IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I just don't see the upside for us in such a scenario. I understand the underlying principle behind it, I get how it can be mutually beneficial but don't see why it would be for us in this instance.

Is there an upside for Scott? Are they allowed to supplement his wage to bring him up to their level? 

Is there an upside for City? He goes in the shop window for a year and is almost guaranteed to increase his value, but we are tied to an agreed price, so only Wolves really benefit unless the sell on clause is huge.

I don't see how it benefits anybody but Wolves, so I can't see how we or Scott would go for it.

• Like 4

Caught a conversation between Peterborough's owner and Alex Crook on talksport earlier. Alex Crook claimed he knows as fact that numerous premier league clubs believe Alex Scott to be overpriced at £25m. 

Darragh actually said our valuation was a bargain...also said he was glad SL was sticking to his guns.

• Like 17

Scott being over-priced isn’t an issue as long as we aren’t trying to sell. One thing I wonder is if - despite our public statements to the contrary - the club believe now is the optimal time to sell Scott as he has the time left on his contract and we’ve got a squad that is good enough to comfortably achieve mid table if he did leave but may benefit from two or three additions to mount a serious challenge. If we actually want the money, and clubs call our bluff, that is a potential risk.  But - if the aim is to keep him at the club - then of course we should over-price him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Scott being over-priced isn’t an issue as long as we aren’t trying to sell. One thing I wonder is if - despite our public statements to the contrary - the club believe now is the optimal time to sell Scott as he has the time left on his contract and we’ve got a squad that is good enough to comfortably achieve mid table if he did leave but may benefit from two or three additions to mount a serious challenge. If we actually want the money, and clubs call our bluff, that is a potential risk.  But - if the aim is to keep him at the club - then of course we should over-price him.

Leaves us possibly in a precarious position next year though LB, if Alex doesn't sign a replacement deal ( most things depend on that I guess).

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Leaves us possibly in a precarious position next year though LB, if Alex doesn't sign a replacement deal ( most things depend on that I guess).

Let’s not forget that a Premier league club might get desperate in January and meet our requested fee, especially if he can add goals to his game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WoodsDTES said:

Let’s not forget that a Premier league club might get desperate in January and meet our requested fee, especially if he can add goals to his game.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - this is why I suspect the club may secretly be keener to sell than they are letting on. 

Can't disagree on either count tbh.

5 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

Premier league clubs might get desperate before the end of August.

There are still 4 weeks to go in this window, some clubs might have a bad start or original targets might not happen, also a fair amount of business tends to get done late in the window.

7 hours ago, astrondrew said:

It's hardly sensible management of players or fan expectations to say someone is going to be.a like for like to replacement...even if it were likely that we could get such a replacement for someone like Scott.

Knight certainly forms part of the team if Scott stays and is even more important in that team if Scott goes.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Do we need a "replacement" for Scott? Serious question - he's an unusual talent, so a like-for-like replacement would be tough. We need to replace his output, should he leave, but that may not be one player. It might be achieved through style of play?

Just a thought.

Even Nige has alluded to “Scott is irreplaceable”.

For me it’s about signing players that hopefully fit in and improve the “collective”.  That’s no easy task if Scott leaves, because he is so much more than a luxury-player isn’t he?

But I sense that having signed Knight, we might not necessarily look for a flair player, but another more normal midfielder who can attack from deeper, not play further forward.

I think we’d look for another no8 type - which to all intents and purpose is what Scott was the majority of the time.

It will be interested to see what names we get linked with.

57 minutes ago, TheRedHalf said:

Caught a conversation between Peterborough's owner and Alex Crook on talksport earlier. Alex Crook claimed he knows as fact that numerous premier league clubs believe Alex Scott to be overpriced at £25m. 

Darragh actually said our valuation was a bargain...also said he was glad SL was sticking to his guns.

I guess there is another angle to this.

Scott is worth every penny of £25m to a club that is gonna play him every / most weeks

Scott may seem over-priced to a side who want to take a time to embed him into their way of playing.  Those sides might also have been given the cold shoulder by Scott.

Who bloody knows….but it ain’t gonna stop this thread! ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, candygram for mongo said:

Premier league clubs might get desperate before the end of August.

There are still 4 weeks to go in this window, some clubs might have a bad start or original targets might not happen, also a fair amount of business tends to get done late in the window.

Agree with this but a late deal leaves us with little time to bring in reinforcements.

That said, it would be a very different scenario to when, for example, Webster left near the end of the window in that we have got the key players we need already so any signings would be “nice to have” rather than critical. 

