IGNORED

Adam Webster

5 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I've never felt a more strong affinity with the national side. It's the first team where I've liked every player with the shirt on and given a toss about qualification matches etc.

Southgate has created that. 

Southgate deserves loads of credit, but when it comes to the crunch he doesn’t have the tactical nous to win a major trophy IMO, which has the potential to be another tremendous waste of the talent he has available. And I would absolutely love to eat the whole humble pie to be proved wrong. 

Webster is class and could play for England; not for the first time in his career injuries are the problem. 

• Like 1

Southgate puts more weight on England performances than club form (as many national managers do). As such Maguire and Stones won't be dropped from the England team unless they play badly on international duty.

5 hours ago, The Coach said:

Southgate's meal deal is just ham with ready salted crisp and a bottle of water

No other players will get a look in as long as GS is in charge. Misplaced loyalty. 

Continuity and a settled side are part of it too. You can’t just throw together eleven players who are on the best league form.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Exactly, thats what we did when forcing Lampard and Gerrard together in a 442 when quite clearly a partnership of Carrick and Gerrard would have been so much better for the team

We have a lot of attacking talent, so it's easy to see why some fans might clamour for those to be included, but two deeper midfielders is an established style of play at international level. 

Nobody is saying that Henderson or Phillips are better than Foden, for example. But we play better with Henderson in the team, he was arguably our most influential player at the world cup as he allowed Bellingham to play and supported Saka with his selfless overlaps like he does for Salah. 

There are elements that could be improved, sure. But after a lifetime where we've had one good manager (Hoddle) I'd sooner support Southgate and trust his judgement than pine for a change that will more than likely lead to a bad appointment 

Carrick or Hargreaves behind Lampard and Gerrard or perhaps Carrick behind Scholes and one of Lampard or Gerrard better still IMO- or would have been 

40 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Indeed, however 433 wasn't quite here yet for much of that, would have been ideal if we had adopted it earlier. That said, we had a distinct lack of wingers at that point who could play 433, Owen and Rooney were amongst the best forwards in the world etc etc. 

Sven actually dabbled with it a bit in some of the 2006 games but yeah it wasn't such a big thing then- maybe in some Southern European and South American football moreso. Think Italy maybe used it at times in 2006. Oh yeah, Holland- some of them love 4-3-3.

Ironically Big Sam of all people had a 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid in the mid 2000s- the dinosaur himself. Well ahead of his time with that one! One of the first in the PL at that time to use it regularly I expect.

Wingers or wide fowards, suppose I'm applying hindsight unfairly tbh- back then the template was two wingers and central striker agreed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 05/04/2023 at 09:42, Countryfile said:

Always feel a bit sorry for Maguire that he often plays on the LHS of a two while being predominantly right footed.

It’s his preferred position

On 05/04/2023 at 12:25, Percy Pig said:

A semi, a final and a Quarters pretty much makes Southgate our most successful manager of all time, Ramsey won a home WC and did nothing after...

What's made him successful has been creating a club atmosphere at international level. Stones is the best English centre back by a country mile, its not even close to whoever is second. Maguire has never had a bad game for England. 

Think he's earned the right to do whatever he wants tbh. 

Whilst I generally like Maguire for England he’s definitely had bad games. He’s well in credit though

• Like 1

On 04/04/2023 at 22:42, formerly known as ivan said:

Miss placed loyalty no doubt given his link to the club, but what does he have to do to get into the England squad???

Looking at the last squad, a centre back that doesn’t play for his club is starting and on the bench is Dier who is having a more than mixed season at Spurs and Guehi who is hardly having a standout season for Palace.

Webster is playing a key part in Brighton team who with their games in hand could find themselves third in the premier league!

It’s absolute madness.

I have to say, whilst not really arguing with Southgate's selection policy, it does seem odd, that I have just watched him give a masterful display for Brighton with some superb passing out from the back and defending against the likes of Rashford, yet he barely got a mention in the TV commentary. It was almost like he was invisible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have to say, whilst not really arguing with Southgate's selection policy, it does seem odd, that I have just watched him give a masterful display for Brighton with some superb passing out from the back and defending against the likes of Rashford, yet he barely got a mention in the TV commentary. It was almost like he was invisible.

Needed JP to be doing the commentary

Im sure he would have got a mention or two then!!!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Nice pen, big man, shame can't say the same for Solly. Felt for the guy though. Always a tough way to lose.

I felt Brighton, overall, had created the better chances, but as in many City matches, this can bite your arse when you don't finish them.

When it came to pens, I knew United would spawn it. 

Still a nice back-and-forward game for the neutral and glad Adam buried his spot kick. Passed it to the side netting, just like I used to do in all mine.  ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I felt Brighton, overall, had created the better chances, but as in many City matches, this can bite your arse when you don't finish them.

When it came to pens, I knew United would spawn it. 

Still a nice back-and-forward game for the neutral and glad Adam buried his spot kick. Passed it to the side netting, just like I used to do in all mine.  ?

They really missed the young lad Ferguson who has been superb this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Did Darren Barnard,Tinnion or Bell ever miss one,can't remember off the top of my head?

I saw Bell blaze a last-minute penalty over the bar at Blackpool in a 0-0 draw. That was the only one I can recall him missing, though. Was generally really good from the spot.

I feel like Tinnion had at least one saved, but can’t remember the game…

• Like 1