IGNORED

Players Nicknames

westonred

Most players have nicknames ie 'Scotty', 'Bite Your Legs' ,'The Cheif'', 'Jacki' etc but i think one of my fave City players nicknames was 'Wang' after John Kerr a bit mean but very funny

Anyone come up with more nicknames ive forgotten ?

How about one for our new rising star Omar Taylor-Clark .. 'The Sheriff' after the old actor Omar Sharif ?

Without doubt one of my all time favourite football nickname was for Fitz Hall, known as "one size" ?

"Freezer" was a good one for Marc Goodfellow, for he's a jolly Goodfellow.

There are some good cricket ones too, there was a very inconsistent bowler that played for Yorkshire who's nickname as "daisy" because "some days he does, some day's he doesn't".

I always liked Phil Tufnells nickname "cat", not because he was a great fielder, but because he could sleep anywhere. :)

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Waits for Fitz Hall alarm in 5…4..3..2…

It took seconds ?

• Haha 5

City player from the 60s, Bobby Williams, was nicknamed Shadow. Most assumed that this was because of his playing style, but it wasn’t. When he was young he used to try and get a game of football with older boys who didn’t want to play with him. They couldn’t get rid of him and said he was like a shadow, so the name stuck. Much more interesting than the modern trend of just putting a Y on the end of a player’s name. 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

City player from the 60s, Bobby Williams, was nicknamed Shadow. Most assumed that this was because of his playing style, but it wasn’t. When he was young he used to try and get a game of football with older boys who didn’t want to play with him. They couldn’t get rid of him and said he was like a shadow, so the name stuck. Much more interesting than the modern trend of just putting a Y on the end of a player’s name. 

Not a fan of our 11 then? Maxy, Tanney, Roby, Vyney, Pringy, Kaly, Matty, Joey, Scotty, Sykesy, Naky

Tommy Conway kinda breaks the system... Drat

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Yeh, Conwayy and O'Learyy would be pretty crap nicknames.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Just now, Bazooka Joe said:

But Masseng and Atye wouldn't sound right without the O.

I think you're allowed to abbreviate the name and put an S on the end in such cases.  Massengs and Ats. 

That's according to the Northern Bloke's Bible of Acceptable Sportsman Names....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Guy behind me in the Dolman thought Packs nickname was “****ing Hell” from the number of times he shouted it when MP was in possession

Someone I know hated Marlon Pack and slagged him off every game.  He then bumped into MP in a coffee shop and said he was a lovely bloke. Every game after that he praised him! Bizarre 

• Like 1