IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, how long did it take for him to retire?? He was awful!

It's funny really as it did raise our profile. Him plus more significantly Coppell, Hunt, Stewart..looked promising it did. Cisse too or did he come later.

I remember recent uni friends expressing their surprise and that they were impressed at us signing James the England WC goalie, touting us for a promotion push. Little did they know!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's funny really as it did raise our profile. Him plus more significantly Coppell, Hunt, Stewart..looked promising did it it. Cisse too or did he come later.

I remember recent uni friends expressing their surprise and that they were impressed at us signing James the England WC goalie, touting us for a promotion push. Little did they know!

Oh dear,, how many false dawns have there been? No wonder im a little cynical about the club these days!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chinapig said:

Hugh was at The Observer for years before he joined the Sunday Times in the 90s but they must have overlapped at the latter for some time.

My Dad used to take both The Observer and the Sunday Times so that was Sunday's taken care of!

This has now been bugging me for several hours, but there used to be another fine sporting journalist on The Sunday Times, now deceased, Welsh unless I am mistaken, who used to write about rugby, but whose name I have unfortunately forgotten.

Any idea?

This just brings back to me how much I miss about proper journalism - even Andrew Neil is reduced to writing for The Daily Mail, the only reason I read it ?, for those who have criticised me for doing so.

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This has now been bugging me for several hours, but there used to be another fine sporting journalist on The Sunday Times, now deceased, Welsh unless I am mistaken, who used to write about rugby, but whose name I have unfortunately forgotten.

Any idea?

This just brings back to me how much I miss about proper journalism - even Andrew Neil is reduced to writing for The Daily Mail, the only reason I read it ?, for those who have criticised me for doing so.

Huw Johns, he was Welsh, jorno , now de-composing ?

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Any idea?

Eddie Butler perhaps, the late Welsh international and BBC commentator ? He wrote for The Observer though.

5 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

If there was budget to spend on a Scott replacement, I would love a move for Chair at QPR . 

Would be cheaper at SCS and nothing to pay for 12 months!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It makes me wonder with the likes of Leicester and Saints selling all these "wonderful" players ,how they ever got relegated ?

I was going to say something similar about QPR, for a team who just survived last season and look to be favourites to be struggling this season, they seem to have a lot of players other teams would like.

• Like 1

Had a quick look.

Chair is clearly the superior and more exciting player but Willock isn't bad! The latter also is in the final year of his contract, whereas Chair is 2025 with a further year option in addition. In the case of Chair, more likely for PL or Parachute clubs IMO.

Willock is 25, and has reasonable end product in, sometimes rather impressive actually.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was going to say something similar about QPR, for a team who just survived last season and look to be favourites to be struggling this season, they seem to have a lot of players other teams would like.

Chair strikes me as a lad who wants too many touches. I would take Willock,  and Dykes would have been nice over Cornick but otherwise their squad looks terrible 

• Like 3

Ilias Chair is a very good player. Very quick thinking and forward moving midfielder. He would add something Scott doesn't  do naturally and that is finish, but he is also a very frustrating player. He is rather selfish and will prefer to go alone, than look for team mates. He is best played in behind the strikers, in a role many fans have hoped to see Weimann in. Despite QPR's financial position and significant threat of relegation, I doubt he would be a cheap acquisition and he will also be on London money. He was wanted by Leicester as well, so there would certainly be, big competition for him. In interviews, he has also spoken of how much he loves QPR for giving him a chance when no one else does and he spoke before how Nahki Wells helped him massively with his game and was like a role model to him. This seems to be a pattern about Nahki, and he seems to bring out the best in players. 

I doubt realistically if we could afford someone like Chair, but he would be a very good signing. But I can't see us paying 5/6m and 15-20K a week for a player, that we don't really utilise his position as a player. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Chair strikes me as a lad who wants too many touches. I would take Willock,  and Dykes would have been nice over Cornick but otherwise their squad looks terrible 

Their squad has certainly become more terrible.. either that or Beale was working wonders before his departure.

Dieng, Dickie, Johansen out..

..As well as no PL loanees- Laird, Roberts, Iroegbunam for a full season and Lowe from January all there last season but no longer.

Heard/read decent things about Sam Field in the past- he's still there too, for now.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Huw Johns, he was Welsh, jorno , now de-composing ?

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

Eddie Butler perhaps, the late Welsh international and BBC commentator ? He wrote for The Observer though.

It has just come back to me.

I was thinking of Stephen Jones, who, of course, is still very much alive!

My apologies for suggesting otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Ilias Chair is a very good player. Very quick thinking and forward moving midfielder. He would add something Scott doesn't  do naturally and that is finish, but he is also a very frustrating player. He is rather selfish and will prefer to go alone, than look for team mates. He is best played in behind the strikers, in a role many fans have hoped to see Weimann in. Despite QPR's financial position and significant threat of relegation, I doubt he would be a cheap acquisition and he will also be on London money. He was wanted by Leicester as well, so there would certainly be, big competition for him. In interviews, he has also spoken of how much he loves QPR for giving him a chance when no one else does and he spoke before how Nahki Wells helped him massively with his game and was like a role model to him. This seems to be a pattern about Nahki, and he seems to bring out the best in players. 

I doubt realistically if we could afford someone like Chair, but he would be a very good signing. But I can't see us paying 5/6m and 15-20K a week for a player, that we don't really utilise his position as a player. 

London money? I know in my civil service youth working in the capital I received London Weighting but I never realised it applied to footballers as well. 

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

London money? I know in my civil service youth working in the capital I received London Weighting but I never realised it applied to footballers as well. 

Perhaps London teams are allowed to lose more money in the FFP rules....

Or perhaps not

3 hours ago, TDarwall said:

I'd like to think we would see more of Memehti before spending a wedge on a player like Chair.  Equally I suspect Chair would have better options than us.

Better options than us? If BCFC were a girl he'd be lucky to have us. He'd be punching well above his weight!