IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Don’t usually post on here, but felt compelled to after yesterday. Saw a certain injured first team player on the way up to upper Lansdown and he was clear AS was genuinely injured but seemed to infer he is keen on a PL move, who wouldn’t be! I definitely got the sense that its a matter of time this window. I also raised the fact we are a bigger club than likes of Bournemouth, the response was pretty much around the PL being the PL irrespective of club size. You cannot say no to furthering your career  

This feeling of an imminent AS departure really does concern me after viewing a disappointing first game yesterday, can honestly say that was one of the worst halves of football I’ve ever seen at AG in my 30 years as a season ticket holder considering all the pre game optimism, it was utter dross.

Yet again another summer goes by where we don’t strengthen an area where most city fan would acknowledge we are weak year in, year out….the midfield. Knight for me was such an underwhelming debut to watch, a fellow fan perfectly described him as Neil Kilkenny meets Lee Johnson, I don’t think I could have described him any better. Our midfield again lacks bite, tenacity, quality and creation, we have lacked a creative midfielder since Tinnion retired and we just don’t ever get to grips. Stoke did a fantastic job signing Ben Pearson considering we also lack a player who can put a foot in. Have to question our approach of pre season and transfer strategy with League One and below, you could tell we were shocked with playing an average team at Champ level. 

If Scott goes, we HAVE to somehow find a way of a midfield player, perhaps even a loan like Fiorini from Man C, but the current group will not be good enough to push beyond 14th. I’m a bit NP fan but again have a sense of is he a better DOF for the club than a first team Head Coach/Manager. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Don’t usually post on here, but felt compelled to after yesterday. Saw a certain injured first team player on the way up to upper Lansdown and he was clear AS was genuinely injured but seemed to infer he is keen on a PL move, who wouldn’t be! I definitely got the sense that its a matter of time this window. I also raised the fact we are a bigger club than likes of Bournemouth, the response was pretty much around the PL being the PL irrespective of club size. You cannot say no to furthering your career  

This feeling of an imminent AS departure really does concern me after viewing a disappointing first game yesterday, can honestly say that was one of the worst halves of football I’ve ever seen at AG in my 30 years as a season ticket holder considering all the pre game optimism, it was utter dross.

Yet again another summer goes by where we don’t strengthen an area where most city fan would acknowledge we are weak year in, year out….the midfield. Knight for me was such an underwhelming debut to watch, a fellow fan perfectly described him as Neil Kilkenny meets Lee Johnson, I don’t think I could have described him any better. Our midfield again lacks bite, tenacity, quality and creation, we have lacked a creative midfielder since Tinnion retired and we just don’t ever get to grips. Stoke did a fantastic job signing Ben Pearson considering we also lack a player who can put a foot in. Have to question our approach of pre season and transfer strategy with League One and below, you could tell we were shocked with playing an average team at Champ level. 

If Scott goes, we HAVE to somehow find a way of a midfield player, perhaps even a loan like Fiorini from Man C, but the current group will not be good enough to push beyond 14th. I’m a bit NP fan but again have a sense of is he a better DOF for the club than a first team Head Coach/Manager. 

Thanks for sharing. I think he could justify it on the basis of salary alone tbf, but to play in the top flight at that age is also pretty amazing. 

I definitely don't think we can see Knight as a Scott replacement. 

It'll be interesting to see what impact Cornick, Knight and Mehmetti can have this season. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Thanks for sharing. I think he could justify it on the basis of salary alone tbf, but to play in the top flight at that age is also pretty amazing. 

I definitely don't think we can see Knight as a Scott replacement. 

It'll be interesting to see what impact Cornick, Knight and Mehmetti can have this season. 

I would actually like to see a front 3 of Mehmeti, Conway and Bell, surprised he hasn’t tried Bell on the right. Mehmeti is an interesting one, Alan Nixon called his signing as the best of the January window in the Champ, I understand PL clubs showed interest and Wycombe valued at £5M and above, we all felt a buzz that we had replaced Antoine’s unpredictability and X Factor in the forward line, to find him behind the likes of Cornick is astonishing. There is no doubt to me Mehmeti is the best technical player at the club other than Scott. Would like him to be given a run. 

Either way no doubt the front 3 yesterday should not be our regular. I think the whole stadium was surprised Conway wasn’t starting, can only imagine he had a knock. That said, we could have had Jesus, Haaland, Toney etc up top and they would struggle with our midfield. I still think we lack that Lucas Joao type forward, someone explosive with power. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I would actually like to see a front 3 of Mehmeti, Conway and Bell, surprised he hasn’t tried Bell on the right. Mehmeti is an interesting one, Alan Nixon called his signing as the best of the January window in the Champ, I understand PL clubs showed interest and Wycombe valued at £5M and above, we all felt a buzz that we had replaced Antoine’s unpredictability and X Factor in the forward line, to find him behind the likes of Cornick is astonishing. There is no doubt to me Mehmeti is the best technical player at the club other than Scott. Would like him to be given a run. 

Either way no doubt the front 3 yesterday should not be our regular. I think the whole stadium was surprised Conway wasn’t starting, can only imagine he had a knock. That said, we could have had Jesus, Haaland, Toney etc up top and they would struggle with our midfield. I still think we lack that Lucas Joao type forward, someone explosive with power. 