19 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree with this but a late deal leaves us with little time to bring in reinforcements.

That said, it would be a very different scenario to when, for example, Webster left near the end of the window in that we have got the key players we need already so any signings would be “nice to have” rather than critical. 

Think that is the way the club are thinking . If Alex goes we've enough to cover and if he stays then we have a deeper depth in the squad.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Purely being devil's advocate. What would we get next summer though with 1 year left?

By my guess 12-15m. It is still a significant amount for us and we can have another season with him. Last covid year drops off after this season and think we look good financially going forward. 

1 hour ago, WoodsDTES said:

If he doesn’t go this summer and we are 4th in January, we’d probably say 35m. I think the price we are quoting is the number we are comfortable selling him for. Transformative money for the simple reason we do NOT want to sell him. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - this is why I suspect the club may secretly be keener to sell than they are letting on. 

See above, the price is there because we don’t want to sell. If we wanted money he’d be gone for probably 18-20m rising to whatever by now. Idk if clubs think we have to sell and are playing hardball but we seem comfortable with the situation. 

NP in last year of his deal too. Idk his plans but seeing as this is technically his final season as it stands, I doubt he wants to sell our best player. 

Seems like some are anxious about selling him for the 25m. We won’t need the money how we are run now. If we can keep recruiting well and churning out from the academy, we can do what Peterborough do and sell in their final year.

McRorie could be solid for 3 seasons and want to leave. Say we sell for 1.5m. Sounds like 500k loss but it will look like profit going forward from the point of that sale. Knight may have 2 seasons and go for 5-6m like Brownhill. Big profit and puts 1.5-2m into accounts for a few seasons. We don’t seem like we’ll be maxing out ffp like we did before. So we won’t really need 20m sales to get by. If Scott goes for 25m can see some disappointment here when we spend 6-7m on 2-3 players from same league or lower. That is our market whether we get big fees or not, imo. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheRedHalf said:

I suspect that numerous premier league clubs would probably happily pay £30m for AS, were he in the U21/23 squad of a premier league club with just the odd first team appearance to his name! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, TheRedHalf said:

Is Crook the Bournemouth mouthpiece?

Fortunately nineteen Prem Clubs can think he is overpriced, it only takes one to go for it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mean I did suspect that many PL clubs would deem him overpriced.

Clearly an element of higher and lower, no problem he'll stay another year or at least we will see come January if he's doing really well or if we're bottom third say.

What i cant fathom is If Lavia is worth £50m how is Scott not worth half of that?

• Like 1

There is some parity between this and LJ thread in that it's about forming a unit particularly in defence and midfield. Up front there is a bit more lee way (no pun intended). Understanding is everything in midfield so whilst Scott's future is undecided he may well be on the bench.

I hope not but until after the window closes he is not part of the bigger picture. Obviously I have no insight into conversations between him and the management team and maybe he's already committed to staying/leaving.

On 27/07/2023 at 10:09, mozo said:

This thread is now like the BBC test cricket feed when rain has stopped play...

Your right, it’s time to start talking about pigeons on the pitch and buses driving past the ground 

6 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

137 pages of knowing nothing...zero, zilch, and yet some are still queing up to add to the knowing nothing thread.?

As Socrates said

“True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing”

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

I do smile when people talk in terms of what price we should sell at and what WE could make. 

There is only, as usual, one person who matters in what value a player has. In this instance that fella has made it publicly clear.

If something should change or the kid gets injured then I know a lot will say see told you so, however by and large the same people will moan about selling our best players and on the field failure. 

It looks like the boy will start with us, but September 1st is a long long way off!

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Even Nige has alluded to “Scott is irreplaceable”.

For me it’s about signing players that hopefully fit in and improve the “collective”.  That’s no easy task if Scott leaves, because he is so much more than a luxury-player isn’t he?

But I sense that having signed Knight, we might not necessarily look for a flair player, but another more normal midfielder who can attack from deeper, not play further forward.

I think we’d look for another no8 type - which to all intents and purpose is what Scott was the majority of the time.

It will be interested to see what names we get linked with.

I guess there is another angle to this.

Scott is worth every penny of £25m to a club that is gonna play him every / most weeks

Scott may seem over-priced to a side who want to take a time to embed him into their way of playing.  Those sides might also have been given the cold shoulder by Scott.

Who bloody knows….but it ain’t gonna stop this thread! ?

Is Knight a flair player? He looks to me more like a hard running number 8?

Thoroughly looking forward to enjoying Scott until at least January ?

• Like 1