IGNORED

Managers you are glad we have never had at City

Lanterne Rouge

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I bet you’re one of those fans who still calls “socks”, “stockings”!!,

Socks and suspenders! :)

They were a thing, so who else can remember their Dad wearing  these?

image.png.c31efdc678ec6cd9e5d459be3142be7f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Beck was even known to lace the tea

I remember lacing my boots and can even remember lacing a football, but never lacing the tea.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I bet you’re one of those fans who still calls “socks”, “stockings”!!,

I seem to remember that Gerald Sinstadt in his commentary always used to refer to a teams strip as shorts and stockings.

Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, Chris Hughton , Mick McCartney & Sam Alleradyce.

Pearson gets lumped in with some of the old-fashioned managers who relied on discipline and giving players a hard time . He demands a lot but he's a lot smarter than that and generally all the players who have played for him are quite glowing in their praise for his man management. 

I'm not saying all the managers above are old school but we did pick the right guy from those who would be labelled 'experienced'  and one who has been motivated (and stubborn) enough to transform the Club at all levels without whinging about lack of funds.  He's brought in academy players out of necessity to some extent but he's done it willingly and astutely.

• Like 1

We’re lucky to have Pearson in my view. The more I see his interviews the more he impresses me. He’s very honest, says it as it is and his deep knowledge of the beautiful game and what it takes to build a successful team is there for all to see.

It’ll be a sad day when he retires or moves on.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Didn't he get their groundsman to leave the grass lingerie in the last 15-20 yards to the goallines so they could hit long balls that would hold up fir their forwards to chase down?

GJ might have been involved in this!

He used to turn off the hot water supply in the away changing rooms too.

In hindsight I’m glad that Chris Hughton never managed us… although I really wanted him at the time.

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

He used to turn off the hot water supply in the away changing rooms too.

In hindsight I’m glad that Chris Hughton never managed us… although I really wanted him at the time.

Sliding doors syndrome?

It did look for all the world that Hughton was the nailed on choice and almost unanimous favourite among fans.

However, had we got him we probably wouldn't have got Pearson, who seems to have been doing well in the tough circumstances he inherited post LJ and MA. 

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’re lucky to have Pearson in my view. The more I see his interviews the more he impresses me. He’s very honest, says it as it is and his deep knowledge of the beautiful game and what it takes to build a successful team is there for all to see.

It’ll be a sad day when he retires or moves on.

As much as Mark Ashton impressed you ?,  I seem to remember you were so taken with him you called him Mr C harisma .,..........no such nickname for Nige though? ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

As much as Mark Ashton impressed you ?,  I seem to remember you were so taken with him you called him Mr C harisma .,..........no such nickname for Nige though? ?

Two very different people CR. I can’t imagine Nige would have got  along with Ashton for a minute. Unlike me and many others Nige would have seen thru him right away.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Didn't he get their groundsman to leave the grass lingerie in the last 15-20 yards to the goallines so they could hit long balls that would hold up fir their forwards to chase down?

GJ might have been involved in this!

LJ would of measured it 

• Like 1

Houghton - on paper, I can see why it was appealing. I just don't think he'd have worked here.

Our fans tend to warm to more salt-of-the-earth types (GJ, SC, NP) - and don't warm to people who aren't naturally charismatic and/or talk in fluffy detail (SO'D, LJ, Coppell). With that in mind, I don't think Houghton would've been a good fit. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Blige.  Mowbray is someone I really like and would’ve loved him here.  Made from a similar cloth to Nige.

It’s a common misconception from people. They take Mowbrays image and assume his teams will play like Mick McCarthy’s teams. In actual fact his teams play attacking fast touch football.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Houghton - on paper, I can see why it was appealing. I just don't think he'd have worked here.

Our fans tend to warm to more salt-of-the-earth types (GJ, SC, NP) - and don't warm to people who aren't naturally charismatic and/or talk in fluffy detail (SO'D, LJ, Coppell). With that in mind, I don't think Houghton would've been a good fit. 

Hodgson got the hospital pass of all time from him.

Arrived as his mate’s assistant, we were going bust, had players on big money whose days were long behind them & kids, plus Moller & Harford who we were then made to sell.

Made what Russell Osman had to work with look like Barca.

Houghton just really didn’t know the English market, Harford was an excellent signing but otherwise he either signed shite (Peter Devine, anyone?) or players he knew from Sweden like Moller.

Edited by GrahamC

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hodgson got the hospital pass of all time from him.

Arrived as his mate’s assistant, we were going bust, had players on big money whose days were long behind them & kids, plus Moller & Harford who we were then made to sell.

Made what Russell Osman had to work with look like Barca.

Houghton just really didn’t know the English market, Harford was an excellent signing but otherwise he either signed shite (Peter Devine, anyone?) or players he knew from Sweden like Moller.

Yes apologies, meant Chris *Hughton

• Thanks 2