IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Never mind the numbers, just feel the drop in quality once Scott leaves for Wolves. 

It's why some of that transfer fee will surely be spent on a new midfielder.

No-one wants to see King out there on his zimmer frame. OTC is miles off. Weimann is no-one's idea of a midfielder. The other 3 are injury prone, soon to be out of contract, or both. 

So it's disappointing Scott's leaving but using some of his transfer fee to upgrade a couple of our midfielders will put us in a much stronger position squad-wise.    

Knight? I think you’ve forgotten him.

I think with him, James (who I rate very highly) & Scott or his replacement, we’re ok.

Williams is good enough as cover but agree that unless he significantly improves his availability & performance levels next season will probably be his last with us. King is fine for a few games as cover but plans will have gone seriously awry if he’s needed any more than that.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Knight? I think you’ve forgotten him.

I think with him, James (who I rate very highly) & Scott or his replacement, we’re ok.

Williams is good enough as cover but agree that unless he significantly improves his availability & performance levels next season will probably be his last with us. King is fine for a few games as cover but plans will have gone seriously awry if he’s needed any more than that.

Im sure knight and james will be starting every game they are available for, its that 3rd spot that will be up in the air.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

And isn’t it sickening that all this money is theirs simply because of luck? 

That luck is fast coming to an end, it will be interesting to see what happens to these middle eastern countries when the world is not so dependent on oil and they go back to being god-forsaken sandy dust bowls.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

Yes, sad news 69 is no age at all.

Indeed, not as you get closer to it etc.

I think Francis was a candidate for the cliche of the price tag being a burden, but a great player nonetheless. Header in Espania 82…

it was the Maradona to Barca transfer reported on page 5 of Shoot a few years later that made me realise there was a bigger world out there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Conway is frightening, bell is coming on in leaps and bounds, weimann and wells are another year older and cornick is “unproven” for us yet… 

i think i was responding to someone who was sayjng that once Scott leaves our midfield wont be too bad, or something similar… we will be left with king, plus 3 midfielders who we have some injury doubts about plus knight, who hopefully comes in and does very well.. williams is one of those who we would have to rely on to give us game time.

our gk situation is also questionable, and defence of vyner and dickie remain to be seen, hopefully mccrorie comes in and is a bit more comfortable on the ball than tanner, who no one has any problem with and gives his all, but isn’t necessarily the best with the ball? Pring is nailed on to start.

as to who we sign to replace scott,, who knows, but clearly we wont be getting the likes of mcatee or someone of that standard/ value in,,, the 2/3 million range might be more like it? Clearly if scott goes we can’t attract anyone in of that standard because hes the best young midfielder in the country in that age group.. 

i gather im in the minority on my thoughts of our prospects for the new season, i dont see how we are going to pull 10 places based on our new signings, and if scott goes, i think we will be left with conway and bell as our main hope for next season.

Saying Wells and Weimman are “another year older” is pointless in my opinion when they are still two of the fittest players in our squad. 

Williams may not be our best player, obviously, but I’d comfortably say he’s at least a standard championship midfielder. To say he’s one of the weaker members of our senior squad, at least in my opinion, is the testament to the level of the rest of the team.

I agree that on paper currently midfield is our weakest department, especially if Scott leaves but I disagree with it being in the bottom third of the championship. 

We would be extremely fortunate to pull 10 places, but 5/6 more points on the board then last season will have us in the playoff conversation this season, as I think the amount of points needed to reach playoffs will be lower due to the difficulty of the league.

With the base improvement of squad level, depth improvement and hopefully the lack of awful reffing decisions ( lost us at least 3 points more then the majority) and not as many injuries it seems more doable.

8th place is my prediction. Maybe a tad higher if Scott stays. A man can dream.

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 5

The other thingnim failing to understand, people are talking about replacing scott with an attacking midfielder,

we didnt deploy him as an attacking midfielder and nether did england, granted he played deeper for england,

if scott is to be replaced it needs to be someone who can tackle and break up play, thats where we will miss scott the most

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

And a pre-seasoned Mehmeti might well soften the blow of the attacking side.

Remember that Mehmeti was meant to be a target for this summer, we just got him early.

Would we still be thinking that we need a replacement for Scott if Mehmeti arrived last week instead of January?

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Can't agree with that, Williams seems to get a lot of un deserved stick,

Is he this seasons scapegoat? 

Not sure I’ve read much scapegoating yet - but he’s had a bit of criticism.

The issue for me is, some people are slightly still living in the past and keep expecting the marauding player we ‘thought’ we signed from Wigan to appear.

I would love nothing more than for you to bookmark this post and throw it back in my face - but I think that ship might have sailed.

IMO Williams is the kind of player you love having in the squad, as a personality and for his work rate but I don’t know if he has the attributes to be a key 40 game a season player in a top 6 team - which is where we’re ultimately aiming, right.

That’s not to say it justifies being a scapegoat however.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure I’ve read much scapegoating yet - but he’s had a bit of criticism.

The issue for me is, some people are slightly still living in the past and keep expecting the marauding player we ‘thought’ we signed from Wigan to appear.

I would love nothing more than for you to bookmark this post and throw it back in my face - but I think that ship might have sailed.

IMO Williams is the kind of player you love having in the squad, as a personality and for his work rate but I don’t know if he has the attributes to be a key 40 game a season player in a top 6 team - which is where we’re ultimately aiming, right.

That’s not to say it justifies being a scapegoat however.

Our level of scapegoat has gone up.

:yes:

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Ok, he's not my idea of a midfielder. He's a forward. 

Hi MM, best comment of the week. If we lose him the team would not be complete. He is an out and out goal scorer if given the chance to play. NP still trusts him. The recent players just taken on board will accommodate one of our best purchases in many years to come.

Wiemann will net 20 this coming season and Conway not that far behind him.

Time for someone now to start a new thread on who will net the most goals next season.

COYedssssssssss

• Like 2