IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Put your pie charts and stats away Dave and study real football history. 

We are some away ahead of them ...just look at the size of the ground catchment tradition, I could go on but I guess you will prove me wrong with some irrelevant stat.

Maybe he has his sights set on Oldham - after all they were one of the founding members of the Premier League.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

While you're about it ,dig out your Hugh Mcillmoyle as well .?

McIllmoyle, one of the best headers of a ball I've seen. The impact he had on City supporters of a certain age (like me) was remarkable given he was here for such a short time playing just 20 league games and scoring 4 goals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Put your pie charts and stats away Dave and study real football history. 

We are some away ahead of them ...just look at the size of the ground catchment tradition, I could go on but I guess you will prove me wrong with some irrelevant stat.

History!!!!!

What the flying **** has history got to do with the CURRENT situation of why a championship player at Bristol City might want to go to PL Bournemouth.

And why would studying football history have any bearing?  I’m well versed in football history thanks. I’ll dust off my Hugh McIlvanney on Football annuals shall I????

Jeeeeeez. 

I suspect (Hope!) that @cotswoldred2 was just being extremely sarcastic.

Hugh McIlvanney OBE, incidentally, was an absolutely wonderful journalist, and his was one of the first articles I used to read in The Sunday Times. 

If you have not seen it (you probably have ?) you should try and watch his short series about great Scottish football managers, featuring Matt Busby, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly - too soon to include Sir Alex Ferguson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

McIllmoyle, one of the best headers of a ball I've seen. The impact he had on City supporters of a certain age (like me) and me! was remarkable given he was here for such a short time playing just 20 league games and scoring 4 goals. 

He was indeed, yet I now remember and picture a lanky, almost skinny, centre forward and wonder just how he managed to win so many headers.  

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yep, the finest writer on multiple sports I have ever read.

Memory sometimes plays tricks, but I seem to recall he also used to write about Italian football, having spent some time in Italy earlier in his career.

I may be wrong, though, and that might have been another sports journalist of his era.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Memory sometimes plays tricks, but I seem to recall he also used to write about Italian football, having spent some time in Italy earlier in his career.

I may be wrong, though, and that might have been another sports journalist of his era.

I think you may have Brian Glanville of the Sunday Times in mind who was regarded by many as the greatest ever football writer. He spent much of his career in Italy and was an authority on Italian football.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think you may have Brian Glanville of the Sunday Times in mind who was regarded by many as the greatest ever football writer. He spent much of his career in Italy and was an authority on Italian football.

You are, of course, quite correct.

I was just reminiscing about when I used to have The Sunday Times delivered - Oh, what bliss - and remembered those occasional articles about Italian football.

My next question, then, is did both BG and HM write for The Sunday Times at the same time?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

McIllmoyle, one of the best headers of a ball I've seen. The impact he had on City supporters of a certain age (like me) was remarkable given he was here for such a short time playing just 20 league games and scoring 4 goals. 

Hughie,   Hughie,  Hughie,  Mcllmoyle.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You are, of course, quite correct.

I was just reminiscing about when I used to have The Sunday Times delivered - Oh, what bliss - and remembered those occasional articles about Italian football.

My next question, then, is did both BG and HM write for The Sunday Times at the same time?

Hugh was at The Observer for years before he joined the Sunday Times in the 90s but they must have overlapped at the latter for some time.

My Dad used to take both The Observer and the Sunday Times so that was Sunday's taken care of!

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Hugh was at The Observer for years before he joined the Sunday Times in the 90s but they must have overlapped at the latter for some time.

My Dad used to take both The Observer and the Sunday Times so that was Sunday's taken care of!

Ugh! I used to hate people like that. It only took about half a dozen of those papers with all their supplements to fill my bag when I did a Sunday Morning paper round! The same round that you did in 30 minutes of an evening, would be 2 hours and 3 trips and a neck The Thing! :)

• Haha 5

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Ugh! I used to hate people like that. It only took about half a dozen of those papers with all their supplements to fill my bag when I did a Sunday Morning paper round! The same round that you did in 30 minutes of an evening, would be 2 hours and 3 trips and a neck The Thing! :)

If it's any consolation Dad used to send me to the shop to get the papers. I had to work for my pocket money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Little bit in The Athletic.

Still trying to get the formatting for posting snippets on here right. A lot of what we know but implies that Bournemouth are confident that a deal will eventually be done.

Apparently in their final friendly, they ended the match with defender Marcos Senesi playing midfield, presumably due to lack of options. The manager said it's not a long term solution.

So they're a team that could really do with Alex Scott if a deal can be made.

As an aside, it seems that Antoine has been injured all pre-season and only started training last week. With signings like Justin Kluivert, Semenyo has been unlucky to fall behind.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

And nowadays the Sunday papers are not even fit for the outhouse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

His first on his debut against Hull, a typical towering header from a corner .

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And nowadays the Sunday papers are not even fit for the outhouse.

I used to drive to a nearby suburb to buy my regular Sunday Times - €8 when I last bought it - but then they stopped stocking it.

A regular weekly subscription works out at €20 per addition, so I now read an online version of The Mail on Sunday ?.

• Sad 1

On 06/08/2023 at 07:55, Shauntaylor85 said:

This feeling of an imminent AS departure really does concern me after viewing a disappointing first game yesterday, can honestly say that was one of the worst halves of football I’ve ever seen at AG in my 30 years as a season ticket holder considering all the pre game optimism, it was utter dross.

As a season ticket holder you seriously can't think that was one of the worst halves of football you've ever seen surely? 

What about the game where we lost 6 nil to Cardiff? 4 nil down by half time. 

Saturdays game was poor but it doesn't even make the top 100 of poor 1st halves that I've seen. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

As a season ticket holder you seriously can't think that was one of the worst halves of football you've ever seen surely? 

What about the game where we lost 6 nil to Cardiff? 4 nil down by half time. 

Saturdays game was poor but it doesn't even make the top 100 of poor 1st halves that I've seen. 

It was dire! One effort from Bell which should have been a goal, but aside from that countless misplaced passes, no atmosphere. Honestly in the context of pre season optimism as a fan base it couldn’t have been worse. Let’s hope we see a few players back soon and Scott plays at Millwall.