IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

An absolute joy to see how Scott has developed his game, given us some great memories and made us a nice wedge on leaving. His contribution to this club and its future has been immense. He has inspired so many in our academy that can follow in his footsteps and really put our academy on the map. Nothing whatsoever to feel bitter about. The boy has earned the right to progress his career.. I Would have loved to have seen him lead us to the promised land but it was not not to be.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

How does everyone reassess their expectations for the season? For me, the outside chance of the play offs (which I’m perfectly happy with given the lack of parachute payments) has been replaced with expectations of 14-17th and little to play for past February. How depressing.

I honestly don’t see how you can think that Alex on his own would be worth a ten place upgrade in our league season. Good, yes, miracle worker, no.

• Like 2

We were lucky to have him and help develop into the player he is now , great team player seemed to get on with everyone and was the start of young players coming through . 

All the best im not sour about him going to Bournemouth but if he carries on his progress he won't be there for long hope he makes it all the way to the top. 

20 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

My personal thought on all this is … as much as it annoys me that he’s gone.. I under the deal..

but… 

this all reminds me how mad it is that Bournemouth Brentford and especially Brighton have kicked on in the way they have 

I know we are a “2 city team” but how have we not got it right once in the last however many years 

Was with you, right up until you said "especially Brighton". Cos that's nonsense.

8 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

It being Bournemouth is what stings the most as they only got to the prem by cheating ffp while clubs who try and stick to it get nowhere 

Only a handful of clubs have actually been in breach in the year of promotion. Definitively Bournemouth, Leicester and QPR.

Then a couple more where it was sketchy ie Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and Wolves.

Most went up compliant however.

Derby, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday all got their just desserts however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

18 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I honestly don’t see how you can think that Alex on his own would be worth a ten place upgrade in our league season. Good, yes, miracle worker, no.

I agree. Even if he'd stayed, we're not strong enough in midfield or wide forwards to be promoted.

So we wish him well, take the money and use it to strengthen the squad as a whole - which will take time. Whether there's the patience for steady, incremental progress is another thing altogether, though. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Was with you, right up until you said "especially Brighton". Cos that's nonsense.

Hear what you are saying... and knew people would think that.. and know that their process has been way longer... but I remember when they were a league one side .. now they are one of the most exciting clubs in the country.. playing in Europe... holding onto players like Caicedo unless someone coughs up 100 million quid.

Different situation to the other two yes.. but to me seeing what they have become and what we haven't been able to winds me up. So nah not nonsense.  

25 minutes ago, M.D said:

Because we have never put the right footballing people in the right jobs to run the club.

We've only just started to do this and are unfortunately still footing the bill for previous employees running of the club.

It starts with the owner doesn't it. Look at Brighton & Brentford. The fact that the Brentford owner used to work for the Brighton owner says a lot about how good Tony Bloom is at what he does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

50 minutes ago, wtf said:

What a building we would be building if, (even just going back a few seasons) we could have hung on to the likes of Brownhill, Webster, Kelly, Fammy, Smith, Morrell, A Semenyo, Alex Scott and others but no we ALWAYS sell our best under the pretex of building a promo challenging squad.

Well where is it that squad we are building? be sure any outstanding player this season will also be hovered up by anyone who wants to pass us by as we continously circle around this div. Sad Arrested Development GIF

God knows how you’ve got fam , Morrell or even korey in that list 

8 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

It being Bournemouth is what stings the most as they only got to the prem by cheating ffp while clubs who try and stick to it get nowhere 

My thoughts also, got away with murder and since then have had the funds to keep attracting young players even when relegated and bouncing back 

I would have loved those three players we sold to them to have stayed with us and got promoted the legal way but you cannot deny these lads the opportunity to play at the highest level 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Hear what you are saying... and knew people would think that.. and know that their process has been way longer... but I remember when they were a league one side .. now they are one of the most exciting clubs in the country.. playing in Europe... holding onto players like Caicedo unless someone coughs up 100 million quid.

Different situation to the other two yes.. but to me seeing what they have become and what we haven't been able to winds me up. So nah not nonsense.  

The interesting thing about Brighton was, unlike the others they always had a large dormant fanbase

They were in the top flight from 1979-80 to 1982-83, reaching a Cup final.

Goldstone Ground being pulled from under them, playing at Gillingham then the Withdean put a major cap on their potential.

They were able to capitalise at just the right time.

Promotion also coincided with move to the Amex in 2010-11.

In 2011-12, attendances soared from about 7-7.5k to 20k and fairly sure other revenues also stepped up seeing their income rise by a factor of between 2.5 and 3- this can give a club significant momentum.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Brighton are a similar sized club to be fair, the other two are tiny.

This transfer really hurts 

I think it's what Brighton used to be compared to where they are now which is frustrating, supporters have every right to be frustrated at our overall lack of progress.

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

Lansdown sells the top talent, as usual. 

You're talking as if SL has pushed him out the door and is now rolling around in the millions like Scrouge McDuck.

Everyone seems to forget that Alex Scott himself has a part to play in all of this. As of midday today, Alex Scott at the age of 19 has secured his and his family's future for the rest of his life. As we know full well, injuries happen far too much in football. Imagine he got injured in 2 weeks time with an ACL. He doesn't need to worry about his future now, he can just focus on his football.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The interesting thing about Brighton was, unlike the others they always had a large dormant fanbase

They were in the top flight from 1979-80 to 1982-83, reaching a Cup final.

Goldstone Ground being pulled from under them, playing at Gillingham then the Withdean put a major cap on their potential.

They were able to capitalise at just the right time.

Promotion also coincided with move to the Amex in 2010-11.

In 2011-12, attendances soared from about 7.5k to 20k and fairly sure other revenues also stepped up seeing their income rise by a factor of between 2.5 and 3- this can give a club significant momentum.

Ah well excuse my lack of knowledge then both of you .. I was actually chatting nonsense.. slightly before my time. I stand corrected.

Anyway Brentford and Bournemouth can do one. Haha 

edit: still think seeing where they're at and where we have been for the last 15 is a little annoying 

Edited by Not Banksy

8 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It starts with the owner doesn't it. Look at Brighton & Brentford. The fact that the Brentford owner used to work for the Brighton owner says a lot about how good Tony Bloom is at what he does.

Completely, bloom is a good poker player and a rich business man but didn't know how to run the infrastructure of a football club so employed the best football people he could and listened to them.

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

How does everyone reassess their expectations for the season? For me, the outside chance of the play offs (which I’m perfectly happy with given the lack of parachute payments) has been replaced with expectations of 14-17th and little to play for past February. How depressing.

Same as before, we were a stronger team with Scott but we aren't a 1 man team, 

• Like 3

The way I look at this - is Scott 10 times better than Knight at Championship level? Ofcourse he isn’t - therefore we are right to sell at the right price.

The most important thing now is how we go about finding 3 more Jason Knights / Hayden Roberts level players.

• Like 3