IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Im not as down as many seem to be about this.

Very very good player goes for over £20m to an average club who happen to currently be in a league above us.

The whole thing is underwhelming but we have not just let goals and goals and assists and assist walk out of the club for nothing when spending millions in the first place as we have with many over the last few years.

Was Scott a ray of light, yes. Did he win games on his own, maybe. Can we build in £20m profit, certainly.

Good price for a very good player but should galvanise us spent right.

I do think its an underwhelming move for him and I am City first and ex players second, but could look a poor move in 12 months time and might be back down The Gate sooner than we think out of the away dressing room.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Tbf he’s lost two of his best players in what he wants to be a promotion push. I’d personally be very surprised if we didn’t get replacements for both. 

its the last year of his deal and potentially his last ever season as a manager. He will want to give it as best a shot as possible. 

Agreed. A week ago we felt like we were potentially a couple of players short. Since then, we have sold our best player for approx £25m and our 1st choice striker has suffered a notable injury.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't make some effort to strengthen with the money. Have to say it would feel a bit unambitious not to.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Just seen Pearsons club interview after tonight. Scott wasn't mentioned but it's clear the bloke is absolutely fuming, he's ready to fight 

Nige knows what he’s doing. He’s sending a direct message to the board. 

Nige is very clever in the way in which he uses the media/journalists.

He’s already got us talking about how frustrated he seems. 

I mentioned the other day about how we shouldn’t believe everything that he says to the press.

Within a matter of days we have lost our key striker through injury, and have now agreed to sell our best player. 

Nige will ensure that the message gets out about needing to spend money, and that the fans back him.

• Like 8

The reaction of Pearson is the biggest concern for me. Clearly not been in the loop it feels and is (rightly you would think) somewhat pissed off by it.

Rather naively assumed he was in the inner circle for these things and we would be ready to go with Plan B.  

• Like 1

Fear, if he does go, we’ve little time now to negotiate the 3 players we need a quality keeper, midfielder and forward  - although a loan for the forward might give us a bit more elbow room time wise. If we don’t move in this window, we all know January isn’t a great time to do business. 

Apart from the Conway injury saga, at least we now know why Nige was in a mood earlier - although that may be ‘an act’ to prise as much as he can from Steve’s pockets to fund incoming transfers.

12 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

To be fair we don’t know what’s gone on , Will all be clearer in next day or two , Nige sounds pissed off but that does not mean either he’s been stitched up or we haven’t got what we want, everyone guessing at this stage 

Same thing with signings just because he’s saying needs to see what can be done ( wages etc ) doesn’t mean much , maybe not earning a fortune but Scott’s wages gone now , let’s wait and see 

My guess and no inside knowledge here disclaimer

I think we expected a bigger market for Scott this summer (team of the season, young player of the year, England cup winning squad, NTT20 number 1 for players under 21 etc) hence being so firm on £25m with expecting some of the big boys coming in for him and then were disappointed when we saw only Wolves (who were actually broke) and Bournemouth really seemingly having a firm interest. Given this is the peak of Scott's value and the risk of an injury or how much value might come off in even 6 months the club have panicked a little at the lack of interest so far decided to take a slightly lower guaranteed amount, but by the sounds of it £20m + £5m, whereas it sounds like Pearson was told he wouldn't lose him for less than £25m (maybe even £30m) guaranteed.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

The reaction of Pearson is the biggest concern for me. Clearly not been in the loop it feels and is (rightly you would think) somewhat pissed off by it.

Rather naively assumed he was in the inner circle for these things and we would be ready to go with Plan B.  

I don't necessarily think this is what's happening, but let's dare to be creative for a second..........?

........perhaps this is all part of a plan to portray that Pearson hasn't been given any of the money from the Scott sale, in order to avoid clubs taking the piss and driving up the price when we look to sign a replacement.

Maybe Pearson will have funds made available to him, but we just don't want other clubs to know that.

(perhaps a bit fanciful, I know ?)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I don't necessarily think this is what's happening, but let's dare to be creative for a second..........?

........perhaps this is all part of a plan to portray that Pearson hasn't been given any of the money from the Scott sale, in order to avoid clubs taking the piss and driving up the price when we look to sign a replacement.

Maybe Pearson will have funds made available to him, but we just don't want other clubs to know that.

(perhaps a bit fanciful, I know ?)

I mean possible…but then  he really should be on the stage.

Edited by cityexile

I’m confident, despite any media noises, we have a plan B and Nige is in on it. Did he want to keep Alex? Course, we all did. But he also wanted to keep Antoine in January, and within hours of him leaving we had Anis and Harry in the door. If you work on the basis this has been afoot since Percy mooted it last week, wheels will have been in motion. I would not be shocked if plan B arrives in the next week.

