IGNORED

Watford to change manager? (yet again)

AberRed

On 12/04/2023 at 14:23, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I do wonder what the process of choosing managers is. Do they just put around 500 names in a large hat and then get some child to be blindfolded and pick one. 

On 12/04/2023 at 14:32, ScottishRed said:

They use  LJ’s tombola machine.

I am expecting to see it advertised on TV like that OMAZE draw to win a £1m house in some random part of the country, a hefty amount of cash and a gas guzzling supercar. 

"Enter our draw* to win a chance to become Manager. You will receive £30,000pw for six months for only one month's work, an all expenses paid stay in a luxury hotel in the Hertfordshire countryside for the month, and a company car. Draw for this month closes at midnight Saturday"

*No purchase necessary, see terms and conditions. 1 month work is dependent on results and may vary in length.

:)

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seconded- that is a strong insight, many thanks for it- and NP non-footballing reasons I did wonder.

He's been quite unlucky in his career in some ways IMO albeit we are lucky to have him. I'm possibly biased but I honestly think he could hold his own as manager of a bottom third to perhaps lower midtable PL side.

I mean it was alleged rather than anything proven but did seem a bit odd he went so soon after this supposed incident came out in the media. and with basically a week left of the season and on his contract.

We had 2 games v Arsenal and Man City (least you seem to give them a game btw!) as it was the prolonged COVID season so surely even our board didn't expect a change to make any difference and we only appointed a care taker anyway?

Basically we've been sacking managers since they got here with Dyche first being replaced by Zola which was pretty random in itself but worked for a season and we sort of got away with that due to being promoted and staying in the Premier league despite the chaos  but it's rather unraveled in the past 2 seasons particularly

3 managers a season and getting worse each time pretty much. - in theory Wilder's result mean he could well be sacked (1 win and losing to the likes of QPR, Huddersfield, drawing at home to Wigan) when you consider Edwards was dumped after beating Burnley/Sheffield United and drawing at WBA.

Of course it might just be we have a set of under performing players and others who aren't actually that good...

But as we see more and more in football generally it's the manager who gets blamed.

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the thread title does anyone else have to keep checking back to the OP to be certain as to what manager it is that Watford have just sacked, in case they've missed one?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am expecting to see it advertised on TV like that OMAZE draw to win a £1m house in some random part of the country, a hefty amount of cash and a gas guzzling supercar. 

"Enter our draw* to win a chance to become Manager. You will receive £30,000pw for six months for only one month's work, an all expenses paid stay in a luxury hotel in the Hertfordshire countryside for the month, and a company car. Draw for this month closes at midnight Saturday"

*No purchase necessary, see terms and conditions. 1 month work is dependent on results and may vary in length.

:)

I’m winning that house in Cornwall, I’m telling you!

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2023 at 15:26, Coxy27 said:

15-16 prem - 13th, FA Cup Semi Final

16-17 prem - 17th

17-18 prem - 14th

18-19 prem - 11th, FA Cup Final

19-20 prem - 19th (relegated)

20-21 Champ - 2nd promoted

21-22 Prem - 19th (relegated)

So to answer your question... 5 seasons the first time? Two good cup runs, some great results. I am sure the fans enjoyed the ride.

I think you're suffering from a short memory, personally.

In those 6 seasons they've pretty much covered our entire history!

Much like Chelsea, the last 25 years represents their best league performance in their history and they've had 23 managers in that time. Strange how changing manager every five minutes seems to work reasonably well for some clubs and for others it's a disaster.