IGNORED

ANIS?

pillred

Well where do I start, he has played enough games for most of us me included to draw some kind of conclusion, for me he has all the tools to be a great player, balance pace and skill what frustrates me is that he rarely makes the right choices when he is in good positions, at least a couple of times today he shot when he should have passed and vice versa, I'm hoping our coaching staff can turn him into the player we all know he is capable of being but at the moment I wish he just thought a little before the final ball.    

• Like 2

Well I suppose if he was doing that, he wouldn’t be playing for us having come from L1. He’d been top end Champ/Prem. A lot at of the pro level is more about decision making and consistency rather than ability, which they all have to have made it as a pro. So that’s exactly what we’ll be coaching into him whilst he’s here and if he takes it on he’ll progress and if he doesn’t he won’t.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I reckon he is the ******* child of Callum O'dowda and Nicolas Eliason ? Not the best we've seen him today but exciting watch. Hoping for an increase in end product. 

Style of play is nothing like either of them. Lazy comparison.

• Like 6

Reminds me a lot of Lee Trundle, in that when he’s on the ball, he looks so dangerous, naturally skilful and really opens teams up.

His finishing isn’t there yet, but that’s what we have coaches for. He’s still young and I think he could end up, one of the best signings we’ve made in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Style of play is nothing like either of them. Lazy comparison.

I don't really think they were trying to compare, just using 2 players we know to say he is a bit of a mix of the 2.

The energy/running levels of O'Dowda and the flair/excitement of Eliasson.

If so, picked 2 suitable players imo as I got exactly what they meant.

• Thanks 1

The few signings that Pearson has made, all remind me of those unknowns that he signed for Leicester in the couple/three years before they won the Premier title.

So for Mehmeti, what was Mahrez like in his first three months? Quick but not like a Varney. Decent ball control but using only one foot and thus as a wide left player, tending to cut in with his strong foot rather than using the weaker foot and going by defenders on the outside.

I wonder how good, or poor, Mahrez was when he arrived at being a team player? I also remember the Semenyo of two/three years ago. Tremendous pace but iffy ball control and not much football brain.

So at the moment, I'll not criticise Anis too much even though it's very frustrating to watch him. Let's give him some time to get accustomed to the quality of Championship defenders, learn from coaches "when to do" and more importantly "when not to".

And when to go for a shot and when a pass will be the best option.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I reckon he is the ******* child of Callum O'dowda and Nicolas Eliason ? Not the best we've seen him today but exciting watch. Hoping for an increase in end product. 

Things i never thought I'd read... O'dowda and exciting in the same sentence. 

Mehmeti got me out of my seat more in his first 6 games than o'dowda did in his whole 6 years.

As mentioned elsewhere, if Mehmeti learns effective decision making, he'll be a serious threat for us 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Well where do I start, he has played enough games for most of us me included to draw some kind of conclusion, for me he has all the tools to be a great player, balance pace and skill what frustrates me is that he rarely makes the right choices when he is in good positions, at least a couple of times today he shot when he should have passed and vice versa, I'm hoping our coaching staff can turn him into the player we all know he is capable of being but at the moment I wish he just thought a little before the final ball.    

Will be interesting to see how he progresses but to me is just a bit of a show pony just now.

• Like 2

As someone else has said, if he had everything on the OPs list and 100% decision making, he certainly wouldn’t be playing here. With our new model of buying from the lower league (cheap) then we’ve got to be more patient when it come to player development. We certainly aren’t going to get the finished articles . 

• Like 3

I think he is trying to hard to impress, he just needs to relax and stop overthinking. Yesterday I thought he reacted to the crowds reaction when he failed to beat his man, so he tried to pass the ball, when he would have normally taken his man on, or vice versa. 

He reminds me a little of how Steve Neville was when he first came here, so keen to impress, but almost beating himself at times. 

• Like 5

The old chestnut of making judgement too early is happening again . His decision making wasn’t always the best yesterday but he still drew men to him as he had in previous games. The difference was that without adequate support from behind and most crucially without Scott there was nobody taking advantage of the space he creates. Semenyo had similar criticisms that became less with the emergence of Pring and Scott. The young lad Omar did well yesterday but the gap that Scott will leave will impact individuals as well as the team shape and Nige will have his work cut out adjusting the balance of the team in the summer.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s settled in well, but…

Broken record for me….it’s better to judge him when he’s got Pring playing behind him.  Dasilva is not playing well and therefore he’s a lone-threat down our left at the mo’.

I’m seriously not worried about him at all, for me, he’s contributed in virtually every game….just hasn’t had the end product to justify how he’s played.

Not saying he’s been a superstar or anything like that, but I’m more than happy with what he’s produced so far.

I think he is exciting to watch, and obviously I like that.

I do think though he he desperate to succeed and the more things don't quite happen for him the more 'greedier' he gets. if that's the right word. He tries to beat one man too many, makes the extra pass or fails too. 

He needs to settle. It's hard for him making the step up from league One and joining mid season. He also needs the right players around him as you rightly say.

• Like 1

Had virtually half the pitch to himself in the second half yesterday. Did a lot right when receiving the ball and setting up against the defender, but man his decision making from that point was frustrating. Not all players develop into the full package, so we have to accept the possibility that he might be one of those, but time on his side for now. I would accept that patience is required, but yesterday was a tough watch when Reading were so poor, and Anis had so much space and time to work in. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ecko said:

One word: raw. I think he will become a top championship player. Over the summer, if he works on his end product, he will be one of our best players.

