking at them.

The other thing is if young talent see the club won’t stand in the way if the Premier League come calling will make us more attractive. They already know there is a clear pathway to the first team (this could stop them leaving us as has happened in the past). No one knows how the season will pan out at the moment.

My last point is this, say Alex doesn’t get his move and has a fantastic season, get noticed by a top 6 club they can afford to wait until his contract runs out and get him for peanuts. After all he’d still only be 22 and even better equipped to take on the Premier League. This would only take a word from a Man City or a Spurs in Scott’s agents ear. Something along the lines of “Stay at Bristol City until your contract runs out and you’ll get £ X amount signing on fee. I know if we just miss out on the play off’s people will say “If only we had kept Scott” But if only my aunt had ball she’d be my uncle.

The good news is we’d still get a decent wedge (compensation mechanism, estimated it would still be 7 figures) in your worst case scenario but would have been able to watch Alex for 2 more seasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Nobody is actually saying they expect or think we have a good chance of top 2 are they? They’re saying it’s technically possible so don’t rule it out? I’m sure some people just want to moan and argue.

Giving your honest opinion isn't moaning....

Talk of top a top two finish is feckless.

Edited by Son of Fred

10 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Giving your honest opinion isn't moaning....

Talk of top a top two finish is feckless.

Are you sure?

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

feckless

adjective

lacking initiative or strength of character; irresponsible.

e.g. "her feckless younger brother"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not so much our position more the baked in structural imbalances that makes me doubt top 2 on pretty well any level.

10 out of the last 16 automatically promoted were in receipt of Parachute Payments in the year of their promotion.

So much would have to fall our way to even bring us into realistic top 2 contention. 11 out of 20 if we want a rounder number. Then we can look at those who were not in receipt of Parachute Payments in the year of promotion but it still cell into the cycle. Might be two more that we can add.

Otoh a certain NP did win the title with a non Parachute club 10 years ago, but that said the imbalances have been worsening.

10 from 16 eh?

That gives any club without parachute around 33% chance. If it was only one in sixteen, I'd agree with you but at those odds Pearson will be itching to get that one in three chance for us.

4 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

I think if he’s still here on 1st September, we may see him sign a new deal with us with a release clause included

Alex seems to be really level headed and so an opportunity for him to earn more money whilst with us and at the same time, a continued agreement that we won’t stand in his way, subject to £25m offer

I don't think this is as far fetched as Graham thinks.  A 4 year deal with a substantial wage increase and a buy out clause would make a lot of sense.

The thing that works against that is the potential knock on effect with the expectations of the other younger players.

It would immediately stop all this messing about with lower bids plus add ons.  It would give Scott a wage he is worth at this level of football and give us a guarantee of a fee.  There is a lot to be said for removing doubt from a scenario.  

• Like 4