IGNORED

The end of the 3pm blackout?

CloudyThatchers

On 30/03/2023 at 20:08, Ghost Rider said:

So am I not a “fan” then, as I live outside of Bristol and find it hard to attend games with a very young family? I attended matches home and away for over 15 years, but now I’m not even considered a “fan”? I can’t tell you how upsetting that comment is to me if I’m honest. 

God dont be so sensitive

If you attended games for that long It doesnt make YOU an armchair fan

It was aimed at the fans of the big clubs who never go to games

Hope this makes you fill less upset Not that i care to be honest!!

On 31/03/2023 at 08:09, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I'd add geography as another big reason why people watch the matches on RobinsTV. I haven't lived in Bristol for many years now and while I try and get back for a couple of matches a season, I was very happy when RobinsTV started as I could watch all the matches and support the club financially too. 

One big doubt I have (that someone else mentioned on the thread): will the club get more money from this than they do from the current setup? If so, ok. If all the matches from every club are available, it would be nice to catch the occasional game from other teams, but it also would sting a bit knowing that the money I'm paying goes as much to the gas, Cardiff and Swindon as it does to City. 

That’s where new revenue will be available to the club.  It’s a 16/17 hour day for me to watch a Saturday match at AG and the train is £130+.  So I go once a season or so. Ironically, it’s not City that is making money from me attending matches, it’s Boro, Preston, Sheff Utd etc.

Covid lockdown was an eye opener for me - I watched every match and happily paid the club to do so.   They miss out on that type of revenue stream from people like me now, as they do from those who use VPNs.  It’s time the EFL recognised the reality and regularised access to watch games for a reasonable fee.  Watching on TV is a poor substitute for live matches so I wouldn’t expect that the hit on attendances would be material.

• Like 3

On 29/03/2023 at 17:09, CloudyThatchers said:

Shame it's not on terrestrial TV, somewhere like the BCB, IVT, Chanlen 4 or Channel Fvie!

12 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, the ITV Digital debacle is bound to be in the back of their minds.

Yes was also thinking of the Irish company ( can't remember their name) that came in all guns blazing with Premier league rights and disappeared just as quickly 

• Like 2

I wonder if this will impact upon games that can be streamed by Bristol City TV. I would expect SKY to come up with some costly way to recoup their investment and make a handsome profit.  We may be left with a costly Sky subscription or nothing. I hope not.  DAZN is bold and brash and looks too American for my liking, but it streams to all devices and seems to do a fair job with the boxing.  

9 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I wonder if this will impact upon games that can be streamed by Bristol City TV. I would expect SKY to come up with some costly way to recoup their investment and make a handsome profit.  We may be left with a costly Sky subscription or nothing. I hope not.  DAZN is bold and brash and looks too American for my liking, but it streams to all devices and seems to do a fair job with the boxing.  

Just get a dodgy one, easy enough to come by these days at a fraction of the cost of sky!

On 31/03/2023 at 09:22, Bristol Rob said:

One of the biggest issues here is going to be getting the next generation invested, I'm sure most of us (but not all) went on a similar journey, taken to games as kids enjoyed it and then then as adults continued our commitment. Kids these days..... my nephew (for example), if you ask him who is favourite team is mentions about half a dozen teams - and he's a season ticket holder at the Gate! 

His knowledge of clubs and players in Europe, Sky Sports, MOTD, Champions League and god knows what other tournaments he streams has given him a huge amount of information, he also - when he isn't watching football - either playing football with his mates or more than likely, playing football on his Playstation. 

So yes, he loves City - it's who he goes to see, he was/is also a fan of Barca, PSG a couple of German clubs and some Italian side.

He can't be alone is being bombarded with opportunities to watch games, so for kids who aren't being taken to games, how on earth would showing every game encourage them to part with cash, get off the sofa and go and see sport in a live setting? 

I agree with all that, taking the money now would be a short term view in my opinion. I am sure that for a club like ours it would be doubly so, it's not just about ticket sales but also about the commercial side once fans are here whether F&B or in the shop. 

It's been more integral to the club since the stadium rebuild but it's also a key driver behind the Sporting Quarter development. Restaurants and bars, a better shop, bigger fan zone, all show that we need footfall for all the sports to make it viable.  

The only thing any of the clubs outside the Premier League can offer that will get new supporters from the local area is the match day experience, choosing to watch Bristol City over Manchester City, Liverpool, etc in your own home won't happen in my opinion.