IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, wtf said:

What a building we would be building if, (even just going back a few seasons) we could have hung on to the likes of Brownhill, Webster, Kelly, Fammy, Smith, Morrell, A Semenyo, Alex Scott and others but no we ALWAYS sell our best under the pretex of building a promo challenging squad.

Well where is it that squad we are building? be sure any outstanding player this season will also be hovered up by anyone who wants to pass us by as we continously circle around this div. Sad Arrested Development GIF

Well this is all kinds of stupid

Smith is now 32 his legs have gone and is injury prone, if we relied on him we'd be in trouble

Brownhill would of left on a free as his contract would of expired

Webster would of left on a free as his contract would of expired

Fammy left on a free because his contract expired

Morrell isn't a championship player

Kelly would of left on a free as his contract would of expired

Semenyo would of left on a free as his contract would of expired

Please can you share the secret to the footballing world how you force players to stay at a club because you will make ******* billions

• Like 8
  • Flames 4

• The title was changed to Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed
25 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It starts with the owner doesn't it. Look at Brighton & Brentford. The fact that the Brentford owner used to work for the Brighton owner says a lot about how good Tony Bloom is at what he does.

Poker? Or is he finished with that? ?

1 hour ago, Malvern Red said:

Raise expectations to sell season cards

Sell best players to smallish teams overtaking us

Get loads of injuries

Finish lower table while another smallish team like Millwall get promoted 

Rinse and Repeat 

- Only a complete idiot wouldn’t have considered the possibility of Scott leaving and the club never promised otherwise.

- That smallish team has already overtaken us long ago, hence why they can afford the fee and the wages.

- Injuries are a fact of life for all teams, and all teams buy and sell.

- The huge fee gives the club a firm financial grounding after the difficult post-Covid period upon which to build, rather than risk an unhappy player who would ultimately leave for nothing. A component of any club working it’s way up is to both buy and sell.

- Show me a club that doesn’t sell its best players to higher level clubs for the right price.

TLDR; you’re talking rubbish mate.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Smith is now 32 his legs have gone and is injury prone, if we relied on him we'd be in trouble

Please can you share the secret to the footballing world how you force players to stay at a club because you will make ******* billions

Sorry Monkeh I agree with the post but the use of “of” when you mean “have” triggers me. I can cope with it once in a post but it’s driving me mental here!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

All that says to me is that whoever is dealing with contracts dropped the ball... but we all know how badly our recruiting was during this period, if we didnt sell them we would be even more worse off for ffp right now.

Edited by prankerd

1 hour ago, wtf said:

What a building we would be building if, (even just going back a few seasons) we could have hung on to the likes of Brownhill, Webster, Kelly, Fammy, Smith, Morrell, A Semenyo, Alex Scott and others but no we ALWAYS sell our best under the pretex of building a promo challenging squad.

Well where is it that squad we are building? be sure any outstanding player this season will also be hovered up by anyone who wants to pass us by as we continously circle around this div. Sad Arrested Development GIF

“Anyone who wants to pass us by”.

They’ve already done that. Long ago. You make it sound like we’ve sold to a Championship play off rival.

When was the last time we sold our best players to a club that wasn’t already well ahead of us and capable of offering something we couldn’t?

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

Creative ? , if so offer them a couple of quid and bobs your uncle ?

Bit of a general in midfield, can play any role centrally including AM. Creative? Has it in his locker certainly. Hull are keen too. Valued at around £3M but ooc next summer, I think.

Let's see if Knighty can swing it our way, if the links are true.

Edited by Ska Junkie

Bournemouth - City head to head; Bourne 30 wins, 24 draws, City 37wins, on paper not a lot in the results; yet seemingly miles apart in transfer buying ability.

Why are, and respect to them, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford etc in a different league to us? is it just poor manager selections on our part; we have the fans we have the ground, what are we doing so wrong ?

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Bit of a general in midfield, can play any role centrally including AM. Creative? Has it in his locker certainly. Hull are keen too. Valued at around £3M but ooc next summer, I think.

Let's see if Knighty can swing it our way, if the links are true.