That front 3 would be interesting, wondered about it myself a couple of times the only question is two left footers?

It would be young and full of energy. Would also be more likely to stretch if the ball played in quickly yet accurately big centre backs like those we faced Saturday.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That front 3 would be interesting, wondered about it myself a couple of times the only question is two left footers?

It would be young and full of energy. Would also be more likely to stretch if the ball played in quickly yet accurately big centre backs like those we faced Saturday.

Works for Arsenal. Saka on the right is very good at cutting in, Martinelli plays more as a traditional wide player. I can see Bell being a better threat for us on the right, if you watch him closely he struggles when crowded out as he takes the ball forward on his left, very much goes outside as opposed to inside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I also don’t post much on here, and apologies for adding to the Alex Scott thread with a post not directly commenting on Alex Scott, but for me this is hugely unfair regarding Knight.

Yesterday was an interesting day in that it popped the enthusiasm balloon for those who bought into play-off, sell out etc sound-bytes/hype, but the reality is we’re progressing, or at very least setting foundations, as a club which simply won’t be able to toe-to-toe with plenty in the league. That isn’t to say we shouldn’t be able to with Preston, who can rightly feel aggrieved not to have taken all three points following our poor performance yesterday, but to in anyway pin that on Knight’s debut, or any other individual performance, isn’t fair.

Knight showed tenacity and touches of flair which will, in my opinion at least, endear him to fans in no time. I was much more concerned with how ragged, disorganised and, perhaps most damning, passive in response we were with both James and Williams at the heart of midfield, two players you’d absolutely want to sort things out when under the cosh, as we were for pretty much the entire second half yesterday.

Don’t get me wrong, Knight was no more than 6/10, but to attach any negatives to him based on yesterdays bland and underwhelming turn-out is, in my opinion, misguided.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Moving to West Ham, some bloke sat next to me in Lansdown told me today

Don't listen to what anyone says in the Lansdown, i had one bloke behind me shouting that he should stay with us just because he was born and bred in Bristol !!!

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

On 02/08/2023 at 14:59, GrahamC said:

Interested to know how you know this.

We wouldn’t be the first (or last) team to sell its best player, plenty of them then subsequently do better, for example Brentford & Brighton repeatedly do so.

Your description of our existing midfielders is predictably moronic, so which one of those is Jason Knight? 

I’ll put you on ignore, I think, not going to learn anything reading your nonsense.

Rather think my “ description of our existing midfielders” proved more accurate than “ moronic” , yesterday, don’t you think?

Suggest you keep reading my “ nonsense” , as you might learn something.

Yesterday was only one match, so I’m sure we can improve, however, without Scott’s quality I doubt our “ existing midfielders “ can be any more than average in this league.

Should you reply , don’t bother with the childish personal slights, they don’t bother me and make you look rather silly.

Let’s hope we are better against Oxford and then Millwall. 
⚽⚽⚽

• Hmmm 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

None of our forward line 6 are left footed….or have I misunderstood the point?

2 hours ago, S_C said:

I also don’t post much on here, and apologies for adding to the Alex Scott thread with a post not directly commenting on Alex Scott, but for me this is hugely unfair regarding Knight.

Yesterday was an interesting day in that it popped the enthusiasm balloon for those who bought into play-off, sell out etc sound-bytes/hype, but the reality is we’re progressing, or at very least setting foundations, as a club which simply won’t be able to toe-to-toe with plenty in the league. That isn’t to say we shouldn’t be able to with Preston, who can rightly feel aggrieved not to have taken all three points following our poor performance yesterday, but to in anyway pin that on Knight’s debut, or any other individual performance, isn’t fair.

Knight showed tenacity and touches of flair which will, in my opinion at least, endear him to fans in no time. I was much more concerned with how ragged, disorganised and, perhaps most damning, passive in response we were with both James and Williams at the heart of midfield, two players you’d absolutely want to sort things out when under the cosh, as we were for pretty much the entire second half yesterday.

Don’t get me wrong, Knight was no more than 6/10, but to attach any negatives to him based on yesterdays bland and underwhelming turn-out is, in my opinion, misguided.

Fair point but it’s a game of opinions and many in here from what I read from afar were making out that we had a transformational player. For me all I saw was another LJ, who I was never a fan of as a player or manager. Felt pretty underwhelmed but then I guess he looked shoulders above our average League One and Two opponents in pre season. You could see why Derby fans weren’t overly worried. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Fair point but it’s a game of opinions and many in here from what I read from afar were making out that we had a transformational player. For me all I saw was another LJ, who I was never a fan of as a player or manager. Felt pretty underwhelmed but then I guess he looked shoulders above our average League One and Two opponents in pre season. You could see why Derby fans weren’t overly worried. 

A few derby fans majority want him to stay. 

5 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Tbh was very disappointed as you obviously were , but to have a pop at young Knight on his debut in a poor performance is unfair, Joe Williams did ok when he came on and the midfield was laboured but i thought Knight was the pick of them , and worked hard to try and make something happen, ffs  give the guy a chance 

• Like 16