IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Statement here https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-men-news/alex-scott-joins-afc-bournemouth/

City owner Steve Lansdown CBE said: “Alex has developed into a top-class footballer and we have been privileged to watch him play over the past few years and wear the Bristol City shirt.

“We are sorry to see Alex go but Bournemouth have met our valuation and this is an opportunity for him to follow his football dream in the Premier League. He goes with our blessing and will always have a special place in the hearts of Bristol City fans.”

• Like 1

Struggling not to be gutted that arguably our most talented ever player has gone to Bournemouth. It’s the reality of the where we stand as a club in 2023, but to my mind at least it’s also an inescapable reminder of just how much this club has underachieved compared to smaller rivals for many, many years now.

But it’s also a huge financial shot in the arm for our club in the difficult post-Covid era, and it could still prove to be a very good day for the club in the medium to long term, if it gives us a firm financial platform from which to build the squad into genuine promotion contenders. And we have to proud of City’s academy for recognising the talent and developing it into something so wonderful - and lucrative.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

As in it was lansdown who wanted to sell rather than those 3 ? 

Nah, think Steve with his Guernsey connection and linkages with the ‘local’ club,  plus biggest ever transfer income for the Club wants to have some reflected glory. No issue with that at all. 

• Like 1

So that’s 3 of our players signed by Bournemouth now . Kelly , Semenyo and now Scott . Kelly as I recall badly aggravated an old injury soon after arriving and was out for months . Semenyo’s shin splints have flared up again and will be out for some time and Scott has just been signed with a knee injury more significant than first thought . That’s approximately £50m we’ve had from Bournemouth for 3 injured players !! Bournemouth fans must be holding their breath a bit !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

25 plus add ons. Good deal

E4782CD0-110E-4158-9D5E-5E4E0F27FE75.png

Think it is more like rising to £25m with add-ons included.

The closest that we will get to finding out will be when we see the annual accounts for 2023-24...could be November 2024, could be Spring 2025.

If we are lucky, post Balance Sheet transactions in the 2022-23 may also reflect. Won't be hard to work backwards..they could appear in Autumn 2023 ie October/November or Spring 2024.

BBC confirmation, https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66465443

IMO this was inevitable and I wish Alex continued success, he has been exemplary on and off the pitch for us.

Think we have maximised and managed the situation well and while I appreciate some fans will be disappointed every player has their price and in the best interests of the player and the Club the timing was just about right.

So good luck and thank you Alex Scott, look forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If Nige doesn't get some, I can see him walking away, sadly ? 

Nige has said previously that if we sale Alex he will not be handed a large sum to invest in the team.It will help to steady the ship.The sale brings a bit of stability to the wage bill,there will not be any big signings.

7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

A few positives to take on a tricky afternoon for us:

-£20+ million, 25 achievable according to some journos, secures the club for years. Many clubs can only dream of that kind of influx.

-The 4 players we have brought in, and previous windows, show Tinns and the team don’t miss very often. They have money now.

-Jason Knight needs one more goal this season to better Scott’s total last season and it’s August 9th. It’s the current pecking order, B’mouth took our Starboy but our status as a Championship club meant we could take Derby’s.

-In very recent memory, our academy has given us Scott, Semenyo, Bell, Conway, Kelly, and Benarous. Araoye, Yeboah, Palmer-Houlden, Kinght-Lebel and Francois are loading, and who knows who’s after them. Scott was generational, but the way our academy is going, we’ll have more stars coming soon.

Chins up. Big season ahead.

Yes. Dare I say it, you are spot on. 

Is it significant that Mr Lansdown made the statement, possibly. Does it matter, no, as long as Mr Pearson isn’t handing in his resignation. 

None of us know if we will buy/bring in anyone by EO August but, if we have a chance in January what we do know is there is wedge available! 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

A few positives to take on a tricky afternoon for us:

-£20+ million, 25 achievable according to some journos, secures the club for years. Many clubs can only dream of that kind of influx.

-The 4 players we have brought in, and previous windows, show Tinns and the team don’t miss very often. They have money now.

-Jason Knight needs one more goal this season to better Scott’s total last season and it’s August 9th. It’s the current pecking order, B’mouth took our Starboy but our status as a Championship club meant we could take Derby’s.

-In very recent memory, our academy has given us Scott, Semenyo, Bell, Conway, Kelly, and Benarous. Araoye, Yeboah, Palmer-Houlden, Kinght-Lebel and Francois are loading, and who knows who’s after them. Scott was generational, but the way our academy is going, we’ll have more stars coming soon.

Chins up. Big season ahead.

Totally agree but with TC now out until November it’s imperative that we bring in a striker . We now run the risk however of being rinsed by another club if we buy though so I honestly believe that now is the perfect storm of circumstances where we should break our no loans rule !! ( Presuming Nige can’t pursuade his Bessie mate Jamie Vardy to join us as a player coach of course ! …….. I can dream ?

Edited by Baldyman

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Totally agree but with TC now out until November it’s imperative that we bring in a striker . We now run the risk however of being rinsed by another club if we buy though so I honestly believe that now is the perfect storm of circumstances where we should break our no loans rule !! ( Presuming Nige can’t pursuade his Bessie mate Jamie Vardy to join us as a player coach of course ! …….. I can dream ?

Oooh give me a season of Vardy ball ?

13 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Nah, think Steve with his Guernsey connection and linkages with the ‘local’ club,  plus biggest ever transfer income for the Club wants to have some reflected glory. No issue with that at all. 

I actually wonder if it’s the opposite, wants to be the person taking the flack  (ie it was my decision to sell at the end of the day).

Disappointed but tbh it was to be expected. There aren't many on here who at the end of last season said "that's the last time we'll see him in a City shirt". Other than a few friendly appearances this pre-season, they were right.

It's going to end up being our biggest fee received eventually (probably), and if he doesn't make the future England squads, I'd be amazed.

He's  great player, has his head screwed on, and didn't kick up a stink when other players in his position could, and have done so.

Good luck to him, I really hope he goes on to have a fantastic career no matter where he goes in the future. Can't fault the lad, you really can't. Bournemouth have a real gem on their hands.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Raise expectations to sell season cards

Sell best players to smallish teams overtaking us

Get loads of injuries

Finish lower table while another smallish team like Millwall get promoted 

Rinse and Repeat 

Yes, It has felt like this for years, but what can we do? I don’t think anything will change with Lansdown in charge. It appears Nige wasn’t on the same page with SL, but of course they have different interests/needs at the club.

Any prized assets will be sold. But it’s how we use it now. Previously with big sales we’ve pissed it away, mainly in the LJ era. Then the next big sale that came around we’ve had to balance the books.

It’ll be interesting to see what we do with it this time around, seeing as we’re now financially okay. 

I’ve got more faith in Nige in knowing what to do with it than previous ‘coaches’.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

How does everyone reassess their expectations for the season? For me, the outside chance of the play offs (which I’m perfectly happy with given the lack of parachute payments) has been replaced with expectations of 14-17th and little to play for past February. How depressing.

Yes you are!

12 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

How does everyone reassess their expectations for the season? For me, the outside chance of the play offs (which I’m perfectly happy with given the lack of parachute payments) has been replaced with expectations of 14-17th and little to play for past February. How depressing.

I was 6-8th and now I’m 10-12th