IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

7 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I find it all rather depressing.

I'm amazed people still hang off the every word of Nige like it is gospel. 

Football managers and football clubs lie to their fans all the time in order to do right by the greater good.

Let's be honest, Nige has likely told a massive porkie in saying Scott is injured. Do I mind it? Not really. He's protecting the interests of the club and player. 

Same with the "we won't spend the Scott cash" nonsense. Of course that money will be reinvested in new signings over the next couple of years.

People need to read between the lines a little more.

We are still paying very decent wages and fees for this level. Just because we've significantly reduced the wage bill, doesn't mean we are suddenly paupers in this division. We still pay better than most. 

• Like 15
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, cityexile said:

Keep seeing we are a potentially a CB short with Kallas and injuries from others and you rightly point out the flexibility we do have.

Maybe? I know compared to most clubs we are very rare users of the system, but if that is Pearson's judgement too, then does it not lend itself to a 6 month loan to come in rather than a perm?

It does lend itself to a half season loan….but just like any signing it’s getting the right player in for the right money.

As it stands, with Kal back training, there is no need to go to market, let alone wee-wee-wee all the way home (?).  Things could change rapidly though, but we have time (almost 4 weeks) to be reactive.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

It's been repeated over and over again that any money made WILL NOT be reinvested in new players

I am amazed so many people continue to not understand this

Phants - it’s also worth noting that Nige plays the media pretty well too.  I think he’s trying to do a few things:

• shut down conversation about prospective transfers, because he generally doesn’t like the subject
  • make people outside of City think we don’t have much to spend (on fees, wages or both)
  • make players inside of City know we are t gonna spend Alex Scott money plumping up their contracts

My opinion only - I’d be amazed if we didn’t enter the market if Alex is sold for £25m.

My opinion also - it won’t be splashing the cash, it will be players of the profile Tins mentioned pre-summer, the Knight’s and Roberts’ types.

A Bit more if my opinion - I don’t think Nige would be happy if he sold a state pkayer for £25m and was told, “sorry there’s none for you”.

I suspect many posters are thinking the same, and that Nige isn’t being totally honest.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Football managers and football clubs lie to their fans all the time in order to do right by the greater good.

Let's be honest, Nige has likely told a massive porkie in saying Scott is injured. Do I mind it? Not really. He's protecting the interests of the club and player. 

Same with the "we won't spend the Scott cash" nonsense. Of course that money will be reinvested in new signings over the next couple of years.

We are still paying very decent wages and fees for this level. Just because we've significantly reduced the wage bill, doesn't mean we are suddenly paupers in this division. We still pay better than most. 

You type quicker than me!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Indeed can't find it now but saw article the other day where we currently have 9th or 10th highest wage bill in the Championship.

6 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Indeed can't find it now but saw article the other day where we currently have 9th or 10th highest wage bill in the Championship.

This genuinely surprises me. I thought we would have been a little lower on the scale. Makes it more frustrating that we have stammered to a mid-table halt.....(which I would take over relegation battle any day)

Edited by MelksRed

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

When you say ‘read between the lines’ I assume you mean in relation to the cash. On the “injury” it feels more like a case of reading the bleeding’ obvious!

I do understand why they do it, but they must think we’re daft.

I hope it’s an indication a deal is close, not that he’s worried that Alex’s head is elsewhere. The speculation isn’t going to go away however long he stays now. 

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder if the wage limit NP was referring to, and forget FFP.

Was:

A cap on top earner ie no player shall earn more than £x per week.

Some kinda average and new signings may disrupt.

Or perhaps a total cap ie your wage budget for the season is £20-25m.

The club will have set a playing budget that they all agree with. I suspect there is flex in it.

13 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Was it this one?

whatever the source of this (I asked I got the response “trust me bro”) it’s crap.

Having said that our wage bill as a club has been in the top non-PP bunch…but that has now come down.  We will see evidence of that in 22/23’s accounts when they’re out later this year / early next year, and also further reductions this season too as the likes of Massengo, Kalas, Dasilva, Moore, Bentley etc are no longer part of it.

Will we still pay well?  Yes for the right profile player.  But likely that the days of paying £25k p.w. are gone, and paying £15k-18k for average players too.

Only my view.  But based on looking as much into the numbers as guesswork allows.

• Like 2

It may well be a blessing in disguise that Scott is mysteriously unavailable all of a sudden. We risk a situation where one player dominates the attention of everyone & dilutes the experience for everybody else. We saw that with the end of season walk around the pitch. It was all about Scott.

This season is not about Alex Scott. It is about an exciting new team with bags of talent & potential that with a bit of luck could do something special.

I’m not saying I don’t want Scott to be part of that team - ofcourse I do. But his head has to be in the right place - which it clearly wasn’t for the last home game of last season.

• Like 5

I hope no other clubs show interest in any of our 1st eleven before tomorrow otherwise our medical team won't be able to cope with the "injuries".....and we will be fielding our youth team.  

Is Nigel really looking after the clubs best  interest if he doesn't play our best player.(assuming he's not actually injured).  Every point will be vital this season. We need to put out our strongest squad available whilst they're here.

Genuine injury. NP doesn’t have any of that bullshit that previous managers & other clubs have done when they don’t select players due to them being close to moving clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Bcfcshags said:

Genuine injury. NP doesn’t have any of that bullshit that previous managers & other clubs have done when they don’t select players due to them being close to moving clubs. 

No issue with his head being in the right space?