And it had better include a goalkeeper 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Mr Pearson was sounding a bit miffed prematch that the player himself (with the help of @Bcfcshags)let that out on social media before the club know the extent of the injury. 

Thought that @Bcfcshagswas a bit wrong to let that one out of the bag to be fair. It does really compromise things. Some things shouldn’t be leaked IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

His interview with the local media is slightly more pointed if you look atvthe Bristol Post website, nothing overly controversial though

so just this below in text form... NP only said this past weekend if a club meet the price then they will talk, if they don't and he goes for less than £25m then he would not be happy.

“I’ve got nothing to say, really, apart from that the club has given him permission,” Pearson said. “Outside of that I’ve got no comment. I couldn’t give you the details… I knew (about the bid) today. And that’s it, I’m not saying anymore.”

When pushed further, he added: “I’d been planning to keep him. It’s nothing to do with me. It’s a club decision. I’m disappointed because we’ve got a better chance of being successful if we keep our best players so that’s where I sit on it.”

2 minutes ago, chowie said:

so just this below in text form... NP only said this past weekend if a club meet the price then they will talk, if they don't and he goes for less than £25m then he would not be happy.

“I’ve got nothing to say, really, apart from that the club has given him permission,” Pearson said. “Outside of that I’ve got no comment. I couldn’t give you the details… I knew (about the bid) today. And that’s it, I’m not saying anymore.”

When pushed further, he added: “I’d been planning to keep him. It’s nothing to do with me. It’s a club decision. I’m disappointed because we’ve got a better chance of being successful if we keep our best players so that’s where I sit on it.”

I’d love to know who in the club is making these decisions…

• Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m confident, despite any media noises, we have a plan B and Nige is in on it. Did he want to keep Alex? Course, we all did. But he also wanted to keep Antoine in January, and within hours of him leaving we had Anis and Harry in the door. If you work on the basis this has been afoot since Percy mooted it last week, wheels will have been in motion. I would not be shocked if plan B arrives in the next week.

He's previously said we have a plan if he stays and we have a plan if he goes - so I think your confidence is well founded. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

My guess and no inside knowledge here disclaimer

I think we expected a bigger market for Scott this summer (team of the season, young player of the year, England cup winning squad, NTT20 number 1 for players under 21 etc) hence being so firm on £25m with expecting some of the big boys coming in for him and then were disappointed when we saw only Wolves (who were actually broke) and Bournemouth really seemingly having a firm interest. Given this is the peak of Scott's value and the risk of an injury or how much value might come off in even 6 months the club have panicked a little at the lack of interest so far decided to take a slightly lower guaranteed amount, but by the sounds of it £20m + £5m, whereas it sounds like Pearson was told he wouldn't lose him for less than £25m (maybe even £30m) guaranteed.

In that scenario it doesn't necessarily have to be that the club have panicked. You could easily say that they made a rational judgement based on the options available. 

I never thought the £25m was a genuine red line anyway, and had expected a little below. Maybe it will still reach that though.

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Selling Scott ? The final decision is with SL . No one wants him to go , but with Alex having two years left it was maximum sell value . You also have to think of the player. He might have wanted to go . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Hope NP doesn't do an erstwhile Wolves boss, and walk !

I can’t see him doing that. He seems pretty settled in the area if you take that recent interview from him into consideration. Pearson is clearly a huge fan of Scott (I keep thinking about the AS mug that he’s got and uses). 

I’ll be gutted if AS leaves us, but my business brain says we need the cash as a football club. I can’t help but wonder if AS was the piece of the jigsaw we needed to get promotion though. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

In that scenario it doesn't necessarily have to be that the club have panicked. You could easily say that they made a rational judgement based on the options available. 

I never thought the £25m was a genuine red line anyway, and had expected a little below. Maybe it will still reach that though.

You could, but you could also say the club made a rod for their own back with club officials quoting £25m in public (Pearson tv or radio whichever it was, pretty sure Tinnion on social media) so it raises the fan expectation that it is a red line. Would bigger clubs have bid for Scott if we hadn’t been so public about £25m? Would that in turn have got other bigger clubs interested? 

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Max wasn't great again tonight was he?

Came and then went back and got his positioning wrong for their equaliser. 

Then in the second half kicked the ball directly to their player who played it to an Oxford player who had an abysmal effort.

Signs for me in last 2 games, that there's been no improvement since last season.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hope NP doesn't do an erstwhile Wolves boss, and walk !

Can’t see it, given how rational he seems to be about stuff like this he’ll understand the importance of it while still being disappointed, probably also annoyed that it’s happened once the season has started  rather than a few weeks ago. Bournemouth seem to have come back for Scott after the move for another player collapsed 

• Like 2