Next season will be a big year for him.

This.

He reminds of me young Bolasie. There was something there but was still raw and led to some poor decisions.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think he is trying to hard to impress, he just needs to relax and stop overthinking. Yesterday I thought he reacted to the crowds reaction when he failed to beat his man, so he tried to pass the ball, when he would have normally taken his man on, or vice versa. 

He reminds me a little of how Steve Neville was when he first came here, so keen to impress, but almost beating himself at times. 

Yeah, agree with this. Another example - his shooting seems quite wayward - yet he scored goals for Wycombe. He knows where the goal is - just needs to get one on the scoresheet and relax.

• Like 1

I didn't think he was great yesterday over all, but as I've been willing to give Tanner and Atkinson time to settle after the step up , I really have to remind myself to do the same for Mehmetti.
I thought Jay was better support yesterday , than he has been , and there was signs Anis was willing to lay the ball off a little earlier. Having Pring as support would be a whole different thing. You could see later on when Pring (from CB) made 2 or 3 great bursting runs. Give the option of Cam supporting Anis and it will make up for him always wanting to come inside.
He still is massively one sided, yes he did knock a couple of crosses in with his left but I hope he really works on his weaker foot. Look at Scott, his ability to go either way makes him hard to stop. If Mehmetti gets more comfortable going outside he will be a much bigger threat. 
Really I think the rest of the season is a bedding in opportunity for him, and Cornick to some extent. We have to be patient and he could be a real asset .

• Like 1

As everybody else has said, yesterday was so frustrating, and mainly due to Anis and his terrible decision making.

He is an exciting player, and I am sure we will see an improvement next year after a preseason with Jason Euell in particular, and Nige.

I cannot remember such as frustrating afternoon as yesterday in a long time, because Reading were so poor and there for the taking. "FFS Anis, shooooooot !!!"

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s settled in well, but…

Broken record for me….it’s better to judge him when he’s got Pring playing behind him.  Dasilva is not playing well and therefore he’s a lone-threat down our left at the mo’.

I’m seriously not worried about him at all, for me, he’s contributed in virtually every game….just hasn’t had the end product to justify how he’s played.

Not saying he’s been a superstar or anything like that, but I’m more than happy with what he’s produced so far.

Agree need to get rid of Dasilva .

• Confused 1

I think he will come good and might be a  candidate for Alex Scott's position if the latter is sold as expected although, personally, I'd play Weimann or Conway there.  Andi Weimann has been a bit unlucky having scored 22 goals playing centrally last season to be stuck out wide.  Conway plays exceptionally well in that number 10 position as well.  

It's a balancing act coaching players like Mehmeti as you don't want to curb their natural instincts too much by over-coaching or give a mass of instructions that makes them lose their natural flair.  Players like him are often confidence-based players so once he has got his first goal then I expect him to push on.  

Another player who, like Weimann, might feel harshly treated is Sam Bell who lost his position out wide to Anis despite going on a mini-prolific scoring run before the new signings.  I think with both him and Andi Weimann it highlights that certain players only thrive in their favoured positions. 

As some have mentioned, both Bell and Mehmeti play better with Pring at full-back.  Pring, even more than Zak Vyner who has pushed on so positively, has taken his chance and grown (at full-back especially) from being perceived as a squad player with potential, to an essential starter with top Championship qualities.  A rare player with both defensive and offensive attributes. Pearson also recognises his athleticism and engine and calls him a modern footballer. You never know with Nige, but I think that's his version of high praise!

2 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Agree need to get rid of Dasilva .

He's been in better form, but he's far from the worst left back/left sided player in the Championship. As Nigel says, he's a big man in his head, and I like the fact that he got the better or Carroll in a few challenges yesterday.

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I didn't think he was great yesterday over all, but as I've been willing to give Tanner and Atkinson time to settle after the step up , I really have to remind myself to do the same for Mehmetti.
I thought Jay was better support yesterday , than he has been , and there was signs Anis was willing to lay the ball off a little earlier. Having Pring as support would be a whole different thing. You could see later on when Pring (from CB) made 2 or 3 great bursting runs. Give the option of Cam supporting Anis and it will make up for him always wanting to come inside.
He still is massively one sided, yes he did knock a couple of crosses in with his left but I hope he really works on his weaker foot. Look at Scott, his ability to go either way makes him hard to stop. If Mehmetti gets more comfortable going outside he will be a much bigger threat. 
Really I think the rest of the season is a bedding in opportunity for him, and Cornick to some extent. We have to be patient and he could be a real asset .

How strange that a lad who has struggled to get into our squad never mind first team last season (Cam Pring )is so pivotal to how we play , also one of the bursts from the back yesterday was so impressive he had already ran from about the 18 yard box was halfway inside there half then fronted one of there defenders give him the look put on the afterburners and left him for dead .  Think he is not even our quickest player I suppose it’s just with his physique and how he runs makes him look such a powerful unit . 

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He's been in better form, but he's far from the worst left back/left sided player in the Championship. As Nigel says, he's a big man in his head, and I like the fact that he got the better or Carroll in a few challenges yesterday.

Hes crap can't tackle gets beat on the far post no threat going forward and can't cross a ball watch mehmettis game improve once,pring is behind him .

• Haha 1