If this is the case , let’s start being ruthless , go in meet the valuation get him on board 

with all the doom & gloom of losing Scott and Conway being injured this would get the optimism levels back up and running , this year we really need momentum as I honestly think if we can stay in the mix until January with a strength in depth ( if we are lucky with injuries ) we could surprise a few in the run in 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperDziek said:

Great transfer for City and for Alex. Can’t argue with it, particularly if the Conway injury forced our hand a bit.

Hopefully we’ll now strengthen in the right areas and continue to progress up the league. 

After all, it’s all about progression, not regression. 

I’d argue we strengthen both the left and right areas if at all possible. And the middle. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wtf said:

Bournemouth - City head to head; Bourne 30 wins, 24 draws, City 37wins, on paper not a lot in the results; yet seemingly miles apart in transfer buying ability.

Why are, and respect to them, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford etc in a different league to us? is it just poor manager selections on our part; we have the fans we have the ground, what are we doing so wrong ?

Preston were the greatest team in England at one point as were huddlesfield and Bradford park avenue were once in the top flight

It happens,

• Like 1

• Admin
11 minutes ago, wtf said:

Trouble is that is heavily based on the long and distant past 

It only seems like yesterday our home game against them was on the verge of being cancelled due to them folding 

Let's just hope we get to play them again in the near future 

• Like 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

This is why City are perennial underachievers. Don't be bitter about having to flog your best player to a smaller side in the PL? Mentality monsters we are. 

Apart from a very small number of clubs, everyone is a selling club

They're only smaller than us in terms of bums on seats and if football is really being judged on that, times are very desperate 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

This is why City are perennial underachievers. Don't be bitter about having to flog your best player to a smaller side in the PL? Mentality monsters we are. 

Key here is Premier league, no team outside the prem can compete,

If Plymouth were to go up and stay up, we wouldn't be able to compete with them,

It baffles me that people don't understand this

If you worked at Asda, but sainsbury came in and offered you 20 times your weekly wage, what would you do?

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 2

I wish Alex all the very best. The most naturally gifted player I’ve ever seen play for us. What a talent he is and I will follow his career with interest. I genuinely hope he goes on to achieve all he deserves in the game.

Absolutely gutted he has gone but I am really struggling to understand those that genuinely believe we could have kept him. We are so far down the pecking order in the football food chain it’s untrue. I have to ask what makes anyone think we could keep him or any other of our players past or present that have developed and improved whilst here?

This one is harder to take than most and without going over old ground too much in years gone by we haven’t had any kind of succession planning. Hopefully now that’s changed and we can improve the squad, which let’s face it needed doing even with Scott. Unfortunately it’s the reality of football and has been for some time. Brentford are the obvious and excellent example of what succession planning can do and if implemented correctly what can be achieved.

I am well into my 30s and as a supporter we have achieved so little in that time. How anyone thinks we can genuinely convince players to stay here rather than play in the prem is beyond me. 

I trust we have got a good deal but we now need to be smart. Crucial remaining few weeks of the window which will now shape our season. All the best Scotty, you will very much be missed.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Historically they're probably smaller.

In the here and now they're wealthier, higher ranked and all importantly in the PL.

Hopefully now this gives us an opportunity to reject bids for key players for the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Key here is Premier league, no team outside the prem can compete,

If Plymouth were to go up and stay up, we wouldn't be able to compete with them,

It baffles me that people don't understand this

If you worked at Asda, but sainsbury came in and offered you 20 times your weekly wage, what would you do?

Yeah I'm baffled here.

Can't believe someone would choose to triple their wage.

I'm more baffled at the people on this forum gayly wishing him his best as though he's not an opposition player now. Will never understand it personally. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

The question is, what constitutes a "big" club? Is it fan base, ground, history or is it where they are in the pyramid?

In many ways we're bigger than Bournemouth & smaller than Derby  however the former nicked our best player & we nicked one of the latter's best players.

From a players perspective their motives are going to be a combo of a) the most dosh & b) playing at the highest level.  Unless they have offers which are comparable in those regards I don't think whether it's a "big" club or not comes into it.

Edited by TDarwall
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, cityexile said:

SL being clear they met our valuation.

Sucks, but got to wish him well. Some teams have gone past us, lots have gone the other way and would have killed for this kind of deal.

We will get there, one day... #AlwaysBelieve

I remember when we sold Lita to Reading, thought the same then. One day we will get there, hopefully in my lifetime ? 

• Like 1